Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My First M1 Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My First M1 Carbine
    Posted: Feb 02 2016 at 8:18pm
I thought I'd post the story of how I bought my first M1 Carbine. Actually, it was my first firearm...

I grew up in Kaneohe, and Honolulu, Hawaii. We had a few gun shops, and the two I frequented quite often were Security Equipment (still around), and Territorial Sporting Goods. (not still around) Most folks today realize that Hawaii is the 50th state, but then again, you'd be surprised how many people would refer to the mainland as "back in the states" when I lived there. That aside, Hawaii was and still is the youngest state in the Union, so when people used to forget it was a state, I'd politely alert them to that fact.

Hawaii had a lot of WWII guns in circulation from the Pacific War. GI's usually stopped in Hawaii on their way back from the war, and many war trophies and other bring backs stayed there, undoubtedly relinquished for fun on Oahu. In the early 80's, Security Equipment usually had at least 20 Nambus, and many Garands and Johnson Rifles available for sale. I remember the Johnsons being very high priced at between $450 and $600. We used to walk to the store after school to dream about what we could buy when we were old enough, and the folks that worked there were pretty cool with us teenage wannabes. I guess they saw future customers.

Territorial Sporting Goods had been in business since prior to statehood in 1959, and was a small shop run by an old man in 1984, when I became 18. I remember he was friendly, and he showed me 2 rifles I was interested in, which were an M1 Carbine, and an M1 Garand. I think the Garand was $300, and the M1 Carbine was $195. I bought the Carbine...a Winchester in the 5.6 million serial range. I had no idea at the time that there were different manufacturers. I just liked the gun. It was the first firearm I ever purchased or owned. I registered it with the Honolulu Police Department, which was only required for handguns, but I guess since I was 18 years old, and wanting to see how things worked, I went ahead and registered it, anyway.

I also bought a box of vintage WWII ammo at the same time I bought the rifle, but decided not to shoot it, because the box was really cool. I went to Honsport later, and bought some Remington Carbine ammo. I shot it for the first time on a large tract of conservation land that bordered my Dad's house in Kaneohe. I loved it! Still have pictures of that outing...

Anyway, that's my first M1 Carbine story. Of course, I still have the Carbine, and cherish it.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
 Post Reply Post Reply