Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lil Help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jnwoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lil Help?
    Posted: Jan 25 2022 at 12:14am
I came into possession on a Universal M1 Carbine, it has issues.
Unfortunately It is a serial # 177,000 which is during a time (69/70) when the company was run by a container corporation that cut some corners and didnt use proper hardening technique.  Long story short I need a Barrel.  square gas tube. I'll post some images of the barrel damage as soon as I figure it out.  lol

Jeff
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2022 at 1:06pm
They have on occasion showed up on ebay and other auction sites, but the prices I recall would drive one toward investing in a good GI carbine. Right there in the GI barrel range of $300-plus.

What is the issue with the barrel you have now?
Jnwoods View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jnwoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2022 at 1:19pm
The gas piston has made a grove in the barrel.  Apparently, its caused by the improper hardening of the barrel.  The sight said if the damage is present not to shoot the rifle.  

Numrich arms had a couple for around 150 but, out of stock

Jeff
Jnwoods View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jnwoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2022 at 1:22pm
Jeff
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2022 at 1:31pm
I was thinking it might just have been a blown-off gas cylinder, which could be fixed. I know it’s a hard pill to swallow, but I’d consider retiring that one and invest my money elsewhere unless you can run across the correct barrel. Happy hunting and good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply