Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Wanted+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WT Acquire 1911A1 Remington Rand Serno 1,007,294

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WT Acquire 1911A1 Remington Rand Serno 1,007,294
    Posted: May 11 2022 at 9:08am
This is a serious attempt to acquire 1911A1 Remington Rand Serial Number 1,007,294.  I have other items from the vet, with extensive provenance.  The RR was sold before I obtained my items. 

The pistol was sold on pre98 in 2017.

At my request, pre98 recently contacted the owner.  Apparently he is a serious collector.  He will not sell but might trade for like pistol in same condition.  If you have something I can buy and then trade, let me know.

Thanks
hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2022 at 8:01pm
Here is the (rest of the) story.

In 2015, I bought an early & original Underwood from a retired Army major and the son of the WWII vet who was issued the carbine.  The seller provided his father’s educational and military history as provenance.  He also said his father was issued a Remington Rand 1911A1, which he had recently sold.  I attempted to locate the pistol but was not successful.  Last year, through coincidence, I met the initial purchaser of the Remington Rand.  He supplied the serial number and other information that aided my search.  Finally, seven years since purchasing the Underwood, I was able to locate and acquire the 1911A1.

The pistol arrived last week.  The Remington Rand is a fairly rare issue based on markings and finish.  It and the Underwood are both in original configuration.  They were both issued, carried, and brought home by the same Army Captain.

Here they are, paired up again.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2022 at 8:24pm
Glen, absolutely amazing that you got them together again. Very nice!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2022 at 9:03pm
That’s awesome! What’s was the Captain's wartime experience? Anything interesting?
hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2022 at 9:32pm
Supply officer for MacArthur.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2022 at 11:03pm
Wow! Congrats and well done. I guess the 1911 owner must have known it was right for them to be together in order to part with such a fine pistol. If you did end up trading that had to be hard work to find one equally as nice.
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2022 at 5:05pm
Congratulations!  That is an amazing effort in tracking down the 1911.  Those are very, very nice pieces you've added to your collection.  
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2022 at 7:35pm
Very nice Glen; they found a good home. Would be interested in hearing about the veterans military history. Any additional accessories come along with them?
hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2022 at 9:16pm
Dave, thanks.  I've had several inquiries about the vet so I may post something in a different section.  The condition of the weapons indicate they didn't see much combat.  Interestingly, he was also issued a Remington Model 11 12 gauge shotgun, but I don't have the serial number for that one . . . yet.

thirtyround View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirtyround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2022 at 9:57pm
Fantastic history and weapons as well. Whatever it took to get the two back together I'm sure was well worth it. Some things,... are valuable in other ways and worth more than money. Nevertheless, as time goes by, the value, based on the providence will be considerable through the years. Congrats on the rescue. JB
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2022 at 7:12am
Originally posted by hunterman hunterman wrote:

Dave, thanks.  I've had several inquiries about the vet so I may post something in a different section.  The condition of the weapons indicate they didn't see much combat.  Interestingly, he was also issued a Remington Model 11 12 gauge shotgun, but I don't have the serial number for that one . . . yet.

Need to setup a photo shoot, that includes a couple of period correct typewriters.
Would make for a nice site banner. Wink
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2022 at 10:45am
Originally posted by ncin1911 ncin1911 wrote:

Originally posted by hunterman hunterman wrote:

Need to setup a photo shoot, that includes a couple of period correct typewriters.
Would make for a nice site banner. Wink

I see the site banner was rotated; nice Underwood tribute.
Where's the Rand?
Oh wait, "The Carbine Collectors Club"; my bad. Embarrassed
Here is a Rand anyways.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2022 at 10:36am
Excellent! Great to hear they are back together! Now we need pics, lots of pics Wink

On typewriters, do not forget Royal Typewriter made carbine parts!

couple of Underwoods here

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2022 at 2:21pm
Here is an "after the fact" thing that ties Remington Rand to the carbine.
Remington Rand was bought by Sperry Gyroscope, which made the T-120 infrared Telescope.

Scroll 1/4 the way down the page

Previously they acquired a company whose founders were the makers of the ENIAC and the following year Remington Rand produced the Univac.
So they fall right in line with business machines and computer companies like IBM and others that produced parts for the M1 carbine
 Post Reply Post Reply