Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Wanted+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Universal 256 Ferret

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salessi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Universal 256 Ferret
    Posted: Feb 09 2022 at 7:15pm
I know it’s a crazy request but does anyone know where I can find a magazine or 2 for the universal 256 ferret? Thank you
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2022 at 8:16am
That is quite a reach. Have not seen a 256 Ferret/44-magnum magazine for sale in….well, never. Too bad the 256 did not have a rebated rim. The 256 is a necked-down 357-magnum I think. There have been attempts to convert carbines to 357 using a pistol magazine. Use of a single-stack pistol magazine that would accept the 357-magnum round inserted into a 30-caliber magazine shell might be the only option, but any time one tries to feed a rimmed cartridge from a stacked magazine, feeding becomes very problematic. I have done that very thing with a 9mm conversion and it might be your only option. Good Luck!
salessi View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salessi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2022 at 8:24am
Thank you very much for that option, you are correct in it being a necked down 357. I came across the rifle, of course without a magazine & have been looking everywhere but no luck at this point. Thought it would be a neat rifle to restore but without a magazine, it’s kinda useless. Thanks again! 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2022 at 10:33am
You can usually find that seller at a gun show that shows-up with a box of magazines that nobody knows what they fit. I have shopped those boxes before and found some pretty interesting and useful jewels. Maybe the first step is to shop for a single-stack mag that will accept the round (even if only a few) and will fit inside a 30-caliber mag shell ….then go from there. A discarded or damaged shell can be found. From that point, it’s a matter of trial-n-error to fit the assembly in a fashion that will feed and secure the mag inside the shell. I have used washers as spacers then silver-soldered it all in place. That did actually work for me after a fashion until I partnered with a fellow forum member that came up with a better idea, but it did work.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2022 at 10:48am
there are some pictures of what they look like on the Ferret page

some of the mags in the carbines pictured appear to be steel?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2022 at 12:10pm
OAL of the Ferret would make it very difficult to find a pistol mag it would fit, but there could be something out there. Might be possible to make a steel 30 caliber work with some feed lip reforming and maybe replace/modify the follower to single-stack. Might do some playing with a 357 round, I have those. Followers can be built from a product like Delrin. My buddy 03man knows how to do that.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2022 at 12:39pm
30-caliber magazine might be the best candidate. Have to stack the top round with the rim in front of the preceding round and maybe only hold three, but three is better than none. This pix shows two 357-mag rounds stacked in a 30-caliber magazine. I am thinking there is enough room to slide sections of sheet-metal into the inside on either side of the shell at the feed lips and reform some lips. A new single-feed flat follower is fairly easy to build. Of course, one would have to be able to braze or silver-solder things in place. One might have to tweak the opening in the front of the mag as well. The Sten Gun magazine actually has double feed-lips, so it's not a new concept. I suggest a single feed as that is what the original Ferret magazines are and they are much better feeders than the double stacked USGI.

If this were mine, I would be compelled to try this. Don't know why, ammo is about as scarce as chicken lips, but I am old and bored.

salessi View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salessi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2022 at 1:07pm
I definitely appreciate all the input & suggestions. After I track down some ammo, I’ll have to see if I can make a magazine that will work. Thank you again! 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2022 at 2:11pm
Who knows yet. You might be able to get 256 to feed out of a 30-caliber magazine. This has to be one of those labor-of-love projects. The 256 probably flies better at range and maybe more accurate, but a 7.62 x 33 loaded with a light projectile can easily duplicate the 256 performance and energy-wise, outperform it.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2022 at 4:09pm
All else failing, you could convert it to 30-caliber with a barrel change, say a USGI used or import marked, which do occasionally show up at reasonable prices. I have found them for $75-$80 for shooters. The bolt might still work, but the extractor likely requires replacement. You would have no rear sight, but the receiver was tapped for a scope-mount. You could maybe get by with no more than a couple hundred dollars or less and wind up with a shooting 30-caliber carbine. Or sell it to me real cheap….😁.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2022 at 8:49am
I was surfing around and found a Marlin 62 256-magnum magazine for sale on ebay. Marlin chambered the 62 in 30-carbine as well as 256 and the seller states this mag is for 256 or 30-carbine. So, size-wize the shell might could be adapted to a 30-carbine trigger housing. Probably too much of a reach, just tossing it out there. 

Edited by floydthecat - Feb 12 2022 at 9:04am
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2022 at 12:37pm
Took me awhile to remember this source for the .256 Win Mag/Vulcan .44 mag magazines...

https://www.triplek.com/product/universal-vulcan-no-440-rifle/

Not cheap and I can't guarantee the quality,

Jim
salessi View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote salessi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2022 at 1:33pm
Thank you, someone else also sent me that link thinking they may work but weren’t sure. It’s funny because they show in stock, I ordered one to try & then was told it’s on back order so I’m not sure if I’ll get one or not. Thank you again 
gglithox View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gglithox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2022 at 12:40pm
Here ya go, two Universal .256 mags just listed on GB. See link.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/926433012
salessi View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salessi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2022 at 1:22pm
Thank you very much! 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2022 at 1:49pm
That seller has some ammo, brass and even a complete rifle posted as well. Don’t see these often. If you’re into it for real, better jump on the mags, brass and ammo.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2022 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by gglithox gglithox wrote:

Here ya go, two Universal .256 mags just listed on GB. See link.

Congratulations to Wodash for winning, At the $755 for two magazines I would hope they are going to be reversed engineered as evidently two people were interested in this price.
gglithox View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gglithox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2022 at 3:09pm
There's another Universal .256 magazine on GB. It will be interesting to see where this one goes.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2022 at 6:34pm
Start bid about $150. Would need to keep that one in the safe. Pretty sure I could build something that would work. 
distrflman View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote distrflman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2022 at 10:43pm
I know someone with a rifle and ammo for sale if anyone is interested. I can put you in touch with him.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>