The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alarming Observation?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alarming Observation?
    Posted: Mar 20 2022 at 5:22pm
I finished a round of plinking, ejected the magazine then ejected the live round outa the chamber.  (Shooting off-the-shelf Sellier & Bellot ammo, average velocity 2049f/s)  On inspection of the ejected live round I noticed a tiny dent dead center in the primer.  I presume that was done by the firing pin.  Is this something to worry about and what causes that?  Is 2049f/s a little hot?

Thanks in advance
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2022 at 5:32pm
Perfectly normal. The free floating firing pin on a carbine always hits the primer when the bolt closes. I doesn't hit hard enough to actuate the primer. They all do it. Nothing to worry about.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2022 at 5:39pm
Thanks, Smokpole.  I was pondering the possibility of ramming a 30 round magazine into the port, chamber the 1st round, pull the trigger and suddenly al hell would break loose!
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2022 at 5:43pm
Nope! Extremely unlikely that it would go full auto on you. That would only happen if the firing pin somehow got jammed in the forward position. As long as the firing pin is loose, it doesn't have enough momentum to strike the primer hard enough to fire.

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2022 at 5:46pm
I have never fired any S&B 30-carbine, but if they load it like they do the SB9A 9mm….it has to be good stuff. It’s right up their with military grade M1152 in terms of MV. Good stuff. Yes, hand-cycling can slightly dimple a primer. That’s why rifle primers are specified, a little harder.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2022 at 5:34am
I need to mention that slam-fires are real and when one personally experiences a slam-fire, it’s a revelation. I had one in a Remington 742 30-06 and happened to have the rifle pointed down-range. You will become anal about cleaning and inspecting bolt internals and firing pins as well as sticking to the hardest primers the action will fire if reloading. Creates a mind-set that the weapon might fire anytime the bolt is dropped on a live round….and it might.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2022 at 7:47pm
That is why it is so important to make sure all primers are seated to the proper depth. MOST slam fires are caused by high primers being set off by a closing bolt hitting a high primer and not by a firing pin problem. Broken firing pins can also cause slam fires, but that is rare.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2022 at 1:31am
Factory ammo. I recovered the brass and it had a very light strike. Think is was a very soft (defective) primer.
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2022 at 8:31am
I routinely ream every primer hole in my possession b/c the primer holes are stamped, not drilled therefore Inconsistent depth from case to case. Once while loading some brand new outa the bag Winchester brass I observed in each and every round the primer protruded outa the pilot hole.
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2022 at 10:39am
RE: Sellier & Bellot 30 cal rounds.  It is evident S&B crimps the primer during insertion into pocket.  I learned this when reaming the S&B primer pockets; if I didn't ease the reamer into the pocket VERY,VERY slowly the reamer cutters would grab into the brass.  Many cuss words later I finally freed the reamer teeth from the brass.  After reaming the pockets to SAAMI specs. and comparing primer loaded brass of reamed and non-reamed S&B brass it is obvious the S&B pockets are shallower than SAAMI.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2022 at 10:49am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

I have never fired any S&B 30-carbine, but if they load it like they do the SB9A 9mm….it has to be good stuff. It’s right up their with military grade M1152 in terms of MV. Good stuff. Yes, hand-cycling can slightly dimple a primer. That’s why rifle primers are specified, a little harder.

I love S&B. I had 2 cases of it from a PSA sale years ago and all my Carbines loved it. I wish I could find more that same price Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply