Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Fun Stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who made this stock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OAMAAM68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 5:35pm
Wartime replacement stock IR made by Robert Irwin Co.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 8:54pm
We have several winners. Actually Dan was the first winner. The single note of a tune, really?

Here's the last picture.

JackP
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 9:31pm
Yes, Painter, there is a patch. I'm surprised that it stops just short of the oiler slot. Otherwise I would not have noticed it. Also note the ordnance bomb in the oiler slot. Have you ever seen that before?
JackP
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 10:21pm
So do all IR stocks look like this on does around the recoil plate? What else in the other pics were indicators that it was an Irwin stock?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 10:25pm
Seen a Lumb with the same Bomb in the same location... In the oiler slot.
Didn't see it until it was stripped to remove a Korean paint job.
At first, I thought it was a milling mark.
I believe I still have a picture of it.... currently held for ransom by Photobucket.

Nice looking stock and interesting...... just the way I like em.

Cheers,
Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 9:48am
You can from time to time see a gap in the recoil plate on other stocks too, although it's most likely not by design. Think sanding, shrinkage, and even human error of some kind or another. I have also read that cast recoil plates can have much the same gap issue.
Keep in mind that the chin area (underneath) of an Irwin stock has a pretty quick transition to the bottom part compared to other stocks. All I say is that someone tried, I think, to picture that...
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 10:26am
Ordnance drawings specify a .25" radius in the corners to match the radius of the recoil plate. It looks like Irwin used a .125" radius instead. I guess it was approved by Army Ordnance. They stamped it twice!

This stock is a Type 3 oval cut, low wood with a short barrel channel. There is no M2 selector cutout.

Not all Irwin stocks have this feature, but all that have this feature are Irwin stocks. A search of images on the internet will show examples of RSG and IP stocks with this feature as well as this featured wartime replacement stock. A great place to look for this is in the CMP Auction web site on the completed auctions section. There are literally hundreds of images of relatively unmessed with carbines.

Other more subtle features include the more angular forend (See picture posted earlier) and the squarish forend cross section, like Winchester.
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2018 at 2:36pm
Wow, Have not observed the OB in oiler cut! Everyone check theirs!

I finally have some time to take pictures but it seems another has popped up, but an RSG

Not as squared off but still a gap.

Previous to this thread I had posted the following
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

I have seen washers under the recoil plate, JB weld or bedding of the recoil plate. I do not think the recoil plate was designed to be so tight into the wood, rather I think it was meant to be lifted and bolt as an adjustment. If you look at a RSG stock you will see a great many left the factory with a decent gap around the recoil plate area. I do not think ordnance would have accepted these if there was an issue.

Funny that the washer thing just popped up, Will address that later.

And I officially take myself out of the running as being first with naming it in one note, This was an excellent quiz and I hope many have learned from it!

Points to Jack and Charlie.

Submit your own in this section or post your ideas here

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2018 at 3:01pm
Just in case anyone doubts the wider cut on RSG VS IR (same mfg)
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2019 at 2:39pm
@Hunterman, although the stock originally pictured in this thread was a Robert W. Irwin stock, you were also correct in that Milton Bradley stocks often have a similar shape around the recoil plate. New2brass sent me this picture recently. You should get at least half credit on this quiz. Here's the pic of a Milton Bradley stock marked BR-B.

JackP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12