Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your goals for the New Year?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your goals for the New Year?
    Posted: Jan 01 2016 at 8:30am
Hoping for a good New Year for everyone and I'm looking forward to activity on the forum regarding our favorite obsession.

What is everyone's goal in Carbines for the New Year?
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2016 at 11:53am
First post on the new forum!

I have my collection rounded out with plenty of mixmaster shooters that have all been a blast to enjoy at the range, so now I would like to focus on tracking down more original, collector grade rifles. One specific carbine that still eludes me; a very high serial 6.9M Inland hand stamp M1... I had bought one years ago but had to return it to the seller upon inspection because of undisclosed receiver damage. Since then, I haven't run across one for sale with a higher serial or barrel date.

Of course, who knows what will happen when opportunity presents itself and a good deal pops up on something that catches my eye

Good luck to all in the new year!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2016 at 12:21pm
An original SG or Rock-Ola
Seems that I have not found a decent one that is reasonable.

the end goal is one of each as original. Of the mixmasters I have these two need the most improvement.

Edited by New2brass - Jan 01 2016 at 1:33pm
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2016 at 12:55pm
I'm always looking for original examples regardless of maker [ I don't discriminate ] I like them all . It would make my year or 2 if I could come across an original Rock-Ola spring tube , I've come close but never 100% original .. Oh and the same in IP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2016 at 1:00pm
I always keep my eye out for you on that one, TH too!
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2016 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

I always keep my eye out for you on that one, TH too!

Thank you Sir !
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2016 at 4:53pm
I am not one that has to have all of the manufacturers. I could have done that by now, but what still drives me is find a carbine that has some combination of originality or otherwise a rarer part or parts on it. Unfortunately, the further I go along the more reluctant I am to part with one of my current carbines to buy another. I guess I am at some kind of overly anal tipping point now with my collection. Has anyone ever been there before where you didn't want to part with an item from your current collection, while not having the money to buy an additional outright?

Edited by Why Carbines? - Jan 01 2016 at 4:56pm
BryanJ1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanJ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2016 at 6:25pm
My carbine collecting goals for this coming year will be minimal, for a couple of reasons: I retired in June and income is about half of what it was, and this past year there have been several other purchases, including a couple of Garands, an 03A3, and a few others. I've got my eye on a friend's Winchester carbine that he bought in the early 60s and If I can convince him to let it go, then that would be my next carbine. Good to see some familiar names on this new forum. I've learned a lot from you guys in the last couple of years, thanks!
gene of oregon View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2016 at 11:58pm
Why Carbines?   
             Thanks for your post, that fits me to a tee. I'm now at #14 total carbines, six correct or original with one in transit. The rest are mix-masters in various grades. I'm at that tipping point also and managed to take that step of selling one to offset buying an upgrade, which is the one in transit. I'm a carbine addict and maybe selling another I'll be cured Har Har
aschaefer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aschaefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2016 at 7:25am
Goals for the new year? Getting more carbines of course Smile
Right now I am looking at a very nice Inland lying in a shop that I would like to buy. Made an offer end of last year already but the owner hasn't responded yet.

Being a collector I have my problems to sell what I have decided to buy once. But to get some space for my preferred weapons I have started to sell now some of my other weapons. An Ishapore L2A1 is already gone (to my surprise), my Chilenean K98 Model 1912 made by Steyr is lying like a rotten apple in the shop, nobody seems to be interested. My German WWII long guns I am not ready to sell yet and the same applies to my 3 Enfield Jungle Carbines. Maybe I should by a new safe instead but my wife will kill me if I do Wink
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2016 at 11:18am
you have a small closet? you can gut it and add extra studs. add hardware mesh over studs. Double sheetrock the walls with fire rated boards. In the USA it is 5/8 inch, this makes for very difficult to breach the wall.
add a security door. You could also add an alarm.
Someone with enough time could get in, but most safes can be moved, or broken into a person has the determination.
Dnikkor View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnikkor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2016 at 1:27pm
Besides winning the most recent CMP lottery, my continuing goal is to find an affordable to me M1A1. I'm not holding my breath on either.
 Post Reply Post Reply