Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"0" Stamp on Receiver Top + Trigger Housing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustygun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "0" Stamp on Receiver Top + Trigger Housing
    Posted: Jul 30 2019 at 12:36pm
Sorry, no pics... I brought the wrong rifle to work with me.

I have a 1944 mfg Inland M1 Carbine. On the top of the receiver in front of the rear sight is a 0 stamped top center.

There is also a 0 stamped at the very bottom of the trigger guard. The trigger group is an EARLY Type 1 Winchester

The Inland slide also has a 0 stamped on the bottom.

Inspector or arsenal rebuild mark?

I appreciate any help or guidance on the matter.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2019 at 5:22pm
is the last digit of the serial number 0?
rustygun View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustygun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2019 at 6:35pm
Thanks for replying. The S/N ends in a 6. The rifle is in the 5077xxx serial number range.

The fact that the Trigger Group Housing is a Type I and a Winchester to boot, makes me thing these came together at a later date, possibly a rebuild. I'll try and bring the right rifle in and take some pictures.

The stamping is clearly egg-shaped, so should be a zero, not an "O"

This club is an amazing source of information and entertainment...
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2019 at 9:34pm
There is one group in the Bavarian/ Austian that I believe used the numbers 1 to 4. 

It would seem some group was trying to keep the parts together. Mind you the carbine was the first that had interchangeable parts without having to be fitted.

rustygun View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustygun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2019 at 12:31pm
Brought the right rifle in today so I took a few pics... However I seem unable to resize the picture. I will edit and update as soon as I figure it out.

Edited by rustygun - Jul 31 2019 at 6:09pm
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2019 at 1:28pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
rustygun View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustygun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2019 at 8:28pm
If at first you don't succeed...

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2019 at 10:39am
So this is where pictures really help. The different sizes/fonts show that it was not done by the same stamp ruling out rebuild inspection or a marking to keep parts together such as the Austrian/Bavarian did.

Many Winchester trigger housings have been observed with a letter or number n the location you show. CCNL 336-8

Inland slides slides have also been observed with letters on the outside bottom of the box. CCNL 346-17

The picture of the Inland receiver triggered my brain Lamp .
Several Inland in the 5.075 to 5.082 have been reported with an O or oval mark in the location you show.  Some Inland receivers in and after that range have been reported with a punch mark in that location. The purpose of these markings is unknown.  CCNL 361-2

I have a few theories on the receiver marking. Can you check and let me know if there is a marking on the bottom of the receiver on the trigger housing lug. Also, check the breech of the barrel for a letter. it would be in the area where the handguard slides into the receiver.

So is it a coincidence that these parts wound up together? Or did a previous owner find the markings interesting and put together?

rustygun View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustygun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2019 at 2:11pm
Thank You New2brass for the info. Funny how the more we learn the more questions we raise! I did as you suggested and took apart the INLAND again.

One piece of information I failed to mention before is that this is not the stock the firearm was in when I purchased it. It had an amazing INLAND Walnut Late Perch Belly Stock. In the sling well was a vertically stamped HI or IH... (The I was above the H).

On the left side of the stock where there are usally stamped Arsenal Rebuild Marks are a tiny MR. Several sources suggest this as being the "Mount Rainier Ordnance Depot"

Barrel date is: 2-44 (As you surmised)

Edited by rustygun - Aug 01 2019 at 2:49pm
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2019 at 2:41pm
it would seem that the letters on the breech stopped with 2-44 dated barrels. I am wondering if the marking on the dovetail replaced the marking on the breech for a short period?

We would need people with the O or punch in that area to report the mark, barrel date and if the barrel is marked as described.
 Post Reply Post Reply