Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Plainfield Carbine Muzzle Brake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tultalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plainfield Carbine Muzzle Brake
    Posted: Dec 18 2022 at 6:26pm
Hi:

I have Plainfield M1 Carbine Serial 39316. Has a muzzle break that appears to be soldered on
up against the front sight. Barrel appears to be threaded (maybe) where sight is attached.
  Have gone through Plainfield brochures and sales stuff and I see nothing about muzzle break etc.
Stock also looks to be relieved for selective fire lever.
  Muzzle brake appears same diameter as barrel, thin wall with slots on top. Searched Internet and could find nothing that looked like that.

Thanks
Robert
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2022 at 7:51pm
Sounds like it may be a Herter's Recoil Eliminator. Does it look like the picture below?

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tultalk View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tultalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2022 at 12:03am
Thanks for response. No, it is about 2 1/2" long with 4  1/8" slots in the top and close to same dia as barrel and looks soldered on.
Will send pic tomorrow.
tultalk View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tultalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2022 at 7:53am
Spoke with son this a.m. He put the brake on.
Thanks for time
Regards
Robert
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2022 at 11:28am
Robert, would still be interested in seeing some pictures of it, if possible. 

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tultalk View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tultalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2022 at 12:52pm

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2022 at 1:56pm
CCNL 230-6 shows a drawing similar to what you have. It is reported as Millville Muzzel (sic). This may be Millville Ordnance company, AKA MOCO. Article says it includes silver solder. No mention of threading.

If you read to the end of the web pages of MOCO you will see the story continues with H&S and on to Plainfield. Interesting connection Moco-Plainfield.

WB 3 pg 1647 has a 2 inch long device that has slots on both sides.

I believe somewhere in the WB series there was an experimental that looked like the OPs, but being a commercial carbine and it was stated that it was added by someone, I did not look further.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2022 at 11:03pm
Taking pictures tonight of some LR accessories, low and behold what did I find?
Two similar devices, one stepped on one side to fit the barrel, the other fits the barrel from either end.
Tultalk was not kidding when he said it was a thin wall pipe!
I cannot see this doing much of anything for recoil. Maybe it would modify the shape of the flash.
Either way, interesting stuff

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/5600/plainfeildMuzzel.jpg
tultalk View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tultalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2022 at 8:43am
Hi:  Thanks for response. Mine is like the rt photo at left.
If slotted only on top won't venting gas prevent some climbing?

Robert
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2022 at 9:03am
Originally posted by tultalk tultalk wrote:

If slotted only on top won't venting gas prevent some climbing?
Robert

In theory and in full-auto yes, but I really wonder how effective or practical it is on a M1 carbine, especially the type that opens-up just past the muzzle.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2022 at 9:13am
Path of leas resistance. There is nothing really forcing the gas out the  slots.
As FtC points out it opens after the muzzle. If there was a cap at the  end with a smaller hole then the gasses would be pushed out the slots and maybe have a better result

Edited by New2brass - Dec 21 2022 at 9:36am
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2022 at 3:31pm
Does this mean the OP has an example of this"muzzle break" that Larry Ruth didn't have? I noticed the OPs has four slots and the ones from Mr Ruth's collection all have more than four. Makes me wonder if there are more examples either longer or shorter than the ones pictured here, especially if it was an experiment of some sort by some company
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2022 at 7:53pm
Jon, Anything is possible.
The HF Co. around the corner devices in Larry's collection had several variations. But those were the prototypes that Larry obtained.

Tonight I took pictures of the Texas Armament blank fire device. I then realized it was different then the one in the article on those devices.

Companies would contact Larry and he would help them, in return Larry got some interesting items be it prototype or production.

As to Larry having a 4 slot or not, cannot say. I only know what I have processed so far.

Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2022 at 12:09pm
Thank you for all your work Dan and keeping us all posted on this, this is extremely interesting!
 Post Reply Post Reply