Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3 in Circle IP Receiver Marking ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 in Circle IP Receiver Marking ?
    Posted: Oct 29 2017 at 4:34pm
Just picked this up and I'm not familiar with this marking and don't find anything in the CCNl's either,looks to be a 3 in a circle, any thought's ?? Thanks Chris
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Official Response Official Response
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2017 at 4:14pm
The club has long known about the 3 in circle on the rear bevel of receiver. For some reason the 3 or 4 times I noticed it on the bevel behind serial number location it was on an IP. Now CWC reports a 3 in circle on the side of an IP. Further report by Rcycles show a RO with it on the side.

Who                    import      make      3 in circle location
CarWashChris  CAI ST A VT     IP            side
Rcycles           CAI ST .A. VT     RO           Side
CarKrazy         CAI ST A VT     IP           no 3 in cir bevel scrubbed?
New2Brass      CAI ST A VT     NPM        no 3 in cir bevel scrubbed

Anyone see the consistent? granted it is a very small sample. Being that a carbine with a 3 in circle on rear bevel was reported in New Zealand I am leaning away from import mark. Maybe a agency mark.
The CAI import mark has been reported in several locations and several variations of stamp and  the location changed.

right now what we are seeing with the CAI in a location on bottom of barrel, closer to the stock. Not the one closer to the front sight. this specific import stamp/location may narrow it down to a timeline that CAI brought them in.

Note that I put periods in Rcycles import mark as I can make them out. I assume it is missing on most due to curve of barrel.

I would ask anyone with a CAI import mark of the type described in the location described that they check the right rear of receiver for a mark. If no mark in either loacation report if rear bevel looks altered or scrubbed.

The Bavarians initially scrubbed their markings when they were returning or selling. This may be the case with the 3 in circle on rear heel. I am not saying it is a Bavarian, rather some agency that marked in that location and removed the mark later.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2017 at 10:16pm
The IP manufacturer update by Chris Albright CCNL 374 mentions the marking. Was I believe late first serial block and the second block.
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2017 at 9:08pm
I belive this previosuly seen on the bevel--no one has figured who did--first I seen like that--note the font of the 3   its foreign
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2017 at 9:53am
We are talking two different things here. There are marks observed on the rear right of IP receivers. First there were M2 then M4, Which sometimes looks like a I4 due to partial stamp. these two marks are only seen in the 1.7 range.

Newsletter 374 shows that late in the 1.7 block (of IP production) and the 3.2 range a 3 shows up (edit to add "on the left side"). No mention of a circle.

CCNL 372-19 has information about the 3 in circle that Welby mentions. If anyone has one of the 3 in circle on heel please let us know.

They do look similar. I would need a better picture to compare.

NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2017 at 11:08am
"Newsletter 374 shows that late in the 1.7 block (of IP production) and the 3.2 range a 3 shows up. No mention of a circle."

CLARIFICATION: Newsletter 374 states "....the number "3" came into use, marked on the LEFT side of the receiver."

I have never seen a 3 inside-a-circle stamp on the right side.
Car Wash Chris View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2017 at 1:33pm
Well, I'm leaning toward a import marking of some sort, BUT if that's the case, wouldn't we see it on other manufactured receivers as well ?   I missed NL 174 altogether [ thanks Dan ] Maybe someone else has another one. In any case here's another one for the archives.
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2017 at 6:05pm
I have an early Rock-ola 1670xxx with the same stamped 3 in the same position as the OP's . This Rock-ola also has an import marked barrel .
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2017 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Rcycles45 Rcycles45 wrote:

I have an early Rock-ola 1670xxx with the same stamped 3 in the same position as the OP's . This Rock-ola also has an import marked barrel .

Think you can post a pic as well as the import mark.
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2017 at 12:26pm

Here's a few pictures of mine, it's a 3/43 Underwood which should be correct and original to the receiver. And thanks to Scott for chiming in, hope he can tell us what import stamp is on his.

Chris
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2017 at 6:06pm
Is the second mark an import stamp? If so, why would they mark it twice? Thought they wanted to mark it as little and as small as possible?
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2017 at 7:13pm
The Import mark on mine is the same as what Chris has . Im sorry I have a hard time resizing the pics . I can send to someones email if they want to post for me ..
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2017 at 7:50pm
CAI ST .A. VT
Century Arms Inc St Albans Vermont
The 3 is what i am interested in. It is believed a foreign country put that mark on. The CAI might be a lead where they came in from.

Scott, shoot the pics to me and i will size and post
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2017 at 8:26pm
M1A1 one mark, multiple pictures. My bad.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2017 at 8:35pm
Recycles45 pics

Carkrazy66 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carkrazy66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2017 at 9:02pm
My IP 3230214 appears to have a faint 3 in a circle on the right side, a 3 with no circle on the left side and also import marking on the underside of the 5-43 barrel.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2017 at 9:10pm
Carkrazy, that looks like a upsidedown flaming bomb.
Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing!

Rear heal of receiver looks like it may have had something removed, might just be the picture.

*edit to add*

that is a very late into the second serial block IP. We would love to see some more pictures!
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carkrazy66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2017 at 9:20pm
Thanks! You may be right. Does look like it could be an upsidedown flaming bomb.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carkrazy66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2017 at 10:02pm
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2017 at 6:57am
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

Thank you Ted for posting pics for me .. It would be interesting to find out the origin of this Number 3 . Its obvious its foreign , Probably some sort of unit designator of some sort .
Ghostman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2017 at 2:13pm
This purely speculation but could it have been part of SGs in house system of grading IP recievers? Have any other numbers been encountered on IP recievers?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>