Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reference recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomhorn1913 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reference recommendation
    Posted: Jan 29 2016 at 6:22pm
Howdy,

New guy.  Presently assembling three shooter carbines (safe & reliable are the priorities) for grandkids.  Two early-ish Inland receivers & one mid/late-90s Springfield Armory commercial receiver.  NOS Winchester & SA barrels gauge 0, another SA is 0.5.  The quest for quality & safety has me (& everyone else) shopping for USGI parts.  I picked up a copy of Riesch's 7th Ed, & it have been very helpful.  Is there a consensus on another reference that takes up post-war production, where Riesch leaves off?  I don't need a full-blown development history so much as production data to help me shop more knowledgeably.

Case in point - I just received some ejector assemblies that I ordered as spares.  The plungers are blue, & the ends are flat, w/o any bevel or radius.  They were advertised as GI, but unless someone can direct me to credible corroboration, I'm presuming they are not.

Super website.  Wish you much success.

Much obliged,
Matt
weimar_police View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weimar_police Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2016 at 6:47pm
Matt, good luck in building them - usually building anything will cost a lot more than buying full guns
That said, I have built up many shooter lugers, but if you have parts, it makes it easier - and also if you are more willing to pay a bit at a time its easier at that time

I got a barrel, slide, bolt and some other parts from my grandfather and built my first Inland, should have kept it, but I sold it years ago...

Welcome to the forum!
Edward Tinker
Co-Author of Police Lugers 2012
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I / Vol II and Vol III
Co-Author of the book Simson Lugers
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2016 at 6:58pm
Get an operating slide that is stamped 7160091 on the bottom. Better reliability.
tomhorn1913 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomhorn1913 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2016 at 7:47pm
Thanks!

Yeah, I recognize that I'm paying premium price, but grandkids are worth it.  Late parts - round bolts, T5/6 slides, type 2 sights - & in like new condition whenever possible, are all in the recipe.  I think I'm right around $1K per unit, but hopefully they'll get years of enjoyment, & component failures will be unheard of.

I just need the right reference source to shop for post-war parts, so I don't help deplete the supply of collectors' parts.  :)

Peace,
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply