Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland M2 - link to pictures added

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aschaefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland M2 - link to pictures added
    Posted: Jan 14 2016 at 4:19pm

Bought this one last year. It came with a modified Norwegian Krag Bayonet (Fits perfectly!).
Does anybody know the marking on the stock just in front of the sling cut ? Is it a rebuild mark?

welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2016 at 10:47pm
some BA markings may be Bennica Arsenal--nice m2--shame it aint over here with papers! $8000 toy here
Car Wash Chris View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2016 at 8:54am
Originally posted by welbytwo welbytwo wrote:

some BA markings may be Bennica Arsenal--nice m2--shame it aint over here with papers! $8000 toy here

Ditto That ! Very Nice M2. Here's a over stamp on GB which should make us M2 owners happy.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=535201583
aschaefer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aschaefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2016 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Car Wash Chris Car Wash Chris wrote:

Originally posted by welbytwo welbytwo wrote:

Ditto That ! Very Nice M2. Here's a over stamp on GB which should make us M2 owners happy.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=535201583

I like the description in that auction! "Standard Hardware" Must be a new Variant Big smile

I actually have the M2 Conversion on a Standard Products in a Repro Folding Stock. Bought that one when I was still missing a Standard Products M1.
Car Wash Chris View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2016 at 12:05pm
I had mine in a folding stock but it would un-fold during FA   
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2016 at 1:26am
FYI, stock markings are covered on two of the web pages. The one for the stocks and the one for the post war ordnance ops that includes a list and examples of the rebuild markings. Benecia Arsenal included.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/postwar.html

Jim
aschaefer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aschaefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2016 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by sleeplessnashadow sleeplessnashadow wrote:

FYI, stock markings are covered on two of the web pages. The one for the stocks and the one for the post war ordnance ops that includes a list and examples of the rebuild markings. Benecia Arsenal included.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/postwar.html

Jim

Thanks Jim, I had seen them before. I was wondering because the orientation of the BA marking is different (turned 90 degrees) to the one on the website. Although the font seems to be the same I was also wondering about the 16 marking on mine. Have you seen that before already?
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2016 at 2:30pm
I have an ongoing project on the various additional markings that appear as part of the rebuild marks. Along with orientation, location and other characteristics.

I have not seen the number 16 below the BA but based on all of the rebuild markings from the various Ordnance facilities there are variations to most of them.

a) usually, but not always, located in the same place. Often do not follow directions of where the location was supposed to be.

b) usually, but not always, oriented the same way

c) usually, but not always, the same font and size

d) sometimes they have 1-3 additional letters or numbers following or below the Ordnance designated markings

e) sometimes these extra letters are one of several Ordnance inspector's initials

f) sometimes some of these markings appear with a box, sometimes not

Unlike the Ordnance inspector marks on the stocks during WWII, those that do accompany rebuild marks are not the Ordnance District Chief. They are the supervising Ordnance inspector at the facility at a particular time.

Keep in mind several of these arsenals and armories conducted inspect and rebuild operations more than once after WWII, with lapses in time between them. As evidenced by two sets of rebuild marks. We don't know if there was a different protocol rea rebuild marks at a given facility at a given time.

Rebuild marks that include the Ordnance inspector initials can often be dated to the time period that person was the supervising Ordnance inspector at that facility.

What the bosses in Washington ordered be done and documented it, was not always documented at the operational level were they did the best they could with what they had at various times. Keep in mind the rebuild locations and their final inspectors were dealing with an unimaginable volume of Ordnance, the small arms inspectors included.

Unrelated to inspect and rebuild ops but to gain insight on operations at these facilities, I have first hand eye witness accounts of the operations at Benecia Arsenal in the mid to late 1950's. Benecia Arsenal was designated the primary arsenal in charge of receiving everything coming back from the Pacific theater of WWII and the War in Korea. The place was a madhouse and overwhelmed to the point they had to expedite some things to keep the flow moving.

The carbine was never officially declared obsolete. Benecia Arsenal received permission to declare certain items as in excess of inventory needs and dispose of them.

They tossed tons of material into a furnace at the arsenal to anneal and warp them, then sold them off to scrap metal dealers for recycling the metal. Saw cutting and torch cutting became too time intensive for the volumes they received. And, metal recycling being the scrap buyers and dealers they were, they were sometimes amenable to selling access to things via a back door. While we can be critical of those who bought access to that door, they saved literally tons of receivers and parts.

The point being some of the arsenals and their personnel were focused on expediting things, whatever they were, which likely impacted the way they did things at various points in time.

One of my goals is to place many of these things into the historical context. Black and white was the film of the time but these things take on a level of color that is sometimes amazing when viewed within their historical context.

Eventually more will be added to the Post WWII Ordnance Operations page. For the moment the priority is getting the "coming soon" pages built.

There is a research project waiting for an experienced researcher and investigator to pinpoint the dates and learn the quantities at each of these facilities that did rebuilds. we know a few, but only a few. Rebuilds by Underwood and Standard Products are right at the top of this list.

Hope this helps.

Jim

P.S. I'm out of town at the Shot Show this week. Leaving now. Doing more research.
aschaefer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aschaefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2016 at 3:53pm
Thanks again Jim! Good luck for your resarch. We will all have our benefits from your findings!
 Post Reply Post Reply