Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Authenticity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaybird65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Authenticity
    Posted: Feb 08 2022 at 7:33pm
I'm a new member and have learned a lot from you fellow members and I am very grateful as you have saved me much time and money. Especially money. What I have discovered as there are many sellers who either don't know what they are selling and therefore unintentionally misrepresent the rifle or just plain think they can pull a "fast one". This is a post from a Gun Broker auction and I'm trying to determine if the AA in the serial number represents the Aniston Arsenal and if it is a re-armored rifle. Other features also make me question whether there is anything collectable here. The seller claims it is collectable. I'm not trying to be a trouble maker, just looking for facts. 
JCB
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2022 at 7:44pm
If you are looking for a GI carbine, that ain't it! That is a commercial carbine. And I'm pretty sure its NOT C&R eligible. You might note that he doesn't mention the maker. Red flags all over the place on this one!
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Jaybird65 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaybird65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2022 at 8:08pm
Thanks, you confirmed my suspicions. I have four other M1 carbines and I'm doing the data sheets on them to find out just how authentic mine are. I know that I will have a few mixed parts, but I also know I don't have any weird rifles like this. 
JCB
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2022 at 11:27pm
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2022 at 11:32pm
I don't get the impression he's trying to pass it off as a USGI M1 Carbine, he's just using typical sales pitch type description. Judging from the serial number, it's an Iver Johnson M1 Carbine (My IJ has a AA prefix in the serial number). One area in which the description is blatantly wrong is in the caliber. If you look at the muzzle in photo 25, it's pretty obvious that isn't a .30 caliber hole in the barrel. It's probably chambered in 5.7mm Johnson/.22 Spitfire.
Jaybird65 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaybird65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2022 at 11:37am
Question to seller:
who manufactured this M1 carbine? I don't see any name on the receiver. I don't see anything here that would be considered collectable. I also don't think this would qualify as C&R.

Seller's response:

Hello! Thanks for reaching out. There is no definitive manufacture stamp seen anywhere on this firearm. It could be any of those manufacturers you listed. I’m assuming, due to research, this may have been used in the war; and because of that, the desire was not to put any affiliate names. If you have any further questions,
JCB
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2022 at 12:13pm
Hmm, good to know that the seller did his research!LOL
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2022 at 12:53pm
Thanks for posting this.

Hello! Thanks for reaching out. There is no definitive manufacture stamp seen anywhere on this firearm. It could be any of those manufacturers you listed. I’m assuming, due to research, this may have been used in the war; and because of that, the desire was not to put any affiliate names. If you have any further questions,
The combination of popular phrases is fascinating (underlined).  The first from American business culture is inappropriately applied. The last one underline is typical of off shore retail and call service industry. 

Did you mention any manufactures in your query?
  If not, then that just adds to appearance the seller has learned his/her language from reading scripts.  

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2022 at 2:20pm
I can’t see IJ letting a 30 caliber marked as such get out the door with a Johnson barrel on it, but anything is possible I suppose. If it really was a Johnson, it would likely be bidding higher than it is now. There is somewhat of a following for the Spitfire.

PS….I asked the seller to stick a 30 caliber bullet in the muzzle just out of curiosity. Allow me to add to the suspense…..he told me it looked like a 25-auto and did not have a 30 caliber bullet to compare it to. I ain’t makin’ this up!
 Post Reply Post Reply