The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

30 Carbine Ammunition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30 Carbine Ammunition
    Posted: Feb 26 2017 at 7:56pm
I just purchased 200 rounds of Armscor 110 gr. FMJ for target and general plinking. It was priced at slightly over $22/50 rounds. Remington FMJ 110 grain was $29.00+ for the same basic cartridge. Is there something inferior with the brass or loading oh the Armscor ammunition? Is there really anything to be concerned about the Armscor rounds?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2017 at 8:10pm
Haven't triied either of those, but I've had excellant results with Prvi Partizan. Also tried Lake Citty with mixed results.
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2017 at 8:57pm
Cabelas had the Prvi in 110 gr soft points, so I went with the Armscor FMJ, plus it was $6 /box more. Just can't see the need for soft points unless I were to use the little M1 for home defense... plinking I shoot the less expensive rounds. I could not bring myself to buy the Wolf steel cased 30 Carbine. I am not that much of a cheapskate.
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2017 at 9:27pm
I tried Armscor  carbine, and it worked ok, but seemed a little low on power, and I HATE how it is boxed. The rounds are not in deep enough in the holder to keep them in place, and they were all over when opened. 

I found PPU FMJ and JHP are top notch. Sportsmanguide has Free Shipping a few times every month, and good people to deal with. 

Retired Army, 22 years.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2017 at 10:17pm
You cannot go wrong with PPU ammo price wise or reliability wise either. I can find it at gun shows for just above 20 bucks a box and I am pretty sure you can get it online cheaper for less maybe. I can't speak for Armscor, but without a doubt stay away from Aguila and Tula, they are just not worth the trouble.
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2017 at 10:50pm
When I saw made in Mexico, I put it down. My initial exposure to Wolf with my AR was enough for me. It shot filthy, stuck in my firearm and would not reliably function. I look for the PPU cartridges. I want to stockpile a bit of ammo and shoot my rifle sufficiently to become fully aware of how this piece shoots an to become proficient with my M1.
patrickduis View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2017 at 2:58am
I used PRVI for many hundreds of rounds with great success. Lost the .30m1 clubmatch last year (best total score of 10x (10x standing+10x kneeled) with just 1 point and finished second.
Various Inlands, Underwoods, I.B.M.s and an NPM
NVBIW, NVWHT, NVBMB, KNSA member
Conservator Military Historical Museum Achtmaal U.S. 104th I.D. Timberwolves
www.militairhistorischmuseumachtmaal.nl
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2017 at 6:10am
I predominately shoot Armscor and must be getting the good stuff. It's been the most economical that I've found and has been reliable and accurate. I mostly try to purchase enough commercial to obtain a decent brass-count for reloading and I'm reloading Armscor projectiles for the most part. I have recognized that the brass is not the best of quality from a reloading standpoint. The jury is still out on how many turns I can get from the brass, but I'll continue to purchase it when it shows-up for decent prices, around $18 as I recall. The Armscor projectiles I've been getting for reloading have been dimensionally consistent.
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2017 at 7:18am
Good to know. I'll shoot it and see how it fares... thanks for the reply, I feel better about my purchase.
bonnie View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2017 at 9:56am
My understanding is that Armscor, a Philippino arms company (Armscor/Rock Island 1911 pistol) also produces the m1 carbine round. They have ammunition plants in Montana and Nevada that I am aware of.

I got two hundred rounds of Armscor/USA carbine ammunition in a trade.
All of it worked very well through two of my carbines. Didn't notice any difference in felt recoil, accuracy or being excessively "dirty" compared to PPU which is my standard carbine round.

Won't hesitate to buy Armscor/USA when the price is right.

Can't speak to reloading as I only make empty brass.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2017 at 10:28am
If I weren't a reloading fanatic I'd likely not reload for the caliber 30 myself. By the time you purchase brass, the projectile and the ingredients....the cost/round is up there around 35-38 cents and that works out to be pretty darn close to what you can purchase commercial ammo for. It begins to pay-off after several loadings.

The Armscor brass is noticeably thinner than other brands, but if you don't plan to reload it multiple times, it'll never be an issue. All it has to do is stay together once.Big smile
patrickduis View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2017 at 10:33am
I noticed an increase in accuracy with reloaded rounds. My normal scores were 193/200 but last week while shooting reloaded PRVI brass with Vihtaviouri N110 powder I got 197/200 and a personal record.
A box of PRVI .30m1 costs about 26 euro's in Holland, so it makes sense here to reload.
Various Inlands, Underwoods, I.B.M.s and an NPM
NVBIW, NVWHT, NVBMB, KNSA member
Conservator Military Historical Museum Achtmaal U.S. 104th I.D. Timberwolves
www.militairhistorischmuseumachtmaal.nl
Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2017 at 2:01pm
Shot 100 rnds of Aguila last weekend.  One misfeed.  Based on feedback here I may go shoot the rest of it and get some PPU.  What sort of problems are folks experiencing with the Aguila? 
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2017 at 9:31pm
I'm going to start reloading. I've started with 200 pieces of brass, now I need to pick a bullet. I have found any number of soft nose or FMJ bullets, but a solid lead, copper plated 110 grain bullet caught my eye. Comes in at $.10-$.12/ bullet. Do any of you guys have any experience with plated bullets and are they a viable options for plinking, target shooting, etc.
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2017 at 10:19pm
I've loaded the copper plated bullets before and had no problem with them.
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2017 at 10:21pm
Thanks, one would think the copper plated lead bullets would be far less aggressive on a barrel...
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2017 at 3:46pm
If you read enough, you'll find a few comments concerning the coated bullets flaking and some having dimensional differences. I don't know, because I've not used any. Some shooters say their carbines don't like lead, or suggest it not be used over concerns about gas-system fouling. You may also have to consider down-loading lead (or lightly coated) projectiles. Here again, I don't know all the ins-and-outs of plated projectiles, but I'd imagine it's like most everything else....it depends on the quality. As long as the plating stays put under firing, leading may not be an issue. My carbines simply don't function well at muzzle-velocities low enough to load lead, or lightly plated lead projectiles. A gun can be tuned to cycle with lighter loads, but you'll have issues when you feed it full-house fodder. Armscorp FMJ projectiles can be found in the 10-cent range.

If you re-load already and have some of the tools, you can pay-out soon. If you have to purchase the dies, case-trimmer and all the loading components, you'll need to shoot a few thousand rounds to make the investment pay-out. BUT...it's fun!
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2017 at 5:25pm
Here are a couple of pic of what I shoot.  I have been shooting gas checked lead bullets for a little over 19 years.  I personally have had no problem with the gas system. The piston still moves freely and the rifle cycles flawlessly.  I cast my own bullets and small amount of tin to harden. I have not experienced any leading at all.  This was shot 75 yards sitting.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2017 at 6:40pm
I cast my on as well, but I don't install gas-checks. Reloading is fun and it's a great hobby, but I never go so far as adding gas-checks. Of course you know that with the gas-check, you can load-'em-up. I think the concern is shooting naked-lead projectiles under high pressures which can lead to vaporization of the base, which is not good for the gas-system. Nothing like getting immersed in reloading, I'm just not that deeply immersed when I can purchase FMJ or TMJ projectiles for less than the total cost of casting, sizing, adding a gas-check, lubing....etc.

You make some good bullets....and accurate was well. I would like to know what mold you're using?

1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2017 at 9:01pm
The mold is a NOE four cavity brass.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>