Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

INLAND hammer marked 'GI'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: INLAND hammer marked 'GI'
    Posted: Feb 14 2016 at 9:39am
Is this early dogleg hammer a fairly rare part. This 'GI' mark is not mentioned in WarBaby, only in Larson's book. Does anyone know the manufacturer?
Dave
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2016 at 11:56am
GI= Garden City Plating Company

But that GI marking is not like the ones I've seen.

After taking a closer look, I think that is an original type-1 hammer that has been tampered with. Can you say where you obtained it?

BTW thanks for sharing.
Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2016 at 12:21pm
I agree, that GI looks wrong compared to the ones that I have seen.
Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2016 at 2:39pm
Thanks for the input. This hammer is from an early I-cut Inland. The hammer mark does appear to have a partial serif on the 'I'.
Dave
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2016 at 4:36pm
Thanks for the added photos and information. From what I can see, your Inland carbine looks like a nice one. It's hard to establish an opinion based on one photograph and this is probably a good example why. My assessment that it was an original type-1 hammer, that had been tampered with, is that the GI marking does not match other hammers that I have seen in the past.

Notice that the marking on all three hammers are near identical. The "G" is almost flat on the top and bottom and that the "I" has serifs. The picture of the hammer in question, that was first posted, has a "G" with a rounded top and bottom, and an "I" with no noticeable serifs.

There was one other thing on the hammer that bothered me. The machining marks around the "GI" marking.

Notice that the machine marking on the three hammers in the composition photo run diagonal to the marking. On the hammer in question, the machine marks in the vicinity of the marking are vertical or transverse to the long axis of the hammer. I hadn't seen that before and thought the original marking had been milled off and a new marking applied.

The new photos that have been posted paint a different picture. The top of the "G" takes on a more flat appearance. It's probably an original marking that looks odd because of the partial stamping. I'd be interested in seeing more of the overall carbine if you're willing to post them.
Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2016 at 6:08pm
I see what you mean, good eye. It almost seems as if the last pass with the mill bit removed most of the serifs on the 'I'. Otherwise why in the world would someone mess with the markings on a dogleg hammer when you can just buy the correct one? The bolt is marked 'AI'and there is what looks like an 'A' stamped inside the I-cut. The butt plate is diagonal stamped. The slide is type E169. The ejector, extractor, safety and firing pin are all type 1. The extractor plunger is the full cone type. Mag. release is marked 'EI'. I don't have a bore gauge but the barrel appears to have had very little use as the left side of the TH shows. The TH pin is the early spring type. The early recoil plate is unmarked and the screw is in like new condition.
Dave
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2016 at 6:25pm
Nice carbine. I especially like the early Inlands with the black oxide finish.

I've seen the "A" in the oiler cut of other early Inlands as well. Interestingly, the "A" is also found in the oiler cut of many Irwin Perdersen carbines.

Post Reply Post Reply