Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blondie and Dagwood's daughter Daisy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2022 at 11:18am
I don't see a picture with the crack, but hairline cracks from the recoil plate are common. If you plan to shoot the rifle, there should be a hair gap between the recoil plate tang in the back from the wood. If you post up a picture it would help assess.
Da1Chief View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da1Chief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2022 at 11:49am
OH Crap...  Thought I had included the Picture of the "Hairline Crack"  Ouch I get a Black Eye for that one.
Anyway here it is...

Again, I'm sorry that I left it out of the other pictures.  Was just in a hurry to get them posted, I simply didn't relize I had left it out..

Very respectively,
Da1Chief

Very respectfully,
Da1Chief
DPC,RMC,ITC(SW) USN Retired
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2022 at 11:58am
Looks like a repair already done with two brass pins and possibly glue.  Probably good to go.
Da1Chief View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da1Chief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2022 at 12:34pm
Thank You Sir,  I want to fill up the small holes there but not sure what to use, but that is a low priority for now.
Very respectfully,
Da1Chief
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2022 at 12:44pm
If you plan to shoot it, I might relieve a tiny bit of wood at the rear of the recoil plate. I use a dowel with fine sandpaper wrapped around it. It only needs to be a hair gap and if you're careful it will not get the wood out of shape or be noticeable. I only do this on shooters, not collector grade stocks which I do not shoot, after learning my lesson the hard way.
Da1Chief View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da1Chief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2022 at 12:54pm

Originally posted by ncin1911 ncin1911 wrote:

FWIW; 

The barrel appears to have a long skirt, flat muzzle crown and is undated. Would expect to have a T-1 narrow band and be mated to an IBM or IBM/A0 marked receiver that lands in the mid 12-43 to early 1-44 production timeframe.
The T-2 band usage by IBM starts showing up in late 1-44 production on short skirt round muzzle crown barrels.

This IBM/AO serial number would be expected to show up in the 11-43 production timeframe. Not gospel for AO marked receivers however.

IBM barrel dates track closely with their assembly timeframe. A company that was all about the numbers. Geek

The stock is great and would be expected/correct for that receiver. 

Take a look at this one, not too far from yours; try to ignore Bubba's handy work. The link in the first post should take you to the photo album. Warning; I like taking pictures of my IBM's.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/topic5012.html

1. The Barrel Does in fact have a Long Skirt, I assume that the Long Skirt without a date is common and not an issue that I should be worried about.

2. Thank You for setting my mind at rest about the type 2 Band markings being askew.

3. I agree the Type 2 band is out of place according to the timeframe of the serial number, I may look at replacing it with a type 1 that has the proper KVB marking on the swivel.  However, to find a "Real One" is insanely expensive.

4. Yes, I looked at you pictures.  Very Nice Weapons.  Helps me study them and know what to look for in the future (Thank You).  Yes, I agree you like taking pictures of your IBMs. (Big Smile)

Thank You again for all the help you have been giving me.  I truly appreciate it !!!

Very respectively,

Da1Chief

Very respectfully,
Da1Chief
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2022 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

Thanks for posting the additional photos. Sorry to say this, but the rear sight is a repro. And I can see the signs of adjustable sight staking.

Can you tell us how you can easily tell this one is a repro? Is it the lack of machining marks ?
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2022 at 7:59am
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

Thanks for posting the additional photos. Sorry to say this, but the rear sight is a repro. And I can see the signs of adjustable sight staking.

Can you tell us how you can easily tell this one is a repro? Is it the lack of machining marks ?

Milling is one characteristic to look at, there are many more. The best thing is to look at known good examples and pick out all the details that arent consistent. With this one there are multiple.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2022 at 10:23am
Okay, I will take a gander. Hope I dont compare it to another REPRO :)
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2022 at 7:55pm
Once you've seen several originals, you won't have any problem spotting repros.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12