The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Type III Band removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcarr15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Type III Band removal
    Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 7:16pm
Good evening 
I am a rookie carbine owner and haven’t had any experience with military surplus rifles. The bulk of my firearms experience has been with shotguns and lever action .22 rifles.  I just acquired two import carbines after having an interest in them for severql years. One is a Quality Hardware and the other is a National Postal Meter. Both appear to have been rebuilt with later sights and bayonet lug barrel bands. Bores look great on both and plan to use them at my local range and plinking around our property.
In attempting to field strip the Quality Hardware I cannot get the barrel band off and do not want to force it, resulting in damage to the surrounding areas.
I also observed the handguards on both are “loose” to some degree even with the barrel band fully snug. Is this typical?
I have purchased several books from the list on main site and watched multiple videos to get familiar with these but wanted to get some practical tips on removing the stubborn barrel band to start my tear down and inspection to thoroughly clean everything before attempting to shoot it.
I’ll include some photos in post to follow.
Thanks
Justin 

jcarr15 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcarr15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 7:22pm
jcarr15 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcarr15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 7:23pm
jcarr15 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcarr15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 7:24pm
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 7:47pm
When you say can’t get it off….elaborate. With the screw loosened it won’t slide up? You do realize the front sight has to be pulled to completely remove the band? If it won’t slide up, judicious use of a plastic mallet or wooden dowel should gain movement. Also….you do know the band spring nose must be depressed?

There are some tricks to tighten lose guards, but lets get the bands off first. 
jcarr15 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcarr15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 9:18pm
I am having trouble sliding the band forward after fully loosening the screw, to allow removal of the handguard and lift barrel/receiver out of the stock. Not wanting to remove the barrel band completely. Even with the spring depressed the band won’t budge by hand. 
The barrel band screw on this one can be completely removed despite what I have read about these being staked and not allowing this.
Is the best place to focus impact on back of the bayonet lug with a softer material like a wood dowel and mallet?

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 9:33pm
I have a couple carbines with extremely tight type 3 bands. What I do is hook the back of the bayonet lug against the wooden edge of my workbench and pull back with one hand while keeping the band spring depressed using a small dowel in the other hand. All you need to do is get it started over the band spring then you can use a wood block against the lug and tap it forward.
jcarr15 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcarr15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

I have a couple carbines with extremely tight type 3 bands. What I do is hook the back of the bayonet lug against the wooden edge of my workbench and pull back with one hand while keeping the band spring depressed using a small dowel in the other hand. All you need to do is get it started over the band spring then you can use a wood block against the lug and tap it forward.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll give this a try!
john843 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john843 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 10:25pm
jcarr, look's like you might have some rust adhesion between the barrel and the band. It may not hurt to spray a little WD-40 between the band and barrel (making sure it runs toward the sight and not back onto the wood) and let it sit for a while before trying floydthecat's suggestion. When I initially disassembled the second carbine I bought, I had to tap the band loose due to the same issue.

John
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 10:29pm
Just my method,
Oil or grease the barrel foward of the band. Also get some oil to run down the barrel so it gets inside the band. I oil and grease like this as a common practice to limit potential scratches on the barrel.
After loosening the screw, I pinch a screwdriver inside above the screw to keep the band spread open. Right hand holding a nylon punch presses in the spring, at same time left hand pushes hand guard forward. 

The front end of a bayo band has inner pads in it that press against the barrel. They can be stubborn on the barrels that have heavy mill ridges. You'll get it, Oil is your friend...... So is a block of wood Wink

Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
jcarr15 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcarr15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2022 at 10:26pm
Good Evening Guys
I am back with an update. After attempting some of the suggested methods of getting the barrel band loose, I took the rifle to a gunsmith at my local range for some assistance. After a quick visual inspection he said the barrel appears to have a bulge, possibly indicating a stuck round at some point. At this point I plan to go back to the company I purchased it from to see what they can do for me and if they are unable/unwilling to work with me, I may be installing a different barrel to safely be able to shoot it.
I believe the gunsmith said the charge would be $100+ to install a replacement barrel. What should I expect to pay for an original barrel?
Thanks
Justin 

35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2022 at 10:44pm
SARCO Inc. has replacement barrels for $160, but they've been out of stock forever. The CMP has Criterion barrels for $230, or if you just like to pay more, Fulton Armory has the same barrel for $330.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2022 at 8:39am
Can you see the bulge with a bore light? Likely will appear as a ring in the bore.
Used USGI barrels have jumped in price (along with everything else), if you're just interested in a good shooter the Criterion barrel is the way to go and will be the lowest cost. As 35 says I think CMP has the best price on them.
jcarr15 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcarr15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2022 at 9:43am
yes he showed me the ring that appears with the light. He wasn’t certain how close it was to the gas port.
I am open to the idea of a new barrel but would be willing to pay a little more for a period replacement barrel. 
I just received my Expert Grade M1 from the CMP with the Criterion barrel. Have not had it out yet but all reviews on the M1 Garand’s with these new barrels is very positive.
Other than originality is there any negatives to going with the new CMP barrel?

David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2022 at 9:02am
I do not own a CMP barrel but shot with 2 guys who had them installed on their shooters. Their rifles were as good as any other M1 Carbine.

David Milisock
 Post Reply Post Reply