Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

National Postal Meter Cutaway Display Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rcathey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: National Postal Meter Cutaway Display Carbine
    Posted: Sep 27 2022 at 11:09am
Hi all,

New to the forum.  I posted this over on the Milsurps forum but it drew considerable interest so I thought I'd create an account and share here.

I'd be happy to take some more pictures if anyone wants to see something specific.  I will also be documenting any part markings as I take it apart and try to clean it up.

Enjoy!

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2022 at 11:25am
Welcome to the forum Ryan. Thanks for posting this interesting piece over here. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2022 at 12:07pm
Hello and welcome! That is an incredibly interesting piece you’ve got there. I’m sure we’d all like to see as many detailed photos of it as you are willing to post.

As far as cleaning it up, it looks like 0000 steel wool and oil will take care of most of that surface rust. You could also try one of the Big Frontier cleaning pads and oil. Those things work wonders and don’t hurt bluing.

rcathey View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcathey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2022 at 12:17pm
Thanks for the welcome, guys.  I will certainly be getting more pictures as well once I get it cleaned.

Over at milsurps, we've discussed the possibility it was a factory model.  

This came from an auction that was less than an hour from the National Postal Meter factory.

That's a rabbit hole that is being followed.  We shall see!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2022 at 12:25pm
I believe the finish is chrome. Steel wool with further degrade the finish.

carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2022 at 12:50pm
You’ve just got to be careful with steel wool and chrome. Another hobby of mine is collecting and restoring 1940s/50s balloon tire bikes. Cleaned lots of chrome! With steel wool you need plenty of oil and light pressure. You’re not trying to scrub it like a neglected cast iron pan. Also soaking in lemon juice works really well at removing rust from chrome plated parts. You can get gallon jugs from a restaurant supply store. Dunk the parts and depending on the severity of rust, it can take as little as a couple hours for the juice to work it’s magic. There will still be a need for some light buffing, but it does all the hard work.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2022 at 1:09pm
There is soft chrome as well as hard chrome. I have seen several NPM chromed items from the factory and will say it is soft. The citric acid will work under the chrome through the cracks and possibly peel it.
This is a known item is along the lines of a presentation. Best to leave this one alone other than light cleaning and oiling.
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2022 at 3:02pm
Welcome to the forum Ryan! You will find tons of great information here
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2022 at 4:25pm
With all the pitting, it will never look like new. Even the chrome won't. I'd leave it. Truth be told, the rust looks cool. It's obviously ancient.
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2022 at 6:54pm
I’ve cleaned up chrome with Coca Cola with great results.  Just soak it for a bit then rinse and wipe and oil.   But a piece like this, I would leave it be.  I think any attempt to restore or “clean it up” will cause further damage.   Maybe oil it to prevent it from drying out.  It sure is a nice display.  And welcome to the forum. 
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2022 at 8:56pm
Its a relic, if you get no bites on I would be interested in the 750 range, be a great conversation piece. If was in better shape could be worth double what I am offering. Pieces like it are hard to value as not a lot of collectors of oddball stuff.
rcathey View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcathey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2022 at 9:29am
Thanks again for the tips on cleaning.  For now, I'll just stick with oiling it up and wiping off the dust.  Depending on what is discovered about the history, I may do more in the future.

I certainly don't need to sell the item.  I paid very little for it and would like to keep it for myself.
Unless it's worth something ridiculous, I will be keeping it.

Frankly, my pockets aren't deep enough to keep something uber valuable.  Until this crosses into that territory, it will remain on my desk Beer

More to come soon as I take it apart for a light cleaning and oiling!
 Post Reply Post Reply