Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Infrared Scopes and Equipment, Night Vision
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M3 Infrared Sniper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelly777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M3 Infrared Sniper
    Posted: Mar 27 2018 at 2:00pm
I recently acquired an M3 Infrared Sniper with all of the accessories. The rifle is an OC/HW Inland #5,548,646 (11/44) in nice shape.
It was rebuilt by Standard Products Corporation, Ohio and has the marking STD/PROD/RWH on the left side of stock.
Was this where it was converted to an M3 or was this just the rebuild facility?
If not where were they converted?

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2018 at 2:27pm
Kelly, Welcome to the forums!
Standard Products rebuild program was circa 1951, I do not believe they had anything to do with the sniperscopes.
I believe it was the Corps of Engineers that maintained the scopes.  The carbine would most likely have been fitted in the field. 
I believe the scopes and carbines would up in the states separately and were assembled by collectors.

SO the big question is if the unit works? I would caution against just powering it up if you are not familiar with electronics. If the cables are in disrepair you can get a jolt that you will not forget. At 20,000 volts it is more than enough to stop a heart!
A great many of the power supplies were rebuilt by collectors in the 80s.
If you were to take the top off of the power supply you could compare to pictures we have posted in Infrared section.
Again caution is advised, but this time for not destroying a possible original power pack. 
If you wish to open please let me know first and I will run you through how to open so you do not break the high voltage tower or other plastics which may be inside.

I take it you read this? Tale a look at the original linked at top

Also when you have the time could you please fill out a datasheet on the scope,

There are 3 or 4 articles in the newsworthy section which will be moved to the infrared section soon.

Best, Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply