Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PI marked handguard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PI marked handguard
    Posted: Aug 21 2019 at 12:40pm
For the better part of two years now, I have owned a beautiful 4 rivet walnut handguard that is marked PI. I know PI is a known Inland mark for metal parts such as rear sights, slides, etc. (Packard Mfg. for Inland if I am not mistaken) Does anyone know who made this handguard? I can verify it is not PJ marked, but rather PI. Thanks in advance!

USGI magazines are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2019 at 3:24pm
I've seen PI marked HG's reported by others, made from both walnut and birch.
Every reply I've seen is 'It must be a PJ' or P1.
PJ would be a replacement made by Pedersen Mfg. for Jewell Bros Mfg. Spare stock contract.
I have never heard the answer to your question.

Even though PI hand guards are out there....

Sorry NO Help,
CH-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
1989LX View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2019 at 3:35pm
I did have a theory however there is really nothing to back it except for prior knowledge and a WAG. Would it be reasonable to assume that PI could be Pedersen Bros. for Inland? Why I say that is as we know Pedersen made stocks and HGs for Underwood and as replacement parts. That being the case I feel it may be slightly logical to wonder if maybe Pedersen made HGs for Inland, then again this was a WAG that I made based on what I already know. Not saying it is fact by any means however.
USGI magazines are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2019 at 4:22pm
That would be my WAG also.
Maybe WWII post war replacements.
I could see SE Overton wanting to scale back and get back to furniture $$ (But did build stocks after the War for a while, to include some for the toy carbines)
And Hillerich and Bradsby back to baseball bats for all the returning GI'S and return of baseball.

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2019 at 6:55pm
On page 131 of R C Larson's M1 Carbine 2nd edition is a reference to P-1 stock replacement
 information.
 Hope this is of some help. 
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2019 at 8:15pm
I would not put too much confidence in anything from larson.

Somewhere I posted a responce to a handguard that had a lamination over a HG that was cutout for an M3 stock.

I came across a basket of these handguard at a show. The warkinhs were varied,  but I do not believe any of them were USGI.
One of them was marked PI.
I am not saying this is the case with the OPs.

I guess I would start with a Pedersen made HG and compare machining and stamps.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2019 at 11:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply