FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"New" 2014 Auto Ordnance Carbine/first intro post

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
adam lee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "New" 2014 Auto Ordnance Carbine/first intro post
    Posted: Jul 31 2023 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

On the mag spring issue....before you try anything else, remove the spring taking note of exactly how it sits in the mag. try rotating it front to back and reinstall it that way. Sometimes the springs are put in backwards and the feeding gets problematic. turning the spring 180 degrees will often cure the feeding problem.

Thanks for the tip - 
in fact, that's something that I learned about elsewhere and applied it into my practice - I took apart my existing mags, and checked to see the "directionality" of the springs and they seemed to be going the "right" way.

I have done that to only 2 mags, so I still have to check 3 other new Korean mags and see how they came.

My plans going forward are to gather an assortment of old GI/NOS 15-rounders and see how they do. 

Ultimately, I would like to see how an original 42-45 trigger housing fits in the A/O receiver. Also would like to see how an original 42-45 bolt fits. Good chance neither will, but my "game plan" is to see how many GI items could work on this particular commercial carbine.

So far, the 1950's-1960's era M2 stock and WW2 era old handguard fits and allows the action to cycle. And this was all because I replaced the A/O type 1 replica barrel band with a vintage type 3 band. 

More later, as I can find the time.

Adam

Yesterday, it worked. Today it is not working. Windows is like that.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2023 at 6:57pm
On the mag spring issue....before you try anything else, remove the spring taking note of exactly how it sits in the mag. try rotating it front to back and reinstall it that way. Sometimes the springs are put in backwards and the feeding gets problematic. turning the spring 180 degrees will often cure the feeding problem.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
adam lee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote adam lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2023 at 10:24am
Hello, commercial carbine friends!

My update on the 2014 A/O Kahr M1 Carbine follows.

I just made the two best purchases so far in my project carbine story - one; I got a Type 3 barrel band from SARCO and two - I got the appropriate tools to remove/replace the front sight. 

Barrel band fitment made the total difference in how this A/O barreled receiver fits and works. No more popping off handguard - it stays fine. Now, the carbine shoots fine without any hiccups - in the box of 50 I shot the other day. 

Next up is getting .30 Carbine dies so I can cook up more ammo for myself. I know this is a short follow-up, but I did want to make clear that the old stock/old handguard swap with the Type 3 barrel band WILL work in the later-model Kahr Carbines.

After I'm back home from travel, I'll get a few photos going.

Thanks!

Adam
Don.Collier View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Don.Collier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2022 at 9:22am
Originally posted by adam lee adam lee wrote:

Yes, an updated band is on my list of things to do. In fact, I was going to order a late style barrel band with bayonet lug to "match" the potbelly M2 stock I picked up from J&G.

Will return as I can with follow-ups!

Adam Lee

Adam,
As a new AOM-150 owner I appreciate your detailed updates, especially on the stock fitment. I’m not a huge fan of the paratrooper stock and would like to replace with… something.  Keep the updates coming, if/when possible.  Thanks!
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2022 at 8:04am

Yes, an updated band is on my list of things to do. In fact, I was going to order a late style barrel band with bayonet lug to "match" the potbelly M2 stock I picked up from J&G.

Adam Lee

Numrich gun parts corp has NOS USGI type 3 bands for $20. I'd tacked one on to an order a few months back and it's indeed USGI with a dark parkerized finish (not blued), as I recall it was JM marked.
adam lee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2022 at 11:53pm

Adam Lee
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2022 at 7:19pm
I would change the barrel band to something other than the A/O one. IIRR those are cheaply made
adam lee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2022 at 6:29pm
Hello yall - 

I am back with a field report update. I took my 2014 Kahr/Auto Ordnance Carbine out for a spin with a couple other toys recently, at my local WMA - Myrtle Grove in Charles County, MD. 
The carbine shot well - I only popped less than 50 rounds that day - except for two key problems. One was magazines. All I had were 4 brand new Korean KCI 15-round mags, and they were hit and miss. That was purely a mag spring/feeding issue, it seemed like.

Second issue was my flipping M2 stock and handguard swap - I shouldn't have done that and instead should have just left the stock original to the carbine. As you all probably know, A/O stocks and receivers are slightly off on dimensions from OG carbines. Well, that little difference made a difference - eventually, I will fine tune the old M2 stock and handguard to work.

However, with that setup, every 4 rounds or so the dang handguard would pop off and I'd have to shoot without for a few rounds. Purely a dimensional difference with the barrel band making contact with the handguard. My bad. I will just use the Auto Ordnance stock next week.

I think I can see where these KCI new Korean 15-rounders vary between mags. Bummer, but not surprised. I just need to invest in a variety of surplus and new mags and do some work on springs and tweaking the feed lips.

Sorry no pics, but I wanted to do the update. I am just glad the dang thing cycles and shoots OK - barring the mags and handguard issues!

My other fun guns that came along for the ride were my handmade Anderson-lower M4 clone, and my Rossi 92 lever 357.  I have great fun with those toys. I hand load 38/357 and recently got a 556/223 die set for that too. 

OK there you go - take care all!

Adam Lee
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2022 at 6:56pm

Hey guys, 

Here are some pics of an old NOS M2 stock which I swapped on my 2014 AO carbine. The handguard is a very well-worn Inland which fits but sure is fugly.

I got this M2 unissued stock from J&G sales recently. It is dry as a bone. Need linseed oil to get it back to health, otherwise I'm happy with the swap. This M2 is one of the completely unmarked jobs, birch wood. 

Nice job
adam lee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2022 at 2:29pm
Hey guys, 

Here are some pics of an old NOS M2 stock which I swapped on my 2014 AO carbine. The handguard is a very well-worn Inland which fits but sure is fugly.

I got this M2 unissued stock from J&G sales recently. It is dry as a bone. Need linseed oil to get it back to health, otherwise I'm happy with the swap. This M2 is one of the completely unmarked jobs, birch wood. 

DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2022 at 5:40pm
Good luck with it (I had one that was a POS)

I'm guessing you've read this

Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2022 at 5:07pm
Adam, welcome to the party. Your report sounds like you are off to a good start prepping your commercial carbine. Shoot it and give us a range report. I hope you enjoy your newish carbine.
adam lee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2022 at 1:09pm
Thanks for the welcome, Floyd!

Yes, the Carbine-specific web pages are a godsend. I've been reading every one of them more recently, as I was prepping for my recent gun swap trade that netted me this 2014 Kahr/Auto Ordnance carbine.

From a practical standpoint, I stripped the gun down to a pile of parts and cleaned it all. Hand fit the individual parts to see where the rough edges need honing/polishing/Dremel work. Specifically, places where the bolt body rides into the receiver - some obvious stuff to smooth out and that's going to happen.

Beyond that, I did the recommended piston nut check - and yes, it was super loose! Snugged it back down with a non-piston nut wrench, so at some point I will shop around for one. 

AO upper handguard is 1/16" too wide on the one side, as folks have noted. Gotta love that Altamont gun stock company for offering a cheaper mill for Kahr to cut costs! But I'm guessing that's just Kahr's business decision to offer guns at a competitive price point.

And of course, the sling/oiler cutout isn't finished completely, again the Altamont cost-cutting move. Nose of the stock doesn't have the proper finished rounded cut either.

All of these things I can either correct myself, or work an old Marlin M2 stock/handguard to fit. 

Fun and games! 

Take care. 
Adam
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2022 at 4:36pm
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you might be aware of some bad press concerning AO carbines. Most of us do appreciate a challenge. Be sure to click on the banner above and go to the web pages where you can select Commercial Carbines then Companies and Carbines to enjoy some good reading.

Good luck!
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2022 at 4:31pm
Welcome to the forum. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
adam lee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote adam lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2022 at 3:44pm
Hello, Carbine Collectors and M1 Carbine fans in general. My name is Adam, and I just traded for a NIB condition Kahr/Auto Ordnance carbine. Born date for the rifle is 2014 (checked with Kahr Arms online) and looks like it had maybe a box of ammo run through it is all. 

Typical Kahr/Auto Ordnance in that it looks great but needs those rough internals smoothed out. As a fan and user of Rossi 92 lever rifles, I am used to the DIY/fix-it yerself mentality and it's also something I like to do as a hobby. 

Looking forward to chatting and learning more about the commercial as well as the USGI carbines on this site. Thanks for your time!

Adam Lee

Post Reply Post Reply