FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IBM Sling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IBM Sling
    Posted: Mar 22 2022 at 5:08pm
Here's a link we 'Sticky Bookmarked' with some input from Mr Ricca and pictures of some marked slings.

HTH,
Ch-P777

ETA: @ Dave: Really nicely marked IBM's, some of the nicest I've seen Thumbs Up
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2022 at 10:00am
Some examples of the IBM marked slings that I've run across.

Dave
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2022 at 6:34am
Some have claimed that black light or an infrared viewer can make it easier to see the markings.

There are Garand slings marked BMC/1944 and Ricca contends that there are carbine slings that MAY be marked that way and some claim it says IBM/1944.

Just the same the SMCo can look like BMC or IBM and they had the date as well
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2022 at 10:42pm
I think I see what you are seeing, but with the poor condition of the markings it is really too hard to say for sure. I have never seen a dated IBM sling but on page 578 of War Baby II it mentions "I.B.M. Co. (year)" as a known sling marking. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2022 at 4:12pm

carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2022 at 1:14pm
Were IBM slings ever marked with a date? My initial searches have just turned up examples marked “I.B.M.” on its own.

I just got another sling that appears to be marked “I.B.M.” With a date beneath it. Unfortunately as is so common with these the markings are somewhat obscure. I can definitely make out the “I.B.”. Working on some pictures once I finish cleaning it up.

Post Reply Post Reply