Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement stock???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement stock???
    Posted: May 04 2022 at 5:15pm
Hello all!!!
I lucked into a nice M1 stock and handguard at a gun show a few weeks ago. It appears to be walnut and is in very good shape. Nice somewhat matching finish that appears to be linseed oil. It came with used metal hardware. It does have some dents, etc but I would say very good to excellent! Other than a small capital W in the sling well on the left side of the stock, it is unmarked. It appears to me to be a Type IV stock with the M2 cut out according to the *Riesch book, US Carbines, Wartime Production. My understanding is that replacement stocks were marked just like stocks to be initially installed on a complete carbine with the Winchester W as I’ve mentioned above but none of the other normal stock markings such as the inspector’s, P proof or crossed cannon cartouches as they were not yet part of a complete carbine at the time. I understand that Winchester also made about 17,000 M2 carbines before the war’s end. The handguard is the Type II according to the Riesch book, and is also unmarked except for what might be a capital R that is partially visable under the left outermost edge. 
My question is this: is it what would be called a replacement stock made at the same time as the stocks that were actually used on complete carbines but just not actually installed at the time but kept in reserve for use as replacements? Or did Winchester also make them after the war. Many thanks!!!!
Bear42 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 4:42pm
no one???
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 5:05pm
Would like to see some pictures. 
To answer your question "is it what would be called a replacement stock made at the same time as the stocks that were actually used on complete carbines but just not actually installed at the time but kept in reserve for use as replacements?"  Yes

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Bear42 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 6:01pm
Thank you. I will try to figure out the photo posting but it may be a day or so. Please stay tuned!
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 6:04pm
A Type IV stock is just like a Type III with the biggest difference being the IV has the longer 4.15" barrel channel (What I prefer to call a Late type III Stock).
These type IV looked very much like the normal Type III Low Wood stocks, but could have the M2 cut. They also had a thicker right rail and the extra support cut/ledge under the recoil plate.
WRA used the both the Type IV and converted Type III's to build their M2's on.

Sub contract stock suppliers sent a certain amount of extra stocks to the Prime makers they were supplying. Say Marlin sent Underwood 100 stocks, they'd also ship x amount as extras for replacement, with each shipment. Other stock Subs did the same.

I'm not aware of WRA providing stocks to anyone else, unless they might have been requested by another Prime or Sub. I haven't seen any record of this, but doesn't mean it didn't occur.

Does your stock have a 'Pot belly' profile?
When you say Capitol W,
Is there a chance your looking at a Serif M ?

Here is a example of a Marlin made replacement stock often thought to be a Winchester stock.
Some have the small bomb stamp, others aren't visible:

Profile - top WRA Type III with added M2 cut, short channel
Bottom - Marlin made with Serif M and Bomb, M2 cut and longer 4.15" barrel channel

Sling well marking on the bottom stock- M and Bomb. This was made as a replacement stock:

Extra Support for recoil plate on M stock:

Here is some extra info on stocks:

Sorry if I misunderstood your question.
Hope this helps some......... 

Charlie-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply