Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Muzzle Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muzzle Brakes
    Posted: Feb 01 2022 at 12:03pm
As an M1 Carbine shooter not concerned with rifle collectiblity I'm interested in possibly adding muzzle brakes to my two shooters.

Anyone with experience with available products?

Help appreciated. 
David Milisock
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2022 at 12:58pm
David, are you talking about the clamp on recoil checks? If so, they can be found just about everywhere, both reproduction and USGI. I have shot with a USGI recoil check attached many times and personally did not think there was any noticeable difference in recoil or muzzle jump. Maybe it would make a difference with a M2.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2022 at 6:17pm
Thanks I'll give them a try. 

I'm going to look around for a newer product as todays muzzle brake technology is really good. I have an Aero Precision AR 15 M4E in 6MM ARC  The ARC shoots a 105 grain at 2550 FPS and with the brake the recoil is greatly reduced and I mean WOW reduced. 
David Milisock
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2022 at 8:13pm
W5, I shot an M2 with one and it really didn't make enough of a difference to mention. I thought it was pretty useless myself.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2022 at 8:29am
here is a longtime contributor to the club selling one for less

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2022 at 9:17am
Here's an after market brake I found. https://www.keepshooting.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=muzzle+brake+m1+carbine

I just ordered them so I'll post a report after I mount them. At $14.95 +shipping and tax each it seemed a reasonable risk.

My only 2 issues with the Carbine is the range limitation and when rapid firing they're bouncy. The M4 5.56 is bouncy too but in wind its range limitation is about 400 yards. 

With that said I still prefer the M1A1, it's lighter to carry and just as reliable. 
David Milisock
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2022 at 1:10pm
Here are the pics, with shipping and tax $22 a piece.

Edited by David Milisock - Feb 08 2022 at 1:36pm
David Milisock
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2022 at 2:29pm
One of the issues with the aftermarket attachments is that they don't have a locking wingnut like the USGI hiders and recoil checks do. It may loosen when firing.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2022 at 2:59pm
That won't be an issue, I'll place one on.
David Milisock
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2022 at 3:00pm
David Milisock
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2022 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

I have shot with a USGI recoil check attached many times and personally did not think there was any noticeable difference in recoil or muzzle jump.

I agree completely. I bought one 30 years ago when I was shooting IPSC regularly, and would shoot the occasional 3-gun match. I tried it on my Carbine at the time, thinking I might be able to quicken sight re-acquisition, but it did not make any noticeable difference. I also thought using a Carbine would be different and fun. I ended up using an AR, instead.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2022 at 9:49am
I was looking for a more modern design but saw none. I haven't shot them yet I hope to today. 

My AR15 M4E by Aero Precision in 6MM ARC has a brake and the recoil is amazingly low.

I have an M1A1 and a Frankenstein tactical. The M1A1 in rapid fire jumps around a great deal, the tactical is a bit better but it's a pound and a half heavier.

When I was in the military I carried an M2 in M1A1 configuration without a break, it bounced around but it wasn't so bad that I'd call it ineffective.  

I'll post my thoughts on the effect these breaks have on my rifles. I don't expect alot these are 70 year old designs.
David Milisock
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2022 at 10:42am
David, There were several muzzle brake devices from field expedient, commercial screw on, solder on and set screw type devices.
They are featured in the newsletters and War Baby series.

I would think the types with thinner slots or holes that may work a better with an M1, but I have no experience with any of them.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2022 at 5:50pm
I managed to shoot both rifles today and I was pleasantly surprised because of the negative statements. 

Carbine recoil is not much to start with but muzzle rise is. The M1A1 had some reduced recoil but significantly reduced muzzle rise, you notice it more when firing at a rate like 3 shots in 2 seconds.

The tactical behaves better without the brake than the M1A1 so the effects of the brake seemed a bit less but was a significant improvement. 

Well worth the $14.95 +tax and shipping, total about $22 per piece.
David Milisock
Don.Collier View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don.Collier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2022 at 9:44am
If I may piggyback, I have a commercial carbine so i'm not concerned with altering a historical piece.  If the front sight on my auto-ordnance comes loose again I thought about just removing it and adding a red dot on an ultimak rail.  

I was thinking if I did that it would be cool, in my opinion, to add threads to the barrel and screw on an AR-15 type birdcage flash hider.  

Ive seen this done similarly on other weapons platforms, just curious if anyone has bubba'd a carbine like this?  Thanks in advance.  (sorry for thread jacking)
 Post Reply Post Reply