Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Fun Stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting Item

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2021 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Rcycles45 Rcycles45 wrote:

Looks to me that the whole back of the receiver has been reworked and and re-stamped . If that POS sold for 8k , someone paid 7750 to much . IMO .

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/5600/ItemOfINterest11.JPG

Now tell me what this receiver is
there are still other items I would like to hear about
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2021 at 1:21pm
is it just me or my screen, or does the top of the slide track look wavy to anyone else? Could this possibly be a reweld?
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2021 at 1:47pm
First I was wondering if it was a Buffed down NPM Receiver........ But the Mill cut would be shorter and squared off.

And that spot at the rear keeps jumping out,
As 'IF' a 2nd Mill Cut has been filled in or ground away (Thinning the rail)

Without seeing more of the Receiver, I'd venture a guess it's a later Inland Receiver.... Maybe a SG supplied ?

Like a Type III Receiver..... with the 2nd Notch filled in (Partially) or ground away.. to look like a Type I

But even then the rear notch or remnant of it should be centered below the rear sight.
I just don't know........ Unhappy

Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2021 at 7:11pm
My last WAG unless more pictures become available.

Could this be a one of the Inland supplied 100 receivers used by Underwood and that had one notch and round detail ?

With any UEF markings buffed off, then Falsely stamped with the current SN# 92.

I admit to this one driving me nuts........ Wacko

Can I buy a 'Clue ?

Ch-P777
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2021 at 7:55pm
Barrel is a reproduction.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2021 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by kro1970 kro1970 wrote:

Barrel is a reproduction.

I wonder where that barrel came from? Clown

@Charlie, Did Inland make receivers for Underwood that are different from the ones they used?

kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2021 at 8:54pm
I'll give you 3 guesses and the first two don't count
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2021 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

@Charlie, Did Inland make receivers for Underwood that are different from the ones they used?
[/QUOTE]

I read a link earlier where you said:

"Inland supplied the first 100 receivers used by Underwood and they had one notch and round detail."

It was a reply to one notch Underwoods I asked about.

Here: http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/underwood-single-notch-receivers_topic4793.html

Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2021 at 8:50am
Agree with many prior comments- the finish is suspect, the bevel doesn’t look right ( even compared to my polished Austrian return), but the machined channel for the slide appears heavily doctored- the pic is of my 24*** Inland.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2021 at 9:05pm
I am going go out on a limb to say the slide channel was not welded up.

Is it a commercial or USGI receiver? 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2021 at 11:04pm
At this point with Dan's 'Strategic' pictures I really can't tell if the receiver is milled or cast.

If a Commercial receiver...... Is it Cast or Milled ?

If Cast:
Inland MFG cast receivers have 1 notch. The Slope on the front and rear bevels appear close to #92. But both the front ring and rear area have been ground / buffed over, then the restamping.
A possible snag to this WAG:  Pointed out by Jim M's review they have the design in the Receiver mold that acts as a Skirt, so the barrel doesn't need a skirt.
But on #92 I see the barrel has a Skirt. 
Could the Molded Cast in Skirt on the receiver be ground off ?.... Again IDK.
I see on this 92 some details look close to Jim's example of 9000696.

If Milled:
A James River Armory Rockola receiver comes to mind. IIRC it was a Milled receiver, but I don't recall if it was 1 or 2 notch. IF Rockola Firearms Baltimore MD was scrubbed from the left side along with the front ring and rear bevel markings. It might be the culprit.
But then again 1 or 2 notch ? Maybe the Rear Notch filled ?
I do know the JRA receivers had a different detail to the left locking shoulder. 
A picture (If Available) of the Left locking shoulder would help ID if this is a messed with JRA receiver.

Lastly I gave SC marked Springfield Forged receivers a look. That's a no.

Unhappy
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2021 at 11:17pm
I've been looking too and the closest receiver that I can find commercially is the new production commercial inland receivers because like you say charlie, they just have the one notch. But the stamps are completely different. Seems to be the number 92 was a longer number with either numbers buffed away on the left or right or both
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2021 at 11:34pm
Hi JD,
This thing is driving me nuts

Pretty confident both front ring and rear markings were removed and restamped.
I'd give $50 to see pics of the rest of the receiver.
Dan... Must be a bit Twisted!

Ch-P777
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2021 at 12:15am
this is by far the best way for newbies like me to learn. Over the past two or three days I have looked at countless pictures of commercial receivers trying to answer the question what is it and comparing the differences that I can see ha ha. So it's been sort of like taking your advice route, by learning the reproduction carbines first
PLN-TAP-7 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLN-TAP-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2021 at 4:31am
So, to sum up : $8 000 for a fake!
And how chances are to get a very very low number in pristine condition as if it just came out of the factory?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2021 at 9:40am
Charlie, Give the $50 bucks to charity. (Isn't the name of the bar down the road? Evil Smile)
LOL

My pictures are not strategic to hide anything, rather to give enough pertinent information. None of the additional pictures are any help.

JonD, I am very happy that you are learning by doing homework rather then being handed the answer and not understanding why.

@Charlie, yes a cast receiver could be machined, but the welding of cast is difficult.
Both the commercial Inland and James River  have the oval slide detent notch.
James River has two slide rail notches.

I would really have to hand it to an "artist" to do all that machining and welding then stamping.

It seems this post is hitting a wall,
So vote to give it more time, or vote to answer

Either way the I think I got everyone's brain cells moving.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2021 at 11:02am
Could a cast receiver even be re-stamped like that? I think the receiver is a USGI Inland that has been ground and stamped. Not sure about the barrel, are there commercial long skirt barrels? At this point just guessing really.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2021 at 2:20pm
in the very first picture, the area in front of the rear sight looks messed with identically to behind the rear sight. Would I be correct in thinking that something was removed from the front of the rear sight area as well?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2021 at 2:23pm
Also thinking it must be a Inland receiver.....
Slide stop hole, Doesn't match any commercial JD or I have found.

Didn't the very early 1 notch Inlands have the rounded mill cut at about 1/4" ?
Then made longer about the time they added the 2nd notch.

This #92 has the 3/4" long mill cut......

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2021 at 2:43pm
"Didn't the very early 1 notch Inlands have the rounded mill cut at about 1/4" ?"

Charlie look at ccnl 346, the 1/4" rounded mill cut started around 72081 it was 3/4" before that. went from long to short back to long, right?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>