The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hello Everyone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CavemanMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello Everyone
    Posted: Feb 15 2022 at 10:09am
Hello! 

I'm new here and was referred to this group by painter777 when he saw a post I made on Reddit about my new carbine I just got last week. I've spent this week tearing her down and filling out the data sheet. I think I have a pretty interesting find on mine. Almost all parts of my gun are stamped Saginaw S'G' except for the mag release which is stamped IP-W and the barrel which is stamped Saginaw S.G. DIV. General Motors. I got the gun from the estate of a veteran who had passed away. I was told it was his service rifle that he brought home from the war (he served in the pacific). They were also selling a 1911A1 that appeared to be in all original condition as well.

I'm hoping that I've got a pretty unique all original gun as the majority of the parts were made in Grand Rapids, but when their contract expired the parts were sent to Saginaw where they were assembled with an S.G. barrel. The SN also fits a Saginaw S.G. issue at 3,612,145. 

Let me know what you think as I'm very new to military collecting, but I've had a passion for WW2 my whole life! I'll attach the data sheets as well as relevant pictures!

Oh and one last thing. It appears the veteran tried to scratch some kind of number into the sling cut. I see 50 530295 any ideas on what it could be?

Seth
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2022 at 11:04am
There are lots of knowledgeable folks on here that will be able to tell you a lot about your Saginaw. Welcome to the Forum! 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2022 at 12:47pm
Welcome to the forum, good looking S'G'. The club is collecting info on Saginaw carbines in your serial range so please fill out the requested information in the below link.

Additionally, forum member tenOCEE has a registry for Grand Rapids serial numbers, encourage you to add your serial to his link below.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2022 at 1:00pm
There are some interesting parts on that rifle. What's up with the right side receiver rail lug - picture 9 - looks like it's been filed or ?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2022 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

There are some interesting parts on that rifle. What's up with the right side receiver rail lug - picture 9 - looks like it's been filed or ?

It does look odd doesn't it?

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2022 at 1:10pm
Could a OOBD have gouged the right rail-lug that badly….maybe several? Pretty obvious something was going on with the rear sight too.

I know it sounds like we might be trashing the OP’s carbine. Not at all. Sometimes we just bring anomalies up wondering how they got that way. 
CavemanMagoo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CavemanMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2022 at 1:44pm
No worries! I knew when I got it that it wasn't a pristine example of an all original gun. The rear sight has it's issues, and that picture is after I cleaned it up a TON. Every gun has its own story to tell :). Interesting you guys picked up on that! I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when disassembling.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2022 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Could a OOBD have gouged the right rail-lug that badly….maybe several? 

What I meant to say was, could someone have cleaned-up a chip or damage on that lug. It sure looks machined.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2022 at 1:59pm
CM, could you provide additional photos of the right receiver bolt lug recess from the front? Maybe also a top view of the trigger housing.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2022 at 12:29pm
Hello Magoo,
Glad you found us.

I have a few carbines that show that same wear on the back of the right lug locking shoulder, leaving a raised lip. A better picture of yours might help.
I have a pic of 1 showing the wear pattern on the bolt and shoulder lug. This is on a WRA sn 1,030,621.

See the Lip near the top edge? Maybe yours was the same and someone dressed it up with a file (?).
I thought about doing that to this one, but left it alone because I dont shoot it.

Charlie-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CavemanMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2022 at 1:41pm
Hi Painter!

Good to hear from you again.

I did my best to take some pictures from different angles. I just got her put back together after 3 days of tearing it down, cleaning, documenting, and putting it back together so I'd like to keep it in one piece for a little bit :).

It definitely shows some wear. The lip is pretty smooth to run my finger over. It also has taken the original finish off pretty uniformly so I would assume it was intentional. Here's the photos so you can get a better idea!

Sorry to keep using imgur. The photo sizes are too big.

Seth
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2022 at 2:47pm
Hey Magoo,
Sure is a nice looking carbine. Especially for a 1st. My 1st S'G' had a repro/Fake Flip sight. About a year ago I found a real one for it. Was so tired of looking for it, I didn't care what I paid. You'll find out your stock has a lot of value.

Come spring maybe you can come by and we'll hit my local club.
I'll check back in, I'm tuning the snowblower for the 8-12" coming tomorrow.
So ready for Spring !!

Thx for the follow up and joining, Thumbs Up

Charlie-P777
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2022 at 6:34pm
@Magoo,
Who said-

"It appears the veteran tried to scratch some kind of number into the sling cut. 
I see 50 530295 any ideas on what it could be? "

I believe the first 0  has a diagonal strike thru it, so not a letter o but a number Zero.
It can matter on US Service numbers.
I think you've got a Service Number scratched in the slingwell.... being 50,530,295 (I added the commas). They were assigned serial number blocks. IE: @ 40,000,000 - 49,999,999 was a block for Enlisted Special Duty. 
I'm pretty sure @ 50,000,000 it represents those Drafted in to the US Army and Air Force.
Drafting continued until about late 1947 or early 1948 when it was discontinued. Then was renewed by Congress under the Reserve Forces Act in 52, 55, 59 and 63....(All a rough guesstimate). 

Below is a link you have to open then scroll down for the next link to click on for charts on how US Service Numbers were formatted.

Use this Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_number Once open scroll down about 3/4s to: United States, then click on Main Article: United States armed forces for the chart I'm talking about. Scroll down to the 50,000,000 to 59,999,999 million block.

See if you can get the name of the Veteran, Look for a Obit, maybe it will have his unit number in it.
By having his name, and any personal info like where he lived you may be able to dig up some of his service records. 

I've done this with a number of Veteran owned carbines I picked up. One I took in to service for a friend and tracked the Social Security Number that was engraved on the Op Slide arm. I ended up buying it later when he got in to black rifles. I got help from The Mighty Eighth Air Force Research in Savanah, Georgia.... at a cost. Here is a link to some of the info I put together on that retired Lt. Col: https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=49775 ;

But there are other ways to research them if your willing to dig. Having a file on a Vet whose gun you now own just adds to the history IMO. I have others I was able to track. I'd help you if you can get more info about the Vet.

Charlie-P777
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CavemanMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2022 at 9:05pm
Hey Charlie!

Thanks for the response. I appreciate the kind words on the gun. I figured if I only get one chance to own a carbine might as well make it a nice one that has some meaning to me! I just couldn’t pass up on it when i saw it. I know it is t flawless, but I love seeing the flaws in it. I think it just gives it character.

I messaged to see if I could get more information about the veteran. Hopefully I hear back soon!b I’ll let you know if I get anything interesting.

I’d be happy to go shooting sometime this summer although I’ll have to find some ammo haha haven’t gotten around to that yet!

Seth
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2022 at 9:05pm
Thanks Charlie. I was going to guess it might have been a service number but it would have only been a guess.  My dad's only had 6 digits of course.  Followed those links and it fits right in with his first enlistment. 

Seth, I'm starting to see more .30 carbine at on-line stores if your local stores don't have.  Price seems to be easing a bit as well.  It's not back to 2019 prices, and I wouldn't hold my breath for that with the costs of brass, inflation, etc. 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2022 at 11:02pm
@Magoo,
If you stop in, the Ammo is on me. Range is North of me, just 5 miles around a country block. I'm about 2+ miles from the 96 exit. I could steer you here from 69 going South on Woodbury road (West of 52). Maybe on one of your trips to Kalamazoo.

Now you need a sling..... Beware of Fake C tips offered as real. To be safe a good post WWII D tip will do just fine. Thinking now.... Did you ID the Oiler tube?

@Matt,
I was changing the carb on my snowblower thinking about that 8 digit number. Came in for a coffee and a quick search found that Service Number Chart. I learned from it myself, so glad it helped.

Later,
Charlie-P777
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2022 at 9:04am
CM, thanks for posting those extra pics of your bolt lug recess. I took one of the pictures and zoomed in. Looks like whoever did that mod started out lower, there's a score mark from a blade, then moved higher to notch in and make the angle cut. I do wonder what prompted that modification... from what I can see your left lug shoulder is OK. Usually that's what gets damaged from an OOB/bolt failure. Maybe an attempt to fix a feeding/cycling problem?
I'm just curious as I haven't seen anything like that before.

Post Reply Post Reply