Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Standard Products - Austrian Gendarmerie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Timothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Standard Products - Austrian Gendarmerie
    Posted: Apr 19 2022 at 8:33pm

Here is my early 1944 Standard Products 2150674, which spent some time with the Tirolian Gendarmerie before returning to the US; the previous owner purchased it from CMP in 2009. 

The only evidence of its Austrian heritage are L.G.K.T 0691 stamped on the trigger group and the rather simple leather sling: no buckles, loop or manufacturers stamp. The sling has two sets of inked initials JG and JM at different locations. Guess JG and JM carried the carbine at different times in Tirol. Based on my reading (Occupation Carbines) I also think the Austrians were the ones who sanded off most of the crossed cannon stamp. In the right light you can discern the faint dark impression of cartouche remnants and certainly the relatively coarse sandpaper scratches on the right side of the stock.

Barrel is an 12-43 Underwood, and many of components have expected Standard Products-related markings. The Augusta Armory rebuild is where I am guessing the following changes were made: Type 2 Hemphill rear sight, Type 5 Inland slide, a type 4 safety, type 3 IBM front sight, and Type 3 barrel band. I haven’t taken apart the bolt. The magazine is circle IS, but no pictures as it is currently in political exile with my brother in another state (it has the California-deemed original sin of having too much capacity). The stock and handguard were made by H&B.

It did have a loose rear site; after getting input from some of you on an earlier post it is now locked in again. I took advantage of the sight removal to snap a photo of the ‘STD. PRO.’ stamp briefly seeing daylight again.

It is a joy to shoot and am glad to be its current caregiver. I submitted the data sheet for this carbine earlier this year; Thoughts and observations from you more experienced types welcome.

T R
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2022 at 2:07am
Tim

Tirol didn't always add the serial number or part thereof to any of the parts. Since your bolt doesn't have any numbers on top their may not be any other parts that have them. It's worth a look as sometimes the armorers at CMP had to replace parts often by swapping parts with other returns. Particularly with the second shipment from Austria, that arrived at CMP in 2013 or 2014. The first shipment arrived in late 2008, was processed in the first half of 2009, with sales starting Fall 2009.

The places to look are:

-the rear of the trigger housing lugs
-inside the stock sling well
-under the handguard
-midway on the outside of the slide arm

The presence or lack of numbers on the rear of the LGKT trigger housing is a clear indication as to what Tirol did with yours. No numbers there means there should be no numbers on any of the parts above. Numbers there, there should be numbers on the parts listed above and all numbers should match parts or all of the serial number.

The Austrians took really good care of their carbines. But all had been thru WWII prior. Many of their carbines were left by U.S. forces departing at the end of the occupation in 1955. Many more were shipped in as military assistance. Which may be an explanation for the Augusta Arsenal rebuild markings.

Jim
Dirty30Carbine View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2022 at 9:49pm
I’ve got a Bavaria Border Police that’s all but 3 parts original, the stock, handguard, and safety have been replaced. The last 4 of the S/N is stamped on the lugs of the trigger housing and side of the op rod. After Bavaria it went to OberoOsterreich (Upper Austria)
Timothy View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Timothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2022 at 11:29pm
Good to know Jim. I’ll strip it early next week and look for anything in the locations you mention for marks not noticed when I worked on the data sheet.
T R
Timothy View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2022 at 7:58pm
Jim
Finally had a chance to strip it today for cleaning and took a look at the additional potential marking locations you suggested:

-the rear of the trigger housing lugs: no marks
-inside the stock sling well: only the original S-HB
-under the handguard: only the original S-HB
-midway on the outside of the slide arm: clean

So the only indicators of Austrian history are the leather sling and the LGKT S/N on the bottom of the trigger housing.
T R
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2022 at 10:19am
That stock has a nice grain to itSmile
Timothy View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2022 at 8:53pm
Thanks Dan. 
The furniture maker part of me loves the curly walnut figure on this stock. And it is getting better with time:
When I  received the carbine it was clear that some more recent owner (not the Austrians or the CMP) had applied a dyed wood paste wax on the gun (maybe Briwax or similar) and didn't do a good job of it. The stock was a bit sticky to the touch, and the wax was also on some of the metal parts (I dug a small glob of it out of the peep sight hole!). 

Because I figured I wasn’t going to lose anything of an historical nature in doing so, I wiped down the stock and handguard with denatured alcohol to clean off the wax and grime.

Since then, after a range session when its time for a cleaning, I also rub the wood down with linseed oil the way my farther had me do as a teenager on his deer rifle…..lots of elbow grease and friction heat from my palm. Slowly that grain is getting deeper and richer.
Cheers
Tim
T R
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 12:12am
Tim

As you may have seen on the web page devoted to the carbines used by the gendarmerie in Tyrol, many of their carbines they didn't place part of the serial number or any other markings on any of the various parts like others did. So yours is consistent with the LGKT.

Nice carbine bub. Thanks for sharing everything and all the info.

Jim
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 4:27pm
When I magnify the stock picture up to ~500%,
It appears you can see a sanding line arc up to the pistol grip area: above the upper ink.
In the Circled ink, it may be what's left of the original Stan Pro CC stamp.
Nice example of a Stan Pro with added history.
Appreciate you sharing it.

Cheers,
Charlie-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
chipins View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chipins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 6:23pm
The Bavarian carbines are my second favorite niche in the carbine world.  One of my favorite carbines I have is an Underwood Bavarian Rural Police that has all of its original parts  and retained all of the Bavarian markings and numbered parts. Nice Standard OP, another favorite of mine,  Standard Products, I live about 45 minutes south of the old SP plant. 
Dirty30Carbine View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 6:29pm
I bet that’s a Nice Underwood if it’s the one I’m thinking of 😉. I love Bavarian’s and are my second favorite Niche as well. 

Post Reply Post Reply