Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"New" Plainfield M-1 Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2020 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by David Milisock David Milisock wrote:

Here are my 2 shooters M1A1 is Inland the TAC is a Quality Hardware, both are well maintained and as reliabe as any M4.

Nice, I haven't decided if I want to add a pistol grip to the Choate stock when I finally modify it for the tac rail
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2020 at 8:48am
Having carried the M2 in M1A1 configuration and having an M1A1 I can tell you the rapid fire takes practice. However in close power is better then the 5.56 NATO in the M4. 

The synthetic stock, with the grips add just a bit of weight and makes  up close rapid follow up shots a bit easier. Jury's still out on the light.

I'm waiting to get an AR in the new 6MM ARC, it's a 108 grain projectile at 2,600 FPS in a 16" barrel it's 8 lbs and in that configuration because it operates at 52,000 PSI can rapid fire without barrel damage and make 700 yard hits.

It took 80 years but they finally capitalized on the lessons from the M1 Carbine. The 30 Carbine was that far ahead of its contemporaries. 

David Milisock
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2020 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by David Milisock David Milisock wrote:

Having carried the M2 in M1A1 configuration and having an M1A1 I can tell you the rapid fire takes practice. However in close power is better then the 5.56 NATO in the M4. 

The synthetic stock, with the grips add just a bit of weight and makes  up close rapid follow up shots a bit easier. Jury's still out on the light.

I'm waiting to get an AR in the new 6MM ARC, it's a 108 grain projectile at 2,600 FPS in a 16" barrel it's 8 lbs and in that configuration because it operates at 52,000 PSI can rapid fire without barrel damage and make 700 yard hits.

It took 80 years but they finally capitalized on the lessons from the M1 Carbine. The 30 Carbine was that far ahead of its contemporaries. 

I plan on comparing the Carbine I "convert" to a TAC rifle to my current "SHTF" AR-15 setup, a BCM 14.5 pinned build with a red dot on it.

I already know with the Choate stock the Carbine fits into a non gun bag looking gym bag while the AR doesn't. I've never liked how AR "pistols" handle and figure the ATF will crack down on the "stocks" being used sooner or later....under the radar is the best way to stay out of trouble.

Out to 150 yards (the range I figure I would need a "truck rifle") the .30 Carbine should be as effective as 5.56 in a "pistol" AR 
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2020 at 12:36pm
The M1 Carbine out to 150 yards or in as close as 20 feet or the end of the muzzle will out perform any AR pistol.

BTW 5.56 performance from a short barrel with SP or HP is lacking, it requires  55 or 62 FMJ. 

The 30 Carbine like soft points for soft targets and FMJ for harder targets.
David Milisock
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2020 at 5:58pm
Nice you have the GI trigger housing.

I recently replaced a late style cast trigger housing out of a friends Plainfield. Where the hammer would strike/stop on the left side had chipped away the edge of both the TH and the cast hammer. letting the hammer bind slightly down ward. His bolt was GI and showed slight hits on the rear left edge.

Congrats
Living Free because of those that serve.....
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2020 at 7:07pm
Ok, I made the outdoor range today, another 150 rounds.

1st 75 rounds. The 5 hits in the 7 and 8 rings are the 1st 5 rounds, I start dialing and by the end of the 50 rounds PPU I'm using have it where I want. I did have 3 FTF/FTE's on the 1st 15 rounds, I changed mags for rest of this target no issues.

65 rounds this target. I knocked the elevation off so I had to double check that. Quick fix and the only issue I had was 1 FTF about 40 rounds in. This is using Aquila brand which I always seem to have 1 FTF every 100 rounds any Carbine I've used it on recently.

Lucky for me I'm out, I've got to test a new Sig P229 tomorrow and figure I'll try 100 rounds of Armscor while I'm at it. So far every Carbine I've used that on eats it up. Otherwise I might look into new extractor springs for the bolt on this one. I figure while they might not have been shot much they are 54 years old, new ones won't hur
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2020 at 4:22pm
Ok, I ran 100 rounds of the Korean surplus through the Plainfield today. It ate it up with zero issues. IMO the Korean has a little more "ommph" than the PPU and Armscor I've been using through it.

The down side, the surplus seems a tad dirtier than the PPU, it took a few more patches to clean it up.

I'll run another 100 next weekend and see what happens. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12