Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carbine Bayonet on CMP Auction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbine Bayonet on CMP Auction
    Posted: May 02 2017 at 9:42am
http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail.asp?id=3887&n=KI-M4-Carbine-Bayonet-with-M8A1-Scabbard

Current bid $457? Seems a bit high to me...what the going price for a quality carbine bayonet these days?
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 12:53pm
I don't know about the "quality" part but eBay has what appears to be a few in good shape with leather washers going in the $250 to $475 range.  Didn't check GB.  For a "new" one from what should be a reputable seller this might be about right.  Especially this being an early production Kinfolks who made the second fewest M4s.  However the scabbard looks kind of odd with the blackish throat.   Seems like it should be more olive drab. 
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 10:35pm
Condition is everything to many collectors, and this bayonet appears unissued. Over the years, I've seen bayonet prices lag behind the firearms to which they are associated, and we're now seeing them appreciate quickly in price like Carbines have over the past several years. My M4 Bayonet is probably worth almost 25x what I paid for it in 1984. Accessories can be extremely expensive. Just look at Colt era, and even WWII era Thompson Submachine Gun accessories.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
 Post Reply Post Reply