Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unknown M4 Bayonet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unknown M4 Bayonet
    Posted: Feb 27 2022 at 12:25pm
Saw a leather handled M4 bayonet on ebay yesterday, the guard was marked TOD, when I went back to look at it again it had sold for $200. I have never heard of any M4's marked TOD commercial, foreign or otherwise. I asked Bill Walters (author of U.S and Allied Military Knives) about it and he had never seen any M4 marked like this. Does anyone have any idea of its origin? 

Edited by W5USMC - Feb 27 2022 at 4:41pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2022 at 9:09pm
W5USMC,

The website below mentions TOD as an M4 bayonet manufacturer, though no other specifics are mentioned.

https://olive-drab.com/od_edged_weapons_bayonet_m4.php

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2022 at 9:59pm
Thanks David.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2022 at 7:54pm
Wayne,

I went to my books tonight, and checked bayonet works by the following authors for a TOD M4 reference:

Janzen
Cole
Kiesling
Cunningham (x2)

I looked in the 2015 version of Cunningham's book, and did not find a reference to a TOD M4 bayonet. I also have his earlier 1996 book, and I almost didn't check it, but I decided to anyway, and there I found a reference to the TOD bayonet. It was listed under the foreign production section, but probably was only listed there because it is of unknown origin.

Here is a photo of the coverage, which is provided under the limited use standard as an example of content within Gary M. Cunningham's "American Military Bayonets of the Twentieth Century," published by Scott A. Duff Publications in 1996, in case you want to look for a copy for yourself. Cunningham's 2015 book, "U.S. Knife Bayonets & Scabbards" was published by the same company, and both books are excellent resources, as evidenced by this post that calls the earlier book out as the only bayonet book so far known to mention a TOD M4 bayonet.

I'm not sure why Cunningham left the TOD reference out of the later book, but it could have easily been an oversight.

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2022 at 8:47pm
Good info David, thanks. I will look for Cunningham's 1996 book, I have been meaning to buy his 2015 book for some time now, just always end up spending the cash elsewhere. I also emailed Frank Trzaska about it but have not received anything from him. Bill Walters did not think it was a US WWII issued bayonet, but it did have a standard products (SP) butt plate which really has me wondering.
Here is a picture of the butt plate, not the usual starburst tang peen but similar to the peening of a Case M4.

Edited by W5USMC - Feb 28 2022 at 9:41pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2022 at 7:48am
The details may be in the leather
 Post Reply Post Reply