Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Fun Stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M2 Oiler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M2 Oiler
    Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 10:52am
Member Louis Losi submitted an interesting oiler and pointed out that the nomenclature does not seem correct.

Lets see who has sharp eye's and how many things of interest can be found

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/3657/OilerVSEC.jpg

The contractor was Viola Sales & Engineering Co. in Viola Illinois for those interested.
The contract was awarded in May of 1953 for the sum of $17,000

For those rushing out to get one for their collection, you may wish to wait.
The oiler is unmarked.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 10:55am
*NOTE* this post was originally hidden from display till the game played out*

A carbine enthusiast would know that anything carbine related the stock number begins with B28 or B028 stock number. The oiler is stock number B028-02-00020
The A36 or A036 is for the Thompson SMG

Only 4 oilers? Carbine oilers were in packs of 6, 10, 25, 50. If you seen anything other please post.

.45 cal? nope not the Hyde/Marlin M2 subgun? Stock number A52. Those oilers had a different top that once in a while is claimed to have been for the M1 carbine I-cut stocks (it does not fit!)
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/3657/oiler_Hyde_Marlin_M2.jpg
Photo credit Frank Iannamico, SAR July 2001

Could mean Cal 45 Submachinegun M3, which most know as the greasegun? Stock number A58

The drawing number for the M1 carbine, M3 "Greasegun", Survival Rifle M4, Survival rifle shotgun M6 is C64364

What is the M2? could it be an oiler, M2?

Member and NFA guru Dave Albert confirms these are for the M1 Thompson and his picture shows that you would have trouble fitting it in you M1, M1A1, M2 or M3 carbine. It may be nice next to your M21 carbine 2x trainer, though there is no oiler cut on those.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/3657/oilersThompson.jpg

(left)Thompson M1928, (middle 2) Thompson M1, (right) M1 Carbine and variants

Edited by New2brass - Dec 05 2021 at 3:32pm
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 11:12am
The M2 was a .50 caliber BMG, not .45. This type oiler was used on early M3 submachine guns (grease gun). It looks to be mislabeled. I wonder...?
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

The M2 was a .50 caliber BMG, not .45. This type oiler was used on early M3 submachine guns (grease gun). It looks to be mislabeled. I wonder...?

The usage of the M designation covers all USGI military equipment. there was probably a M1 and M2 latrine.

Carbine M1, Carbine M1A1
Abrams M1, Abrams M1a1

when the item has a significant change it will go up a number
M2 carbine
M3 carbine (M1 or M2 with a infrared scope)
M4 carbine is the short version (carbine) of the M16 platform.

Not sure what the Heavy machine gun M1 was, but the Browning M2 evidently followed it. The M3 Browning machine gun was I believe an aircraft version.

the carbine oiler was used for the M1 carbine, M3 "Greasegun", Survival Rifle M4, Survival rifle shotgun M6

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 4:22pm
So if this is an M3 submachine gun oiler:

Then this must be an M3A1 submachine gun oiler:

But looks can be deceiving!!
JackP
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 6:41pm
New2brass,

Am I allowed to answer this question, or would you rather me sit this one out to see if anyone else gets it?

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 7:09pm
SNL A032 is for the Thompson submachine gun. A check of the list shows that part as "Oiler, submachine gun, cal .45, M2".
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

SNL A032 is for the Thompson submachine gun. A check of the list shows that part as "Oiler, submachine gun, cal .45, M2".

B257624
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 7:31pm
I thought Tommy gun oilers were a lot larger. Wait...how large is that oiler in the original post?
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 7:36pm
wasn't the M1928 oiler rectangle? Wink
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 7:39pm
The only other "M2" .45 cal. submachine gun I can think of is the experimental Hyde, but I thought it was never adopted.
JackP
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 7:45pm
Here's a picture from a MG forum that claims it to be a round Thompson buttstock oiler. Looks round to me. Compare to the carbine oiler on the right.

JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 7:46pm

So if this is an M3 submachine gun oiler:

Then this must be an M3A1 submachine gun oiler:

But looks can be deceiving!!

Technical bulletin ORD 415 from 1951 refers to the M1 carbine/ M4 survival/M3 greasegun/ M6 shotgun oilers as the "Hand Oiler-5564364"
Does that mean it was to oil our hands?
See CCNL 97
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 7:47pm
Ah you guys are too good!
See the second post for the crib notes

Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 7:51pm

The only other "M2" .45 cal. submachine gun I can think of is the experimental Hyde, but I thought it was never adopted.

The M2 Submachine Gun was adopted, but for a very short time, and few were manufactured before it was replaced by the M3 Submachine Gun.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 8:02pm
So, does that mean that the rectangular M1928 Thompson oiler is an "M1" oiler since the round M1 Thompson oiler is an "M2" oiler? I am so confused!!!??
JackP
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 8:34pm

So, does that mean that the rectangular M1928 Thompson oiler is an "M1" oiler since the round M1 Thompson oiler is an "M2" oiler? I am so confused!!!??

The short (and also correct) answer is "No."

I received the same inquiry from New2brass via PM, and I sent him a longer answer, which he may post here. If he doesn't post it, I will do so later.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 8:37pm
What is the length of the pictured oiler? Is it a M3 grease gun/carbine oiler, in a package with a Thompson part # and a M2 Hyde nomenclature. By 1953 maybe it was determined that this oiler design was a suitable replacement for all others, either way I think the package is mismarked.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

What is the length of the pictured oiler? Is it a M3 grease gun/carbine oiler, in a package with a Thompson part # and a M2 Hyde nomenclature. By 1953 maybe it was determined that this oiler design was a suitable replacement for all others, either way I think the package is mismarked.

W5USMC,

The package is not mis-marked.

There is a ruler shown for size comparison in the photo that Dan included of my oilers.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 9:12pm
Got it David somehow I did not read all of Dan's second post. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>