Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First Carbine, Iver Johnson

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Carbine, Iver Johnson
    Posted: Jun 28 2021 at 5:44am
 Howdy everyone! I just won an auction for my first ever carbine! It’s an Iver Johnson, serial number AA012xx, which puts it between 1978-79. And from my research it is USGI compatible and seems to be in good shape from the pictures and description. I placed a bid that I thought had no chance, but I guess I got lucky and I ended up winning. I’ve been looking for a carbine for about six months now and am super excited to finally be an owner. 

I eventually want a USGI carbine, but because of my budget I just wanted an inexpensive shooter for my first one. I know commercial carbines sometimes have a bad reputation but after reading through m1carbinesinc I feel happy with the IJ, especially because of what I’m using it for.

I plan on taking it to a gunsmith for an inspection. If anyone has any recommendations for something specific to ask the gunsmith to check for that would be much appreciated. I don’t have any ammo for it, I plan to check locally but don’t have a ton of faith. So if y’all have a good (and cheap) source online that would be awesome. Also any general info or tips for a first time owner, thanks!

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2021 at 6:35am
You could get lucky with the earlier carbines. Later examples can have Universal or Plainfield parts that may or may not have been properly fitted, just assembled.

Welcome and good luck! Head space and safety features are the important issues.
Rumham View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2021 at 8:07am
Thank you for the welcome! The seller said the parts are Iver Johnson but I’ll check when I receive it. I will definitely have the headspace checked, as well as the bolt group in regards to safety. 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2021 at 8:28am
Iver Johnson bolts tend to run a bit longer and you should be ok. They went off into the swamp when they started using up Universal bolts and not head spacing them to their actions. Universal bolts are closer to USGI spec. 
Rumham View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2021 at 8:58am
So assuming the bolt is IJ, if I needed to replace it would I have to buy another IJ bolt? Sorry I’m still getting familiar with all the nomenclature.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2021 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Rumham Rumham wrote:

So assuming the bolt is IJ, if I needed to replace it would I have to buy another IJ bolt? Sorry I’m still getting familiar with all the nomenclature.

Probably the best course of action is to see what you have first.
Do a field strip.  Take notes and photos. 
Post here and folks can help with identification and you can come up with a course of action.

Cartridges: You can look at some of the on-line retailers like Luckygunner to get a sense of pricing.
Before buying, stop by your local gunstore.  Between shipping and other factors, you may do just as well or better locally.  If they don't have, then go see what you can find online.
Rumham View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2021 at 9:55am
Will do, thank you for the info! 
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2021 at 10:11am
Congrats on your purchase! Your carbine doesn't look like it's been fired much.

I bought an Iver Johnson about a year ago. It is a pretty good rig, but when I got it, it shot feet to the right at 100 yds. and took some doing to get corrected. But since that problem has been corrected, it runs great and is consistently and considerably more accurate than any of my GI carbines. The last owner put it in a Boyd's stock which I really like. Mine also came with a D-Day commemorative slide which I swapped out for Type II PI marked Inland slide I had laying around. The bolt in mine is an "N" marked flat bolt with a W.Q. marked Quality Hardware extractor and a R.I. marked Inland firing pin. 

If it makes you feel better, take it to a gunsmith, but were it mine, I'd shoot just shoot it. Don't borrow trouble....good grief....folks are already alluding to replacing parts and you haven't even had the rifle in your hands yet. If this were an old military bolt rifle with parts swapped out, I might be concerned about headspace, but the .30 Carbine headspaces on the mouth of the case, same as the 9mm, 45 ACP. For over 100 years we shooters have swapped slides and barrels between various 1911's and never gave a thought to checking headspace.

Anyhow, here's mine-

DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2021 at 10:36am
I owned a Iver Johnson years ago, it was a decent shooter and the only reason I sold it was post Newtown .30 Carbine ammo got scarce and I had 2 USGI's.

Everyone else has covered things. I would have the smith change the springs in the bolt and replace the recoil spring but that's me. I did the same with a Plainfield I bought last summer that helped that one become 97% reliable (there's one of my shooting mags it doesn't like).

Ammo I would use Ammoseek to see what you can find. The good news is .30 Carbine is starting to show up again, mainly PPU. The bad news is the price sucks but it does seem to be going down a bit. The only problem there will be the influx of new Carbine owners from the recent Midway sale won't help.

Right now this seems like the cheapest I know of online

It's soft point though, I've never used it myself but have used PPU FMJ before with good results
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2021 at 11:01am
I don’t think anyone here is trying to drive you off a cliff before you get there. It’s prudent to have the action on any carbine checked-out. Those that have been around carbines for a while maybe can do that by looking at it, those that are not familiar with one may want a Smith to give it a once-over. 

My experience with IJ’s has been head space. New carbines left the factory in latter days equipped with what ever parts they had. The last lightly fired one I had head spaced at 1.311. I agree the gun is not likely going to blow-up and will usually just stop firing when head space gets excessive. If you’re not familiar with a carbine and know what to look for, it seems like a good idea to have someone who is examine it. I think the early guns (pre-80’s) are possibly better. I also think they got extremely sloppy with what they turned out later when headed toward their demise.
john843 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john843 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2021 at 1:52pm
Both of the Palmetto State Armory stores near me, Savannah Ga. and Ridgeland S.C. have gotten in a decent supply of the PPU Rifleline fmj in the last week and a half so you might want to check their site. $29.99 a box (in store anyway)

John
Bungalow Bill View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bungalow Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2021 at 2:45pm
Congratulations on your purchase. I agree commercial carbines are a great option for first-time owners and/or those looking for more of a shooter than a collector. 

I didn’t see you mention whether magazines are coming with the carbine, so that’s another consideration. I have found GI mags work better in my Universal than aftermarket mags. 15-rounds are almost always better than 30-rounds. Carbines can be finicky about magazines, so you may want to try some different types to see which yours likes best. 
Rumham View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2021 at 3:45pm
Thank you! It’s coming from California so there aren’t any magazines included, but I’ve been looking around and plan on ordering a GI mag to start off. 
Rumham View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2021 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by john843 john843 wrote:

Both of the Palmetto State Armory stores near me, Savannah Ga. and Ridgeland S.C. have gotten in a decent supply of the PPU Rifleline fmj in the last week and a half so you might want to check their site. $29.99 a box (in store anyway)

John
Yeah when looking around online I’m seeing a lot of PPU, but mainly the sp. I’ll be checking locally so hopefully they have some. Thanks for the tip! 
Rumham View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2021 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by 35 Whelen 35 Whelen wrote:

If it makes you feel better, take it to a gunsmith, but were it mine, I'd shoot just shoot it. Don't borrow trouble....good grief....folks are already alluding to replacing parts and you haven't even had the rifle in your hands yet..
Thanks for the reply and info about your experience! Although I 100% understand what you’re saying and have the itch to shoot it right away, I think I will take floydthecat’s advice and just have a gunsmith do a one over. 
Also if you don’t mind me asking, what did you do to your carbine in order to increase the accuracy? Thanks again! 
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2021 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Rumham Rumham wrote:

Thanks for the reply and info about your experience! Although I 100% understand what you’re saying and have the itch to shoot it right away, I think I will take floydthecat’s advice and just have a gunsmith do a one over. 
Also if you don’t mind me asking, what did you do to your carbine in order to increase the accuracy? Thanks again! 

The only thing I do to any of my carbines to help accuracy is add some material between the top of the barrel and the handguard. Usually three layers of something about the thickness of a business card or an empty primer carton. If the handguard fits snug, this isn't necessary.

I'd imagine the IJ with its newer commercial barrel is just naturally going to be more accurate than your typical 75+ year old barrel made during WW2.

Rumham View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2021 at 11:00pm

Howdy Everyone,

It’s been a while, but I thought I’d just update about my IJ. I got the headspace checked upon it’s arrival, got the all clear, took it to shoot and it’s been doing great. I’ve put about 200 rounds through it with only a few feeding jams. Most of the jams occurred with PPU soft point ammo, so I will probably stay away from that in the future (it was all I could get my hands on at the time). I have, however, been having some issues with accuracy. I’ve figured out how to account for it with the iron sights, but I have also been thinking about the ultimak hand guard rail. That with a scope seems like an easy way to help with accuracy, and I can change it back anytime I want. The thing is, the ultimak website says the rail will not fit an IJ, but from my understanding the IJ’s dimensions should be compatible with USGI. Does anyone have any experience with this or know if it’ll fit? If not any other alternatives or ways to improve accuracy? I’m no expert so anything helps! Thanks! 

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2021 at 7:10am
The barrel stub aft of the gas cylinder is “boxed” and not rounded like a GI barrel. Maybe the mount hugs the barrel in this area and interference between the barrel contour and the mount is the issue. Barrel dimensions ahead of the slide-box is probably close enough for the clamps to work. I would imagine one could be made to fit by possibly some inletting of the mount, but that’s a guess. A USGI hand guard will usually fit an IJ, but can get tight where the barrel “humps” near the threaded section and contacts the rivets on the tab.

They say they will accept returns less a small fee. You could try one and send it back if it looks too complicated.

My personal feelings are that if one needs a scope on a carbine, they need to get another rifle. It’s just in the way like a scope on a handgun.
 Post Reply Post Reply