Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mixmaster in VV good condition, I think šŸ§

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJC1156 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mixmaster in VV good condition, I think šŸ§
    Posted: Dec 14 2022 at 9:39pm
Hello

I have a Korean War Era M1 carbine that I inherited from my father. Iā€™m trying to see if itā€™s valuable or not. My dad purchased it at a surplus store in the early 60s. Itā€™s kind of a weird rifle, but the condition is likely very good++.

I had an FFL dealer come by my home and he confirmed it was an IBM receiver, but wasnā€™t able to find a stamp on the barrel at the time, and thought the stock was in too good of shape to be original. He said it was likely only worth $300 to him. After he left, I broke it down and found the following. 

The receiver is manufactured by IBM. The barrel is a Springfield stamped S.A. 2ā€“52 and stock is an Inland, stamped OI inside the hand guard. The oiler has an IS stamped on the end. The sling is near perfect and snaps are made by United Carr. Lastly, I took off the butt-plate and found a marking that originally looked like just a scratch in the wood, but with a magnifying glass it looks like a CC stamped in the wood, but it wasnā€™t struck well and one of the Cā€™s is like a half of a C.

I am interested in knowing more about this rifle, and know those of you on this site are my best shot. Iā€™ve attached some photographs to help. 

Does this look like a legit M1? Your help is greatly appreciated. 

Lastly, it is somewhat addictive to start and continue looking for stamps of identification. I get it!! šŸ‘

Ooops! I donā€™t see how to add my photographs. Iā€™ll check back in tomorrow and post them. Thanksā€¦

Edited by MJC1156 - Dec 14 2022 at 9:56pm
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2022 at 10:03pm
Welcome to the forum, sounds like you may have a typical post war rebuild, looking forward to seeing some pictures. Tips on how to post pictures can be found in the link below.

Originally posted by MJC1156 MJC1156 wrote:

I had an FFL dealer come by my home and he confirmed it was an IBM receiver, but wasnā€™t able to find a stamp on the barrel at the time, and thought the stock was in too good of shape to be original. He said it was likely only worth $300 to him. 

It's only worth $300 to that FFL so he can make a $1000 profit when he sells it to someone!

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2022 at 10:13pm
+1 outside of the rare exception shooter grade are going for $1100-1400 most of the time. That was a lowball offer. Welcome, and we'll be happy to help you sort out what you have. Replacement barrels aren't a bad thing if you plan on shooting it (i.e. it's better than a worn out barrel if that's why it was replaced)
MJC1156 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJC1156 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2022 at 10:32pm
Thanks for your response. I think itā€™s all original. Iā€™m 66 years old and remember my dad having it as a kid. He liked guns, but really didnā€™t shoot them much. I donā€™t think more than 100 rounds have ever been fired from this rifle. Thereā€™s still a fair amount of cosmoline in the receiver and Iā€™m thinking the barrel is in good shape. Iā€™ll post those photos tomorrow and thanks for get back with me. Also, thanks for your service! 
MJC1156 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJC1156 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2022 at 10:33pm
thank you!
MJC1156 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJC1156 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2022 at 12:46pm
Hello, I posted several photos in my File Manager and uploaded each one. I don't see them in the original post, but realize they may need to be reviewed first by Admin. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks again... Mike

Edited by W5USMC - Dec 15 2022 at 6:12pm
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2022 at 1:34pm

Hello, I posted several photos in my File Manager and uploaded each one. I don't see them in the original post, but realize they may need to be reviewed first by Admin. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks again... Mike

My guess is the time to edit your original post may have expired.
If you can still edit your post above, great, if not, start a new one.
Select a location in your post and click it.
The select the image icon which will open the Image properties window like the one below. 
Your previously uploaded files are in the left hand box. The steps First, and Second, are skipped since the file is already loaded.
Select a photo file from the box on the left and the full url with the image name should show in the top right box.
You can click preview to see the image.
Then OK to insert the image into the post.

If if it doesn't show in preview, then there may be a naming rule that has been violated.  I accidently did a couple of those. (Some sympbols are not usable in the file name.)
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2022 at 2:05pm

Mike, yes you got the photos uploaded to your file manager, it looks like some of them are pretty large, give me a couple hours and I will see if I can get them posted.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
MJC1156 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJC1156 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2022 at 5:33pm
Hello, I reposted them as 400x400 pixel .jpeg's. I looked online and it suggested this as the size to use. Let me know if this is correct. If not, I'm happy to edit them myself. Please don't trouble yourself if there is more i can do. Thanks... 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2022 at 6:25pm
Mike, your pictures are posted above, you are managing to get the pictures uploaded to your file manager but are not completing the action to get them into your post (Matt_X's post above shows how to complete the picture posting process). 
In the future when resizing pictures, I suggest that you use "Paint" resize the horizontal pixels to 720, maintain aspect ratio and the vertical will adjust accordingly. When you change both horizontal and vertical to the same size the picture will be distorted. Please don't delete pictures from your file manager. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
MJC1156 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJC1156 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2022 at 7:00pm
 W5USMC, thank you for your guidance. Iā€™ll follow it going forward. Take careā€¦ Mike
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2022 at 9:19pm
Mike, as to your question "Does this look like a legit M1? "
It does. From what I can see you have a nicely refinished "mixmaster" with the typical arsenal rebuild parts upgrades. Those upgrades usually make the rifle better for shooting/usability. I don't see any rare or unusual parts but for markings and such we'd need close up pictures.
MJC1156 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJC1156 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2022 at 7:18am
Thanks for the feedback. A couple of questions back to you if you donā€™t mind. What makes you think the stock has been refinished? Is it because it looks too good? Or, is there something else?

The barrel definitely isnā€™t worn out. The rifling is in great shape and as I said, likely been fired less than 100 times. I fired it when I was between 13 ~ 15 years old. That may have been the last time it was fired, and was over 50 years ago. 

Also, if I read your feedback correctly it sounds like you agree itā€™s a ā€œmixmaster with typical arsenal rebuild parts upgradesā€ So Iā€˜m thinking that unless itā€™s the stock you commented on being refinished, then all mixmasters are shooter grade. Is that correct?

Let me know what youā€™d like to see up closer that would help identify the stock as refinished or original? Iā€™d be happy to post that for you and others.  Thanks again and let me know.

Take careā€¦ Mike
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2022 at 8:40am
Mike, by refinished I was mostly referring to the metal. The stock looks like an M2 "potbelly" replacement stock (post WW2). No markings in the slingwell? Looks like it has a repair on the nose, done neatly. I would say maybe that was from when it was manufactured just because it fits so well and there's not much incentive for someone to repair an M2 stock like that. Doesn't look like it's been sanded down. The stock would not have been original to the rifle. A common stock to find surplus in excellent condition or even new so it's not particularly collectable. But I prefer that type of stock on carbines that I shoot regularly. IMO they are great for shooter rifles. Your handguard is WW2 Overton/Inland.
It's hard to judge how many rounds have been fired through a barrel. Most of carbine muzzle wear was from sectioned steel cleaning rods. Brand new barrels will usually show some tiny crisp chatter marks in the lands, and lands and grooves crisp right to the muzzle. Yours has a better chance of being that new as a replacement barrel.
In any case it sounds like a special rifle if you were shooting it as a kid.

MJC1156 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJC1156 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2022 at 9:06am
Thanks again for the input. You are correct that itā€™s an M2 stock, but not a pot belly. You are correct that there are no markings in the slingwell. 

The receiver looks great. Action is nice, etc. How does one identify with certainty that a rifle like this is an ā€œas isā€ piece that was reassembled post WWII for use in Korea with mixed parts?

You mentioned looking at more photos. Are there any more youā€™d like to see per your previous request? Or, are you certain itā€™s not any more than a shooter based on what you see now? Thanks again for your time. Mike

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2022 at 9:33am
Your 3rd and 7th picture from the top show the profile. The stock has the beefier forend and is proud by the trigger guard cutout, which I why I called it a "potbelly" or type V. The earlier type V had a more pronounced profile but yours is a type V. The barrel channel picture shows a "long channel" 4.15" which all type V have (the picture resizing caused the ratio to look strange but I'm going from the band spring location). Yours is definitely not a type IV.

I'd say more likely to be an unmessed with if you know where it's been since the 60s.

I would identify that rifle as a nice mixmaster shooter grade. If you took close up photos of all the markings we could tell you more, but I doubt we'd find anything rare. But it doesn't need to be either, heck you have the carbine you shot as a kid and got from your Dad, that's pretty great in itself.

MJC1156 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJC1156 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2022 at 10:50am
Thanks for the additional information on the stock. Much appreciated! I like your comment on my dad and just keeping it. I donā€™t need the money, but my wife isnā€™t a gun fan (understatement) and I donā€™t shoot anymore, so that was the driving force. Good point, thoughā€¦ 

Just to finish up a little more since Iā€™ve looked a little closer. The trigger housing is made by inland (stamped inland). The hammer is KR2 (Rock-ola), the receiver is IBM as already shown, and I found another ā€œMā€ (IBM) further up the receiver near where the barrel fits up. Front site is stamped ā€œNā€ (Inland), and thatā€™s about it. 

Well, youā€™ve helped a lot and I appreciate your time and knowledge. Maybe Iā€™ll just hide it better :-)! 

Take care and have a nice holidayā€¦

Mike

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2022 at 11:27am
The Rock-ola hammer was originally on a late rifle. Not rare but worth 15 or 20 bucks more than others in same condition.

I think a lot of aversion to guns is just not knowing about them. I have taken a few new shooters out that were neutral or even leaning anti and they had a positive impression after. I did have one SO that seemed to not like me after that LOL. I don't think I've seen anyone that didn't have a smile after shooting an M1 carbine and hearing a little bit of it's history. Don't know if that would apply to your wife or not. Pretty much anything can be used for good or evil. Worst case, as you said hide it ;)

Happy to help and have a merry Christmas.
 Post Reply Post Reply