Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trigger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trigger
    Posted: Jan 15 2023 at 3:56pm
I have a M-1 carbine trigger that is marked lN on the right side.
Can anyone tell me what contractor the lN is for? 
Herschel
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2023 at 10:57pm
Can you post a picture of it?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2023 at 12:02am
Did you mean hammer?
If the trigger, look close at the "l" does it look like a trident or pitchfork?
Herschel View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2023 at 1:10pm
Herschel
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2023 at 1:29pm
Herschel, really hard to make out anything with that picture, almost looks like an over stamp (I see a partial S, a partial N, even what may be an I), if possible, can you post some more from different angles, maybe with a flashlight shining from the side. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Mike in NC View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2023 at 3:01pm
I have a NOS IBM trigger from the original packaging. It looks like it is most likely a SKB trigger that is poorly stamped. The "S" shows, the "K" is a partial stamp that looks something like an "N", and all of the "B" I can see is the left backbone of the "B" that looks like an "I".

I wonder if the OP's trigger is a that marking wheree the S is a partial stamp, a partial stamp of the letter K that looks like an "N", and the "I" is really a partial "B" stamp. That is my best guess.
Herschel View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2023 at 5:48pm
Herschel
Herschel View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2023 at 6:35pm
Herschel
Herschel View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2023 at 6:57pm
I think I may have found what lN is for.
It may be for Internation Register.
Found this at:
Page eleven.
Thank for the help.
Herschel
Herschel
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2023 at 8:14pm
Your onedrive  link does not work. What book is it referencing?
International Register made sights, no records of anything else.

Mike in NC may be on to something. Carbine Club Newsletter 335 reports a triple marked trigger. There was another newsletter with a double marked trigger of the same variation.
Silver Creek made triggers SK-B for IBM and SN for National Postal Meter. The double marked on had both those markings.
I can See the SN. The I  over the S may be a mistake. The line above looks to be a machining marking

You will get better picture results wiping with oil. wipe off excess to prevent a shine.Other letters may show up

Herschel View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2023 at 12:51pm
Herschel
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2023 at 2:44pm
Ok, I am familiar with that document. It was discussed in CCNL 202-1 and points out errors as well as spelling.
The notice the Memorandums mention the M1903 and the M1917. When you get to page 11 it seems to be an accumulation of all of the markings. Though I have not bothered going through them to verify every item. Then there are companies that were not even involved with carbine production on that list.

Page 11 also has the Carbine Cal 30 handwritten. Who wrote it? If is certainly not part of the memorandum. If you look closer there are other hand written notes saying carbine pt.
Graham Mfg as GM, but they are known to only make sears. They are marked GB for IBM and GU for Underwood. B was the carbine code for the prime manufacturer IBM.

Two lines down is Gray Mfg, who is also assigned GM. How would you know who made a carbine part marked GM? Grey is known to only make hammers marked GMB, now let me know who you think it was made for?

There are other ordnance documents that have errors as well that mention a part marking but attribute the incorrect prime manufacturer.

In CCNL 206-3, 4 has information from Inland documents where it is clear the document you point out does not match what Inland was doing. pg 7 discusses ordnance documents found in the National Archives from Major M.L. DeGuire to Major Sam Marshal and defines the requirements for marking components of the carbine.
The marking of carbine parts to identify the prime contractor was a requirement of the Ordnance Department. This way if there was an issue with parts, Ordnance would know which prime contractor was responsible. The prime contractor is assumed to be the manufacturer of subcontracted parts for legal and financial reasons. Ordnance was not concerned with the subcontractors as their contracts were direct with the prime contractors.

For the most part the carbine parts are marked from the subcontractor to the prime contractor.
The GB sear and GMB hammer were both made for IBM, and it was IBM that chose to use those designations,
When you get ti inland you will find there were  different parts all with the marking PI. and by different companies
PI Slide - Packard
PI recoil Plate - Parker Wire Goods
PI gas Piston- Perry Fan
For RI Inland had 4 different parts from 3 different manufacturers.

Underwood had a different approach. They used the first initial of the subcontractor. If they came to another subcontractor that had letter that was already in use, it appears they would use the first unused letter in the alphabet.

So absent better pictures with a oil wipe down, I am going to stand by that yours is SN Silver Creek for National Postal Meter

Herschel View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2023 at 3:07pm
I say you are right.
If I had a better camera I could take better pictures.
I did use a lead pencil on it and can just make out a light S over the I.

Thanhs
Herschel
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2023 at 3:15pm
your camera is fine. A camera sees things different then the eye.
Sunny day near a window is usually great, providing it is not direct sunlight.

The pencil marks may be obscuring or filling in markings, that is why I recommended a oil wipe down.
I take lots of pictures of carbine parts and found it cleans and helps the camera see the machining marks and stamps better.
But not a biggie if you are satisfied.
 Post Reply Post Reply