Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trigger housing pins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dallas Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trigger housing pins
    Posted: Jun 20 2020 at 10:16pm
Can someone tell me exactly what is the difference between the Plainfield trigger housing pins and the USGI pins.Thanks
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2020 at 6:19am
Generally, they should be the same, but it might depend at what point in production the carbine was assembled. Toward the end of production, these commercials used what parts they had on hand to build what they could before going bankrupt. Iver Johnson acquired Plainfield and Universal before they eventually went-under and you can find any of these parts in an Iver Johnson carbine late in production. I have found spring-pins in some.

Plainfield's are generally considered to be true to USGI specs., but that is not always the case. Trigger housing fitment can get a little sloppy. If a GI pin won't fit, you can use the proper sized drill-bit to dress the hole or insert the pin in a drill motor and dress the pin to fit. Usually, they "almost" fit and it doesn't require much adjustment. As long as the housing is properly mounted on the receiver, doesn't matter what pin you use. My advice is to modify the pin...not the legs on the housing or receiver to accept a GI pin.
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2020 at 8:11am
I'm with Floyd, they "should" be the same:
-within dimension tolerance variation
-perhaps a different type/grade of steel.

Why do you ask?
Don
Dallas Dan View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dallas Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2020 at 11:22am
I have an Iver Johnson M1 I have had for 30 years. The trigger housing broke where the mag release is and I bought a USGI housing. When I took it apart I saw it had the odd shaped aluminum housing. The pins seem a little long, but they will still be held captive within the stock and could not come out so I was just going to use them. The diameters are fine and the 'new' Postal Meter housing fits fine. I am having an occasional light hit on the primer as well. The bolt and hammer seem to have some odd wear and I am going to replace them and the trigger with USGI parts as well.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2020 at 12:33pm
PM sent Dan.

I did not want to drift your thread off the subject, but since you brought up a bolt change, I felt compelled to share some information concerning bolt-swaps with Iver Johnsons. 

Edited by floydthecat - Jun 21 2020 at 1:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply