Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carbine Photo of the Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 21>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2019 at 9:03pm
hmm, some of the toy carbines had 1919 cloth belts used as slings!
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2019 at 6:48am

DAY 13

Iwo Jima. Raymond Beran. 5th Marines 28th division. Carbine is to his right lying on top of sandbags.

Edited by New2brass - Sep 09 2019 at 6:23pm
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2019 at 11:16am
1st M1 88, Nice day 13 picture, is this a relative of yours?
Records held at the National Archives for the (MUSTER ROLL OF OFFICERS AND ENLISTED MEN OF THE U.S. MARINE CORPS
SECOND BATTALION, TWENTY-EIGHTH MARINES, FIFTH MARINE DIVISION)
Show that Raymond Beran was a PFC at that time and he arrived on Iwo Jima on 19 Feb 1945 aboard LST 634.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2019 at 3:05pm
W5USMC. Yes he is my father-in-law. Thanks for the added information on date and LST. He was a great friend also. We spent many hours fishing and hunting together. Thanks for the correction with 28th Marines 5th Division.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2019 at 7:47pm
Is that a Carbine standing up?
Behind the guy feeding the Mortar tube.
Great picture to have...
You were fortunate to have a FIL you could consider a friend.
A huge plus also having him as a hunting and fishing buddy.
His service is greatly appreciated....

God Bless

CH-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2019 at 8:14pm
I also thought that might be a carbine but when I blow up the photo I does not appear to be one.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 11:19am
Day 14

Marines on Okinawa, May 1945. Note the grenade launcher.
from historylink101.com

Edited by New2brass - Sep 11 2019 at 12:13pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jim77cg View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote jim77cg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 11:44am
Day 15

My Dad was a 740 Radio Operator during WWII.  The “crank to transmit” SCR 284 shown here was one of the radios he operated.  He always wanted to carry a carbine but was only authorized to carry an M1 Garand.  In Feb 1945 after recuperating in a hospital for a leg wound, he was discharged and assigned back to his old unit.  When asked about rifle reissue he told them, knowingly and incorrectly, that he carried a carbine.  They gave him a new model carbine with all the latest improvements.  As soon as his Lieutenant who was entitled to carry a carbine, saw his newer model he took it as his own and had a regular M1 Garand, as was proper issued to my Dad.

This photo is attributed to vicinity Utah Beach D-Day, 4th Signal Co, 4th ID.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 12:05pm
Great picture and story, Damn Lieutenant!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 12:25pm
Re: Day 14, looks like the revision C which was the latest version as I cannot see the top ring above the retainer spring/band. anyone?

Here is some early video
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 3:10pm
Must be pretty good recoil. Notice it knocked the helmet off the grenadier in the last clip? I wouldn't want to be the tank driver in that training scenario.
JackP
carbinecanuck View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbinecanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 11:15pm
I'm not sure I would feel comfortable having a round chambered prior to fitting the grenade to the muzzle.

But I guess you would also not want to have have a slam fire occur with a grenade already fitted either.
Courage is fear holding on a minute longer. - GEORGE S. PATTON
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2019 at 8:26am
Haven’t had a chance to review in detail the last few days, but GREAT pictures everyone! Thanks to all who served and their families.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2019 at 12:56pm
Day 16
9/12/2019

Marines on Okinawa, May 1945 and another improvised sling.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2019 at 2:33pm
This one is interesting
David Milisock
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2019 at 3:37pm
LMAO
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2019 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by 1st M1 88 1st M1 88 wrote:

LMAO

SGT said to Jonesey "Bear with me for a minute"

Sgt realizing Jonesey was not quite literate shouted "Bear with me, not Bare with me you numb skull!"

I do believe this picture was in the newsletters.
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2019 at 5:37pm
My son and I first looked at this image and we both said, he's got an M1A1. My wife and daughter said judging by the the leaf it must be warm there.
David Milisock
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2019 at 4:22pm
Day 17

Even though we had 2 photos yesterday, I think we are still on Day 17 today. Sure wish some other Members would start posting some pictures, although I can take it all the way to Day 30, there are lots of great pictures out there.
Marines on Iwo Jima 1945.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2019 at 7:05pm
I got busy with a bunch of odds and ends today to clear some time for the weekend.
Nothing went smooth, every chore refusing to die!
When I finally seen our streak had a chance of ending I scrambled and posted the pic I did.
Must have been while I was looking at the preview that you guys posted your pics.
WTH was my first thought after seeing them. Then seen the time stamps..... Might be a good idea to use that number in the lotto tonight.
You can tell I panicked cause I lost the carbine of the day count.....

All the while still laughing at the picture of Palm leaf M1A1 guy. A WWII version of Klinger ??

Bottom Line Streak continues..... All can play.
Thx Again Wayne... Thumbs Up

Good Weekend to all,
Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 21>