Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M1 Carbine Durability and Arsenal Rebuild Specs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M1 Carbine Durability and Arsenal Rebuild Specs
    Posted: Feb 09 2016 at 9:28pm
I have some 1950's documents that indicate M1 Carbines with more than 15,000 rounds through them should be removed from service, and tagged for arsenal rebuild. To me, this seems like a relatively low round count for such action when compared to other military firearms.

There has been recent discussion among M2 Carbine owners that folks are shooting their M2's less often, and it doesn't have anything to do with ammunition cost. They are worried about continued full auto abuse on the receiver and other components.

Obviously, the M1/M2 Carbine is a lightweight weapon, and mechanical longevity may not necessarily have been a consideration in its design. It served our country well for about a quarter century, and its users either loved it, or hated it, with the latter mostly attributing their angst toward decreased stopping power when compared to other weapons, in my discussions with past combat users.

So, has anyone among us fired more than 15,000 rounds through their M1/M2 Carbine(s)? Has anyone observed any significant wear or abuse of concern after that many rounds were fired? I've only put about 500 rounds through my 3 M1 Carbines over the years, so I can't say myself. If I shoot a 15 round magazine through one of mine, I'm usually done, and on to the next gun. Does anyone consider the weapon "fragile?"

Any input on the subject is appreciated.

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Tired Retired View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tired Retired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2016 at 11:12pm
While I have fired a collective several thousand rounds thru my shooters over the past few years, I don't think any one has gotten more than 500 or 600 individually so I can not answer your primary question. However, I have seen wear over other firearms that I have shot excessively.

When it comes to the recommendation for the carbine, I would actually go look at the tech manuals to see ahat they were lookng for. What I see in the depot level service is not an automatic total rebuild or mandatory replacement of any particular parts. I see an inspection of the parts with a replacement of any parts which do not meet standards. That includes anything from headspace being out to trugger pull weight to slide wear, etc. Now I would guess that the recoil spring would probably need replacement at that point (easy guess). But based on the wear I see on my carbines, I would also guess that slide tabs, bolt lugs and mag catches got a close look. The finish???? Hmmm who knows. But unlike a 3,000 mile mandatory oil and filter change, I think it would all be based on what was identified during the inspection.

Just my two cents...

Ed
 Post Reply Post Reply