Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Midway Mag Update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Midway Mag Update
    Posted: Jun 29 2022 at 10:50am
The magazines are on sale, for even less now. 

Most grade 3's are now $14.99

I have been waiting for Midway to have a "free shipping" promotion, but I feel like they know I am waiting on that as I feel like its been a while since they had one. But, for 15 bucks with 7 for shipping, might have to grab some.

Haven't I heard from other members that the "grade 3s" were actually pretty good quality? (ie not garbage)
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2022 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

Haven't I heard from other members that the "grade 3s" were actually pretty good quality? (ie not garbage)

I ended up buying 2 more grade 3's when they lowered the price the first time. So, of the (3) total I bought all were serviceable and in better condition than I expected although on the last 2 I received, the springs were installed backwards as was one of the followers. I'd say at $14.99 they may be a bargain.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2022 at 11:46am
Grade 1 in and out of wrap report at here

I think of it like gambling or buying a pack of baseball cards at the store.
There's no way to know for sure what you will get.
I went for grade 2 just because I didn't feel like dealing with surface rust at this time, and there was in my judgement (guess)  at least a 1 in 4 chance that would be the case.   
At other times I would have gone grade 3.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2022 at 9:49am
Midway now has free shipping for 49 orders. Got 3 mags and a big bottle of hoppes in its way for 52 bucks 
Bungalow Bill View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bungalow Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2022 at 4:51pm
I bought two of the grade three magazines from Midway. One was an early Type 1 (marked BW) and the other was a Type 2 (marked LU). I took them apart and cleaned them up — the Type 2 had quite a bit of grease on the inside. Got the dust and gunk out of both, made sure the springs were in correctly, and knocked off a little surface rust from the outsides with brass wool. 

I took them to the range today to try out in my Universal. Both of them took some wiggling to click securely in the mag well. The Type 1 was flawless, the the Type 2 had occasional issues feeding rounds from the left side of the mag. So I’m batting .500 so far, not bad odds especially when I think I can tweak the Type 2 where the top edges are a little chewed up. 

Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2022 at 12:59pm
I just got my order of 5 grade 3s today. Two showed moderate wear but were in good serviceable shape. Both were marked IS. Two showed only very light wear and were in very nice shape. Both were marked U. The fifth was covered with dried on cosmolene, and took some light scrubbing with a wire brush and acetone to clean up. I had to tear it down to clean the still soft cosmo from the inside. When I was done, I had a nearly new, unmolested RUGG marked mag. None of them had any sign of rust. The only one with any dings was the RUGG and the ding was so small that it was easy to miss unless you really looked close. It is about the size of the O shown here and very shallow. It is probably just a handling ding. These were the "generic mags" that they have on sale for 50% off. Definitely worth the money.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
M274A4 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M274A4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2022 at 8:09pm
just got my order of grade 2 mags, and man are they NICE!  I was very pleasantly surprised at the condition, only one had a light scrape on it, which looked as if it happened during shipping.  And the others looked in excellent condition,  no visible rust or scrapes of any kind.  I would definitely get the grade 2 again!  And these were a mix of Saginaw, Winchester, and National Postal Meter.  The sale is why I went for them, and happy I did!  
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2022 at 4:29pm
I appreciate all the reviews. Figured with the free shipping I would give 3 of the grade-2s a try.  Any idea why shipping is estimated to deliver on 8/15?  That's beyond snail mail.
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2022 at 5:50pm
It may update and give you a very much sooner estimated delivery date. I have ordered several times from Midway and they have always been very fast at shipping actually. Don't really see why it would be any different with the mags. But at first I'm always given a far off estimated delivery date and then after a day or two it usually updates to a more realistic estimated delivery.hth
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2022 at 8:09pm
Mine came several days before the estimated delivery date. expected 25th, but came 22nd.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
M274A4 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M274A4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2022 at 11:32am
same, mine showed up 3 days prior to the estimated delivery date. Usually Midway ships very quickly, and the estimated delivery day was a little longer than I expected, so the earlier delivery was a plus.  They still have some available too!  
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2022 at 9:08am
Here's my review of the Grade 3's. At $12.49 each with free shipping they weren't a bad deal. Bottom line: they should make good range mags. About half of the ones I received appear to be NOS where they had some corrosion under the wrapper. Scraped it off and used some steel wool to clean them up. Finish is gone is a bunch of spots and some light pitting so they're kind of ugly. Some slightly bent feed lips on a few which were easy enough to fix. That's better than the description of the grade 3. All appear usable. I see they've raised the price on Grade 3's to $13.99 now.
 Post Reply Post Reply