Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Newsworthy Items
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carbines to the Seabees

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbines to the Seabees
    Posted: Dec 21 2015 at 9:05pm
January 2016-A

52nd NCB

ISSUANCE OF CARBINES TO “SEABEES,” FEBRUARY 1943

Don Hillhouse has found this 4 February 1943 document that refers to the transfer of 15,000 carbines to
the 52nd Naval Construction Battalion. The 52nd underwent advanced training and cold weather gear
issue at the Advance Base Depot, Port Hueneme, California in January before shipping out to their first
wartime assignment to various posts in the Aleutian Island chain, Alaska.
Carbine Club newsletter 384 features an in-depth analysis of carbine issuance by the US Navy in WWII.

Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2016 at 11:42pm
A Seabee is a member of the United States Naval Construction Forces (NCF). The word "Seabee" comes from initials "CB", which in turn comes from the term "Construction Battalion".
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2016 at 7:17pm

Bump for the few Seabee's that joined recently
weimar_police View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weimar_police Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2016 at 8:35pm
Seebees are bad dudes - they will be out in a firefight building - they did it in WW2 and Vietnam - I assume Korea, but do not know.

That would be cool to own from a 'liberated' vet

Ed
SteveG View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 12:44pm
My dad used to talk about carrying a M1 Carbine while he was a CB in the Philippine Islands during WWII.  He said when the war ended a lot of guys just stuck them in their sea bag and brought them home.  It was almost 50 years later that I got my first carbine.  Unfortunately, dad is long gone and never go to handles one again.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2016 at 1:51pm
My dad also brought an M1 back from the Philippine Islands.
There is a post here somewhere.

Edited by moneawon - Mar 09 2020 at 4:43pm
shooter3116 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter3116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2020 at 5:52pm
Mr. Dey,  Many thanks for your prompt response.  I was never part of the CBs, but I stood a watch one time at the Advanced Base Depot at Gulfport MS, never saw a carbine. Is there any way for me to access Club newsletter 384?  Sounds like this would have just the info I am seeking.  One of my collecting interests is WWII US Navy artifacts, things I used and came in contact with. I have 9 different small arms,would like to add a carbine.  I appreciate your help.  Harold Anderson
USN WW II
shooter3116 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter3116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2020 at 6:29pm
Mr. Dey, In looking at the requisition, one thing jumped out at me - strange that a Battalion of 29 Officers and 1100 enlisted men would require 15,000 Carbines.  I was a Storekeeper, trained to question things like this. Your thoughts?
USN WW II
joc1212 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joc1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2023 at 1:21pm
It seems right that a storekeeper would question the numbers as he did.....what he didn't understand was the Seabee thought process.  We take all we can use, 2 more for spares, and the rest for trading for other things we need but can't get issued.  

In the early years of Vietnam when we were building camps for US Army Special forces teams we were considered "advisors".  Our issue weapon was the wonderful M-14.  Too bad it was so long and un-handy on heavy equipment.  Didn't take us long to "acquire" some Thompson submachine guns with no shoulder stocks.....the perfect "truck gun". When those weren't available the M2 carbine with the stock cut at the pistol grip and the barrel carefully shortened was even better.  Being with the army special forces made getting "unusual weapons" pretty easy.

We always kept several cans of olive drab paint and stencils with black paint handy just in case a strange vehicle wandered into our camp and needed a new name painted on the side :)

EO2 
Seabee Team 0507
 Post Reply Post Reply