Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carbine Photo of the Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Timothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2022 at 12:41pm
Another photo from Tec5 Gerhart Rau’s photo album. Not sure who Steve the Hungarian is, other than he must of been a friendly civilian. Has to be somewhere between June’44 Utah Beach and Dec’45 Southern Germany. Was Steve a partisan who had his own Carbine? Did my uncles squad loan Steve the rifle in hopes of supplementing the company mess? Your guess as good as mine….unfortunately that generation of my family is now all gone, so no one knows for sure.

T R
DogDoc View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote DogDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2023 at 10:07am

This is my grandfather in Weilheim, Germany.  I am assuming it is after the German surrender and prior to Japan's surrender because there is another picture of troops from his division heading to the pacific.  He was in the 10th AD.  He loved carbines, I guess I inherited that.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2023 at 11:11am
Love these actual family pictures. Thanks for sharing DogDoc and Timothy! 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 9:52am
These are some wartime photos of the 33rd Signal Construction Battalion in the ETO. I found the photos posted on a Facebook page of the same name. They have a lot of great pictures posted, but as these prominently feature carbines I figured I would post them here.

SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 11:06am
The truck in the background looks like it may say "Express" across the front.  Maybe it says "Red Ball Express" for convoying supplies to the front lines?

Interesting that the top photo picture with the sling on carbine to left shows stenciled, maybe, letter and numbers.  Does the handguard on that carbine look like a bull-nose Winchester, maybe?  Highwood oval-cut stock...hard to tell.

Thanks for sharing.
Chad
USN Retired
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 11:27am
My grandfather was in the 90th Infantry Division during the war.

He started with the 90th's WWII reconstitution at Camp Barkley, TX in March 1942.

He was there for D-Day, all of the 90th's battles across Europe, and then stayed for the occupation of Germany until November 1945.

I have many pictures of him and places throughout the war, but in every picture I have, he always has either an M1 Garand or a Thompson SMG in his hand or sitting nearby.

FINALLY....I found a single picture of him holding an M1 Carbine!

Thank you for indulging me in posting this picture!

The church in the background, in another picture, is missing most of the steeple/belfry area.

Chad
USN Retired
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 11:44am
Originally posted by SSNPingjockey SSNPingjockey wrote:

The truck in the background looks like it may say "Express" across the front.  Maybe it says "Red Ball Express" for convoying supplies to the front lines?

LOL It just occurred to me that what I thought possibly read "Express" more likely says "Pressure" for the radiator, etc.  I guess many/most military vehicles had those stenciled warnings or specs on the hood/radiator area.
Chad
USN Retired
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by SSNPingjockey SSNPingjockey wrote:

Interesting that the top photo picture with the sling on carbine to left shows stenciled, maybe, letter and numbers.  Does the handguard on that carbine look like a bull-nose Winchester, maybe?  Highwood oval-cut stock...hard to tell.

Thanks for sharing.

I believe the carbines shown are Winchesters due to the flat profile of the underside of the stocks. 

The marking on the hood is going to be for the engine coolant. During the war it was standard practice to mark the hoods with PRESTONE or PRES and the the last two digits of the year that the coolant was added. See the last picture.

Here are some more pictures from the 33rd. One shows a nice side profile that clearly is a Winchester.

Bungalow Bill View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bungalow Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2023 at 8:35pm

I found this photo in a Dept of the Army manual and thought I’d share it. I’m fascinated by the use of M1 carbines in Vietnam. 

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 11:16am
They started them young over there.
Hi-wood on left, Selector on right.

Charlie-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 11:21am
US Special Forces instructor teaching bayonet use has a Type 3 Bayo lug, but also a rear Flip Sight

Charlie-P777

Ram1alaska View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram1alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 11:44am
Excellent pictures, always enjoy!
Thanks to all  !
Ram 1
pchanu View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pchanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

US Special Forces instructor teaching bayonet use has a Type 3 Bayo lug, but also a rear Flip Sight

Charlie-P777

Viets had kept French Army weapons, abandoned when leaving Indochina, that can explain the flip sight still on
jeepwm69 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepwm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 2:46pm
My dad traded an M2 carbine to a Montagrnard for a Springfield 1903 that he brought back from Vietnam.

He said the Springfield was way too big for the native to use, so he happily traded for the smaller M2.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 6:22pm
@ pchanu,
"Viets had kept French Army weapons, abandoned when leaving Indochina"

History of Carbines in Vietnam and Pics in this link:

The M1 Carbine was introduced into Vietnam by French troops during the late 1940s in their war with the communist Viet Minh forces. A large number of M1 carbines were captured and used by Viet Minh troops. After the First Indochina War ended in July 1954, M1 carbines filtered from the North into the hands of the developing Viet Cong guerrilla forces.

Charlie-P777
pchanu View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pchanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 2:33am
Thanks Charlie, didn’t know all this!! Great link!
Abel4287 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Abel4287 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 6:03pm
Photo taken in An Khe 1969, Nurse with a borrowed Carbine.
USMC 2111
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 9:15pm
My sister was a nurse at Lai Khe......
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
thirtyround View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirtyround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2023 at 11:39am
In addition, a good number of M2 Carbines as well...
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2023 at 5:22pm
Quite an array of weapons. Is the Colonel one of the men carrying a carbine?

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/3657/Life1.22.43.jpg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021>