Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Newsworthy Items
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Opps I did It Again, Unusual Parts markings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
newsmen
newsmen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Newsman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opps I did It Again, Unusual Parts markings
    Posted: Oct 01 2016 at 6:13pm

September 2016-F

Oops I did It Again, Double Stamps and Unusual Parts markings

by Dan Pinto

The war left many factories without workers. This had taxed the factories as they had to gear up for new production of needed items for the war effort and the regular workers were off to war.

There were housewives who took off their aprons and picked up tools. many people a regular full time job. The factories had created special and swing shifts to get those people to fix in an additional part time job working nights and weekends.

Some like myself love the odd marked parts and errors found. With human nature, errors were bound to occur.

Here are some examples of double stuck parts

Evidently this barrel went twice around in the roll die machine.

Here we have two trigger housings and a front sight.

Clearly this is not the symbol for Volkswagen VW!

Here someone evidently put the die in the machine backwards.

Has anyone ever seen a SG recoil plate marked other the upright orientation?

Sometimes parts were double struck, but this was not due to error. Sometimes they had parts on hand that were stamped for one contract and re stamped for another.

Below we see rear sights made by Hemple Hill with a H in shield most notably for Winchester. These were over stamped with HI or H.I for Inland.

These have been reported before. If you have a original appearing carbine with one of these parts please let us know so we can narrow down serial ranges if they exist.

Here is another item that was reported on a original appearing carbine after "Unusual Markings" was published in March 2016

This barrel band was reported after an article reporting the double stamp and is on an original appearing carbine.

This flip sight was probably marked N-A and then changed to A-N.

Here are some I do not know what to make of.

And lastly here is a subcontracted bolt that looks like R.U. but is most likely a H.U. that is distorted.

If you have any unusual marking to share please post below or submit to me for future articles.

Dan Pinto

New2Brass

blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2016 at 7:31pm
Those barrels are cool. The only mismarked part I've ever had was an double struck IS marked oiler which I sold last year

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2016 at 8:16pm
Haven't run across any unusually marked parts but appreciated those provided here.  Thanks!
Newsman1 View Drop Down
newsmen
newsmen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newsman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2016 at 12:40pm

Member submitted spotters report on another SI Sl marked band on a Late inland
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2016 at 1:27pm
Interesting, two different fonts on the I.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2016 at 2:42pm
This is a GREAT post...I seem to feel my enthusiasm in Carbines getting uncontrollable again to go out and find some of these parts. I have a Front Sight that has a Single Mark on the left front side. It may be something or Nothing, but I'm going try to dig it out and find it.
Frank

Dirty30Carbine View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2022 at 3:17pm
I found this on a late Rockola S/N 6202xxx
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2022 at 10:29pm
Looks like the weak "JM" stamp (left) was sometimes re-stamped (right).

JackP
Mujiir View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mujiir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2022 at 2:36pm
I have an opp slide with the VW shown. Is it aftermarket?
Dave Mehl
Retired
NRA Life Member
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2022 at 3:16pm
Not aftermarket, the W was just over stamped making it look like a VW.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2022 at 6:23pm
Here is a Shielded H over stamped with either P.I. or H.I. that came off a Inland 5,219,??? mil that the guy put a Repro Flip on. He was here because I had the tools and said he was going to keep the sight.
Barrel was Inland 5-44 with round bolt and Type II band marked //.
I tried  Cry to talk him out of it because it, IMO was a Original Carbine.
Me having a crisp 5,219,465 just like it about ~350 numbers away, best I can recall. My sight is HI with No periods between letters.

Guesses ?  
Is it Over Stamped P.I. or H.I. over the shielded H ?

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2022 at 8:03pm
Looks like an H.I. over stamp to me.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2022 at 8:19pm
Wayne,
I think so too. Crude, prolly hand stamped.

Thx Again Wacko

Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
jim77cg View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jim77cg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2022 at 11:11am
In Dan Pinto's original article on unusual parts markings he asked "has anyone seen a SG recoil plate marked other than upright orientation?"  I located these two in my parts bin.  First same as previously reported in the article and another 180 degrees out.  No serial number data I'm afraid.  They were both bought many years ago as spare parts.  

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2022 at 6:09pm
Thanks Jim, I had reports but no photos
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2022 at 11:38am
SDP sears are common and have been observed no hole as well as with the hole. The ones with the hole usually obscure the part marking. It seems at some point they moved the P to prevent this. Has anyone observed the marking this way?

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/5600/OddSearSDP.jpg
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2022 at 9:53pm
this is on a S.G. picked up today
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2022 at 10:52am
Nice! Is the S.G. present at the end of SAGINAW
any traces of markings on the bottom of the barrel?
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2022 at 11:57am
The S.G. Is present with the rest GI the stamp, nothing else stamped odd in that area. The only other marked I recall in the barrel in the P stamp further down and it is off center as well
jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2022 at 1:20pm
Double stamped SN on NPM front sight.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>