Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Early Winchester Joins Hammer’s Family

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2021 at 10:39am
Not as rare as Riesch is implying.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2021 at 10:50am
The in-between wars years were devastating for Winchester. That period was when the original Winchester company was sold and as mentioned they simply weren't able to upgrade their equipment because of their financial situation.

OP, just my opinion and maybe some others; you are going into collecting a bit like putting your cart before the horse. I think you need to take a step back and first enjoy what you have and second learn to stand on your own two collecting feet. Learning from others is fine at first, but at some point you need to cut the teethers and figure out most things on your own. Just trying to help.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2021 at 10:52am
As far as the J on the bottom of the trigger housing goes, it is common for either a letter or number to be marked in that location on Winchester housings, imagine just some type of random inspection marking that they used.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
HammerGrunt View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2021 at 11:28am
As you all know, I appreciate all the education information everyone provides. 

I spent years of my life learning about Mauser’s, Mosins, Enfields, and other Bolt Action military surplus rifles, and just never collected carbines. What’s ironic is, I wasn’t planning on getting into carbines because I had the one that my grandfather gave me 40 years ago in my mind that one represented the whole family Of M1 carbines very well :-) 

I had sold off most of my MilSurp collection and only kept about 25 of the most rare and collectible types of models and I moved  them up to my sons house in Nashville To pass on to my grandsons in a few years.

But then a Veteran who had been in my Marine Special Operations Capable Rifle Company 30 years ago as one of my young Marines that I was leading, gave me the Inland 270 carbine just in appreciation of my leadership of him And his Marine brothers.

That’s when I started on weekends and evenings trying to find out information about this very early 270 inland and was amazed at its very special rarity. 

Since I still work full-time for the state of Florida and until I retire retire I don’t have the time to do a lot of in-depth research, so I’m building a very nice and historic “Cart” and I am using some of the best horses in the M1 carbine collecting stable. Like this CCC Forum and all the information and knowledge that I can read here combined with individuals like Marcus Rust, Dan Pinto, Ken Otero, Bill Moore, Mark Nevins, Wayne in MO, Larry Ruth, Marty Black, and SO many others. 

So until I retire retire I want to try to insure I’m collecting the most accurate complete and original “cart fillers” when I find them. 
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2021 at 3:13pm
Finally connected with the awesome Ken O in Tampa and he kindly took my bolt apart so I could take Pics of its parts. Ken educated me on the early Winchester machining / tooling marks. Like the polished portions on the Sear and Trigger.

Only has Type 1 Hammer strikes on TH wall.

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2021 at 3:15pm

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2021 at 3:32pm
And I'd like to think that some Patriotic worker at Winchester's production plant stamped this  V  for Victory on the bottom of the Receiver in early 1943 when it was made :-)

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2022 at 2:02pm
Just a quick refresh on this posting since another forum member posted pics of his very similar early Winchester that’s only about 4000 serial numbers after this one.
Taraw1943 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taraw1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2022 at 3:01pm
the "J" on your housing is an Inspectors stamp.   Usually, not always, there will be letters or numbers in that location on Winchesters only.  Winchester inspectors of parts.  I have seen X, 3, 7, C, etc.  even 10.
I really like carbines
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12