Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another IBM M1 Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcull49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another IBM M1 Carbine
    Posted: Mar 20 2022 at 3:05pm
I purchased this M1 in about 1967. I haven't seen another with this type of open site. The serial number is 3866399 which I believe makes it a late '43 model. It would be interesting to know more about the model.
Thanks
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2022 at 3:12pm
Clearly a Bavarian carbine...and a nice one too.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2022 at 3:16pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2022 at 5:45pm
Nice Bavarian! Yours appears to have the "black substance" covering the agency marking, or it's removal, on the left top edge of the receiver. Do the parts that have a serial match the last 4 of the receiver serial #? It's difficult to find one with the notch sight intact.
rcull49 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcull49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2022 at 11:05pm
It has the number 2060 stamped on the top of the bolt, and it is also etched right beside the stamping with the same number. Not sure where to find the receiver serial number, and I am running off for a couple of days in the morning, so I will look more when I return, Thanks!
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2022 at 7:49pm
The number on the bolt does not match the last 4 of the serial number. It is a replacement for the original bolt.

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2022 at 8:04pm
Are any other parts etched or stamped with the last 4? Also check the stock sling well and the bottom edge of the handguard. Bolts might have been swapped if the carbine was stored or shipped with the bolt removed and other parts are matching to the receiver serial. Even if they aren't matching... It's a great rifle with the notch sight intact. 2 of my Bavarians are all numbers matching, one partial, one non-matching.
rcull49 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcull49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2022 at 10:56pm
I have found the stock shows a different number, possibly 6890. Behind the front site is IBM corp.On the left side of the rear sight, it has the H. On the rear of the trigger assembly is 2060 and 2060 also appears on the right side of the operating slide which matches the 2060 on the bolt. I suppose that means much of the gun is matched, but not to the reciever serial number, and it has had a replacement stock.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2022 at 6:49am
Do you have this mark on the bottom of the barrel behind the rear sight?

are their markings on the bottom of the trigger housing?
rcull49 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcull49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2022 at 10:50am
I do not see any markings under the barrel behind the sight, or on the trigger guard.

sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2022 at 1:09am
rcull49,

Thanks for sharing your info and pics.

Century Arms brought back thousands of the Bavarians in 1974. All first went to their warehouse in St. Laurent, Quebec, where the shipment was divided up and some were imported into the USA from Canada. Some were distributed and sold in Canada. Over time there may have been other shipments imported into Canada. So, I would not expect to see an import mark on yours.

The removal of the rear sight, that particular insert that fills the dovetail, and your notched sight added to the front of the receiver was a modification done by some of the Bavaria police agencies. All I have seen that still have their police markings have been Bavaria Rural Police or Bavaria Border Police.

Bavaria removed the police markings on many before they were sold. Look close at the top of the receiver to the left of the bolt and you can see it has been painted or refinished.

Bavaria obtained their spare/replacement parts from carbines no longer serviceable. So the parts they initially added the last 3 or 4 digits of the serial number on (bolt, slide, trigger housing, stock, handguard) occasionally got swapped out. Importers sometimes did the same.

Given how nice yours looks I suspect someone who owned it before you did a nice job of maintaining and maybe restoring/replacing some of the parts on your carbine. They were shooters long before they became collectable.

That rear sight mod wasn't real common and over time many owners have removed them and reinstalled a peep sight. Since the history has become known there are some owners and collectors that put a higher value on those with this sight mod as it's somewhat rare and part of the carbine's history. Also, I like that rear sight versus a peep sight. It's easier and faster to use for close quarters engagements.

Hope this info helps.

Jim
rcull49 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcull49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2022 at 12:47pm
Jim,

What you say fits my rifle well. Except mine would have been acquired through an earlier purchase as I already owned it for several years in 1974. Like you say, the left side of the receiver shows that it may have some "paint" on it, but I have no desire to disturb it.
Since I am the first owner after a firearms dealer, I know how little use this one got in civilian life. My father was a police officer who dealt regularly with the gun shop and the owner choose this one for me, for whatever that was worth, it may mean it wasn't the worst example in his inventory.:) Any restoration work would have been done by the agencies it flowed through.
And, I agree, while as an M1, I always thought the site should have been a military style peep, I actually prefer to use the one it has.
Thanks 
 Post Reply Post Reply