The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another New Member

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMadMecha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another New Member
    Posted: Oct 14 2019 at 2:24pm
Hey folks, I am new to M1 Carbines, but I honestly bumped into this website when doing research on the one I just bought, so I figured I would sign up!

I managed to pick up a Standard Products with a 2144XXX serial.  Story on the rifle goes that it was bought in the late 50s from the CMP by the previous owner's father (even showed me the original receipt from the CMP, a whooping $20 with shipping!).  It was passed down to him at some point to which he tried to tactical it out, but it mostly sat in a safe.  I bought it from him about 2 weeks ago and have been working on trying to get it 1) back to original WWII configuration, and 2) so I can use it for reenacting.  Luckily he kept the original stock and handguard so it was just a few turns of a screw driver.

Thanks to massive help from this site I know A LOT to look out for, and found the following:

- Underwood 12-43 dated barrel (which is in really good shape)
- Round bolt
- Type V slide
- Inland trigger housing
- Irwin replacement stock
- Two rivet deep sight groove handguard
- Type II barrel band
- Winchester hammer

Right now I am putting all the info on the rifle onto the data sheet (which is AMAZING to have, I'm so glad someone put that together).

I was originally going to look into getting it adapted for blanks, but with a barrel in this good of shape and prominence I am having second thoughts on drilling and tapping the barrel for a set screw and looking for other options.

Thanks for having me, and I hope to learn more!
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2019 at 2:35pm
Welcome to the forum. We would love to see some pictures of your SP. Fulton armory sells German BFAs for M1 carbines, no idea how good they work but no drilling and tapping is necessary.
https://www.fulton-armory.com/blank-firing-adaptor-new-german-manufacture-m1-carbine.aspx

And page down on this link for more info on the German Blank Firing Adapter.

http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/germanyaccess.html

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2019 at 2:49pm
Hi and welcome to the Collectors Club from New Mexico!

Your barrel is likely original to the carbine. Any markings on the left side of the receiver? SP liked to put various numbers and letters (other than subcontractor codes) on their parts that give us collectors fits trying to understand what they mean. You will see that on parts like the receiver, operating slide, bolt and butt plate.
JackP
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2019 at 8:29pm
Hello and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are having fun with your carbine. Post some photos and tell us about your range trip. 
TheMadMecha View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMadMecha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2019 at 2:50pm
I am working on getting some pictures once I get it out to put some rounds through it.  It really is a nice gun.

I am amazed at the amount of information on this site though.  So many manufacturers made parts for these, I wouldn't even begin to try to find out what each stamp means without it.

Is someone still collecting data sheets?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2019 at 3:36pm
Send data sheets to Datasheet@uscarbinecal30.com
On a mixmaster pay attention to the barrel and receiver markings that may be on the side or bottom. Make notes on the back of the data sheet.

welcome to the carbine asylum!

Edited by New2brass - Oct 29 2019 at 8:00pm
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2019 at 8:58am
I've attempted to send sheets to that address and they just bounce. Is this due to size or jpg format? Hope this helps someone else.

Datasheet@uscarbinecal30.com

Edited by tenOCEE - Oct 29 2019 at 8:08pm
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2019 at 9:36am
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

I've attempted to send sheets to that address and they just bounce. Is this due to size or jpg format?

I believe that the data sheet link goes to a few different members email accounts, I sent in 11 or 12 data sheets earlier this year I got a failure notice for each one from one particular email account saying "The users mailfolder is over the allowed quota (size)" but I know they were received by m1a1fan as he acknowledged receipt of each one.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2019 at 9:47am
Ok, well maybe someone will respond to the PMs and emails I also sent after the submitted sheets and verify that they were indeed received.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2019 at 9:55am
Some are receiving them. Some are not. The issue is being word as I understand it. Certain emails have been having issues lately. Send them to me directly as I would like to see them and always try to respond.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2019 at 10:10am
I've  sent them again, to you directly at T S email, Ted.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2019 at 10:46am
I do not think the CMP ever sold them for $20, it was the NRA and or the DCM (predecessor to the CMP)

If you have a CMP certificate or the NRA, DCM documentation you may want to reconsider correcting that carbine.

CMP cert means it was checked and graded. Swapping the bolt may change that.

Early sales carbines with receipts are fetching a premium.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2019 at 8:01pm
please note I screwed up on the datasheet address.  It is actually 
Datasheet@uscarbinecal30.com 
 Post Reply Post Reply