Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stake Marks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stake Marks
    Posted: Feb 18 2016 at 6:02pm
I was looking in my books and could not Find the differences. What does it tell you about a Carbine that has Stake Marks on the Rear Sight Dovetail. Is it better not to have them. I was looking at a Carbine that said All Correct, but the Rear Sight had Stake Marks. I looked at my All Correct Carbine with a Rear Flip Sight and I had no Stake Marks. Whats the difference between the Carbines. TIA.
Frank

Tired Retired View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tired Retired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2016 at 11:09pm
One thing I would consider is the difference between the words "correct" and "original".   To some in the carbine world, "correct" means that parts on a carbine which were not part of its original manufacture are replaced with parts bearing marks which would have likely been on the carbine at the time of its manufacture. "Original" is usually conferred to mean that the carbine has all of the exact, original parts which were initially assembled during the manufacture process (i.e. No parts were updated or changed).

In the case of the stake marks, they indicate that it is likely that a type II or type III rear sight was once installed on that dovetail. Since someone has replaced it with a type I which is "correct" but obviously not the "original" part, it is now considered "corrected". Hence, it can not be valued at a higher dollar amount of a carbine that is in its original configuration.

Its all a play on words, but those words are what help establish values to carbines as collectables.

Just my two cents.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2016 at 11:28pm
Okay...So a Carbine with a Flip Sight that has Crude Stake marks means that the Flip Sight on it now was not Correct for that Carbine...well correct yes, but not original to it., Right ?
Frank

Tired Retired View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tired Retired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2016 at 12:02am
One would have to look at the stake marks to begin with.  Do they line up with where the type I sight is at?  Are there indications present that show that the type I has been on the carbine a loooong time (patina, matches surrounding surfaces, etc)?  Does the type I show marks where it has been pushed into place?  How "fresh" is the metal of the stake marks compared to the surrounding metal?  Assuming that the front sight is original, does the carbine shoot to a point of aim?  There are a good number of indicators which helps you evaluate the rear sight to determine if it is original or just correct.  There is just not a flashing neon sign or a rigid "if this, then that" set of rules.  This is why doing evaluating and determining collector values is such an art work.

Just remember, that an "original " is always "correct"... but not all "corrects" are "originals"
 Post Reply Post Reply