The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Owner and New Member

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da1Chief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Owner and New Member
    Posted: Oct 17 2021 at 9:38am

Hello to all,

First, I finally checked off another of my bucket list items.  I now own an IBM AO Carbine (Serial Number Manufacture Date range is around March 1944). Pictures and details will follow this initial post.  It is now the Older Brother to my new AO 1927A1 Case Hardened, I gave myself this past April as a birthday present.

I carried it to the range and have it "Zeroed In" at the 50 Yards.  At 68yrs old, I just don't want to walk 100 yards to change out targets. (Big Smile).  50 yards gives me time to slow down, think about what I did and settle back down before the next rounds go down range.

I will be asking a "Cubic Butt Ton" of questions, and before you mention it, I have been reading everything I can on the uscarbinecal30.com website.  The only thing is, the more I read the more questions that keep popping into my head. It seems that my OCD, Anal-Retentive, personality has kicked in big time.

My first goal is to take it to my gun smith and have him give it a detailed exam.

Next and this is going to be the expensive part, restore to “As Built”.  I have already found a couple of things such as the "Type 3" Barrel Band.  From what I have read it should be a "Type 2".  Also, I have the Type 4 “Selector Switch” safety and again from what I read it should be the Type 3 "Push/Detent" button.  Those two items would have been swapped out by the armory post WWII.

I have used the site to cobble together a list of IBM parts that were made and should have/could have been used in its production.  My main questions will be which type and style would have been on it. (i.e., Type 2 or Type 3 Slide, Firing Pin, Sears, and so on)

I hope and pray that I will not be too big of a PITA "Pain in the ...." with the questions I have.

Thanks to all concerned with the information I have already gotten and will close for now.

Very respectively,

Da1Chief

1971-1977 Army

1982-2002 US Navy (Retired)

DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2021 at 10:34am
Welcome aboard Chief 
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2021 at 11:40am
Welcome to the forum from another newbie.
I think you'll find this addictive because with carbine history there are usually just more questions. :)

Here's my suggestions since you have already had some range time and have an interest in returning the IBM to an earlier configuration.

0. Skip the gunsmith for now.  I'm not sure what more a smith could tell you about basic function other than headspace.

1. Document the carbine first.  That way you know what you have, and can ask specific questions.   This is much much easier than trying to guess what was most likely in the gun when it was produced.

a. Of the books I bought, the one I found most helpful to begin with is Craig Riesch's, US M1 Carbine Wartime Production.   Knowledgeable club members have compiled corrections which you can note in the margins.  It's not the last word or the most complete but easiest in terms of clarity and oraganization that is pretty free of inauthentic material.

b. Start filling out a Data Sheet. 
Doing this was a good way to learn the parts and begin to recognize differnces.  You may get stuck when it comes to parts inside the bolt and trigger housing.
If you don't feel comfortable taking these apart, don't.  Bring these to a gunsmith with the tools, or perhaps better, meet up with another carbine enthusiast.  (I like taking apart mechanical stuff so I bought the tool.)   With the bolt apart, it probably could use a cleaning anyway. 

c. There are some really nice "Featured Carbine" under "Newsworthy Items"  that I found helpful.

2. Better knowing what you have, you can now investigate whether the parts on the carbine were likely from original manufacture or swapped in at a later date.  For this Larry Ruth's War Baby! is a great resource.  In the last chapter on each prime manufacturer is a breakdown of the parts used by that manufacturer and how they were marked.  This is followed by a list of subcontractors and a list of parts transferred from other manufacturers.  Sure there is always some information that has come to light since publication, but this is baseline.  In addition there's quite a bit of manufacturing history. 

3. Then you can decide from a position of knowledge what you want to do, if anything, in terms of changing parts and preservation.  While its always exciting to find something historic exactly as it was originally made, often its also interesting to see how an item was used and changed.  
 Post Reply Post Reply