Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Canvas "riggers" carrying case

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swarrenb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canvas "riggers" carrying case
    Posted: Apr 07 2016 at 4:25pm
I have a buddy who recently got ahold of what looks to be a WWII vintage M1 Carbine canvas carrying case that has an extension sewn on to the barrel end to increase the length of it.  The case is olive drab and looks to be a genuine M1 Carbine case, but it has a dark khaki colored extension sewn onto the end where the barrel goes.  The dark khaki colored material that comprises the sewn on extension appears to be as old as the case itself.  The case is marked "1944 R.B. HANSON Mfg Co." on the inside.

I would not call myself an "expert", but at least a serious geek when it comes to the M1 Carbine; however, this "riggers" carrying case is stumping me. The internet opinions on whether they are period WWII, post-war, or latter-day fakes are all over the map.

So I through this out to the experts on this board for your opinion.  Were such "riggers"  canvas carrying cases made during WWII by adding extensions onto existing M1 Carbine carrying cases?  Were they done post-WWII?  Or, are they fakes made to deceive?

I also heard that some company got ahold of a bunch of the M1 Carbine carrying cases after the war but could not sell them because of their shorter length, so they lengthened them (not to deceive) but simply to render them useful to guys with longer rifles.  Is this true or yet another internet yarn?

By the way, my reason for asking besides the fact that I am simply very curious, is because my friend offered to sell it to me for $50, and I have no idea as to whether that is a good, bad, or mediocre price.
GoldenGuy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GoldenGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2016 at 4:00am
I seem to remember reading about this. Not sure if in newsletters of books like War Baby.
Seem to remember as you write either post war or crafty vendor.
Do not forget that there were other wars and riggers did what they had to.
Also not to long ago surplus was cheap and abundant. Items were bought in bulk for pennies. Many figured out how to re pourpous items
 Post Reply Post Reply