The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CMP M1 Carbine Match Trophy at Camp Perry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CMP M1 Carbine Match Trophy at Camp Perry
    Posted: Aug 13 2021 at 12:09pm
M1 Carbine Match Trophy
Part of the National Rifle and Pistol Matches at Camp Perry, Ohio

Andrew Hall of the Garand Collectors Association sent us a picture of the M1 Carbine Trophy sitting in the front window of the Civilian Marksmanship Program Headquarters North  located at Camp Perry near Port Clinton, Ohio.

History of the Trophy
Back in 2005, Orest Michaels, Chief Operations Officer of the CMP at the time, approached Marty Black and asked if the club would be willing to assist in putting together a Course of Fire rules and standards for a CMP Carbine Match. This was at the time when the CMP was starting to receive carbines from the US Army.

After submitting the rules, the club was asked about sponsoring the trophy. Not only did the club sponsor the trophy, our club members designed and built the trophy.

Trophy design ideas and contributions were contributed by:
Chris Albright, Marty Black, Roger Fish, Chuck Fleisleber, Dan Johnson, Mark Meyer, J.B. Powers, Larry Ruth, Chuck Schauer, Tom Spring, Mark Wegge, Ron Wellman, Jim White.

Trophy constructed by
Kelly Carte and Tom Spring

The Winchester M1 Carbine 5615498
was donated by the CMP

The Inaugural Match was held in 2006, where Larry Ruth was the Master of Ceremonies.

Club members were participating and reporting on the matches till about 2010 when the interest from club members started waning. Since the club has moved to an online format we are seeing more and more competitive shooters joining the forums.

The carbine matches are now part of shooting competitions across the country.
List of of carbine match types:

M1 Carbine Match
    M1 Carbine Match Junior
    M1 Carbine Match Women
    M1 Carbine Match Senior
    M1 Carbine Match Grand Senior
    Commercial Carbine
    Commercial Carbine High Junior
    Commercial Carbine High Senior
    Commercial Carbine High Grand Senior

Course of Fire:

40 shots at a distance of 100 yards
    15 shots slow-fire prone (first 5 shots are sighters)
    10 shots rapid-fire prone
    10 shots rapid-fire sitting
    10 shots slow fire standing

Up coming matches can be found here

We are trying to gauge interest if we have enough interested people who compete or attend the matches that would be willing to post reports.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2021 at 1:53pm
Thanks for posting that.  As a newcomer to the forum/club I was unaware of the club's involvement.
Using the CMP search engine turned up a club in my area that lists carbine in their monthly matches Smile.  The listing confirms another club I looked at does not include carbines in their CMP match.
However, there are two clubs in my area that have regular matches that are not listed on CMP's calendar.   I don't know why.   I'll have to contact them directly to find out more about their events.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2021 at 3:11pm
This morning I attended a match at the club mentioned listed in CMP's calendar.  It was fine and I did OK.  No idea how my scores compare - the results will posted in a few days. 
Here's the interesting twist.  This was an as-issued service rifle match using course A at 100 yards with SR-1 targets.
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2021 at 1:17pm
Thanks for sharing and posting this article Dan.  I was at Perry for the month of competitions and spent a few hours looking at all the trophies.  I never one thought to take any photos of them and post em here.  I had a great time helping a buddies company get up and running on commercial row.  I will be back at Perry next year.  I know a lot of folks were complaining on how few vendors and such were there but regardless, it is an event everyone should try to check out.  
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2021 at 8:38am
Update.  My scores last month put me 9 out of 11 competitors.
Prone, slow 87
Prone, rapid 62
Standing 64

Yesterday, my unofficial scores are:
Prone, slow 86
Prone, rapid 47
Standing 75

Again I was the only person with a carbine. 
I was glad to improve my off hand, while disappointed with my rapid fire score.  After reviewing the targets I'm pretty sure that was mostly because I didn't have the time to check my sight alignment as I could during slow fire.  Because we were shooting into the sun, I found that by first looking over the rear sight I could better track the front sight when looking through rear apature.  
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2022 at 10:46am
Let's bump this up.  
I went to the another club's 'CMP match' and can add some more info.
It would be better described as a CMP type event as it didn't adhere strictly to any CMP course of fire.   This explains why they don't post on the CMP calender or send the results in.  So yes they allow carbines, but its not a carbine match.

The other club is CMP affiliated, and sends scores in, but its not a carbine match either.  It's a 30 round course of fire As Issued Service Rifle Match.  Because its shot at 100 yards with SR-1 targets carbines are welcome.  Since its not a carbine match, I'm not going to post more about it in this thread.

Post Reply Post Reply