Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

5 round magazine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5 round magazine
    Posted: Mar 17 2017 at 4:23am
Yesterday I was at the Dutch armourers shop in Zundert (south of Netherlands). We discusses the misfires I had with my I.B.M. carbine and that it was solved by using Federal iso S&B primers.
He also told me a nice issue he had with a few carbines that they actually did not headspace on the rim of the cartridge, but on the extractor. I checked this with my carbine and this was not the case.

After that he showed me some nice things he had for the carbine, a grenade launcher sight, a flash hider but also a 5 round magazine, that was very nice to see. I didn't know they existed. It was not WWII original but aftermarket, no real markings on it except for a smiley (very funny!).
Various Inlands, Underwoods, I.B.M.s and an NPM
NVBIW, NVWHT, NVBMB, KNSA member
Conservator Military Historical Museum Achtmaal U.S. 104th I.D. Timberwolves
www.militairhistorischmuseumachtmaal.nl
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2017 at 6:15am
5-rounder's are pretty popular. You can find them, but they usually go for 2X the price of a 15-round magazine. Limiting you to 5-rounds for hunting is common. They make the carbine more streamlined and easy to store and carry. AVOID the commercial 5-round carbine magazines...they don't fit the USGI in most cases.

If the chamber is too deep or the round too short, the extractor claw may be the only thing holding it in place close enough to the bolt-face for the firing pin to strike deep enough to ignite the primer. The old Colt 38-Super barrels did not head-space on the case mouth. They head-spaced on the nose of the bullet, or on the extractor claw. Colt was not the only company that used that technique. Colt eventually changed the chamber design for head-spacing on the case mouth. They never were actually designed to head-space on the extractor, but that's the term most shooters used. It was considered okay then, now it's considered a broken and dangerous gun. Perforating primers was a common complaint.
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2017 at 8:23am
The hassle of the extractor interfering with the head space most likely had some using a different method. I remember our armor in Nam modified a head space tool to allow it to be checked with the extractor being still in the bolt. The ones that Foster sells now works fine with the extractor still in it. I use them now. Here is a section on  my Carbine Page about it.

http://webpages.charter.net/wd4ngb/head%20space.htm
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2017 at 5:53pm
Had to get one for a trip to an unfriendly 15/30 round state and was surprised at their cost. Quite the eye opener for something that holds so few rounds.
Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2017 at 11:46am
Mr. William Doerfner, General Manager of Saginaw Steering Gear from 1941-1965, gave me a un-serial numbered carbine that was one of a few that were made up in the SG factory for upper management. Included were two 5-round magazines that were cut down from 15-round magazines, to make them legal for hunting in Michigan during WWII. Yes, it was considered normal behavior to take a "presentation carbine" hunting! LOL.

These mags were probably cut down with a band saw. The original construction technique was copied, fashioning two narrow rectangular tabs at the bottom to retain the base plate. Although a bit crude looking, compared to factory-made 5 rounders, they work just fine, and there was - obviously - nothing else available during WWII.   It's funny to think about a time when carbines were neither available to the general public, nor collectable! People collected coins and stamps back then, how boring!

Marty Black
 Post Reply Post Reply