The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors > Larry Ruth Items of Interest
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Larry Ruth's collection: small stuff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Larry Ruth's collection: small stuff
    Posted: Mar 17 2023 at 2:59pm
From Larry Ruth's house, I recently shipped a 50 pound box to my home, containing all kinds of small stuff: manufacturers' publications, posters and advertisements from manufacturers and subcontractors, post-WWII mag pouches, manufacturers' awards to employees, etc. Two Army-Navy "E" flags, one from Delco and the other from a steel manufacturer in Indiana.

I plan to post several items on the first day of every month, beginning April 1st at 6 pm PDT, using the Ruth family's ebay account, Ruthintheoutfield.

A few days prior, I will give Forum members a "heads up" as to the items that will be listed, so Club Members can get on ebay when the listings begin. Some items will have a Buy It Now option; others will only have a minimum starting bid (because I have no idea what the market value of many items are.)

If something does not sell after 2 weeks, I will keep the listing and lower the price. All proceeds go to Larry's family.

If any Club members are interested in any non-firearm accessories you've seen photographed in one of Larry's books, PM me and perhaps we can agree to a price.   You can also email me at carbinecal30@gmail.com

Regards, mb

Marty Black
Dirty30Carbine View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2023 at 5:22pm
Looking forward to it 
Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2023 at 8:04pm
The following items from the collection of Larry Ruth will be listed on ebay on Saturday, April 1 and Sunday April 2. I will list each item approximately 10 minutes apart from 5pm to 7pm West Coast time (PDT), so that - when the bids close a week later - those collectors who want to place last-minute bids on more than 1 item can easily do so. 11 items will be listed on Saturday evening, and 10 more items on Sunday evening.

Another batch of items will be listed in May.

You can find these items by searching for the Ruth family's ebay User Name of: Ruthintheoutfield

My previous post on this subject indicated that there would be a "Buy It Now" option, but sorry to say that all these items will be "Auction" only with a minimum starting bid. I really don't know what these items are worth, so we'll let the collectors' market decide their value.

With that said, however, if you see an item that you cannot live without, send me your best offer and I'll discuss it with the Ruth family. If your offer is accepted, I'll remove the item from ebay and save the family 15% in ebay and paypal charges.

These ebay listings will have an honest description and adequate photos, but if you have any questions, PM me or email at carbinecal30@gmail.com

If an item doesn't sell after 2 weeks, the minimum starting bid will be lowered.

Thanks for your support of the Ruth family.

See below. Regards, Marty Black

SATURDAY:

Delco Division of GM Army-Navy "E" flag/pennant with ceremony program, 1943

National Postal Meter employee award and NPM apron patch

Irwin-Pedersen Security Dep't hat badge

Buffalo Arms Corp employee awards lapel pins (3 different)

M2 Carbine disassembly mat, green canvas, yellow marking

1941-1942 Ordnance Department reports (lot of 2, quite thick). Each book has a short article introducing the "new" M1 Carbine

Carbine cover/case by Paulin 1950s, see WBIII, pages 1354-1355

Plainfield and Universal commemorative items (3)

Commercial Controls 1944 booklet. It's really cool.

"Carbine" Williams photo and letter of provenance from his wife

Australian Sterling F1 SMG magazine pouch pocket, Vietnam vintage, mint condition

SUNDAY:

M1 Carbine 7052438 "clip" pouch pocket (2) Korean or Vietnam vintage.

37mm anti-tank gun telescope sight (we have no idea why Larry collected this)

Lot of 4 collectable mag pouches pockets (3 are 30-round)

Buffalo Arms "Certificate of Merit" employee award 1944, still in it's original mailing tube

Standard Products "Wartime Industrial Achievement" booklet, and a post-contract report that is very interesting.

Saginaw Steering Gear "Out of the Valley to Victory" book

"Winchester Goes to WWII" booklet (in color, definitely a PR advertising item)

Quality Hardware 1930s photo of the plant (original) and accompanying correspondence to Larry from owner Mr. Laystrom.

M1 Carbine original metal stencil for labeling (painting) wooden crates of 10 carbines. No kidding

Rock-Ola employee apron patch, REPRO new

Edited by Marty Black - Mar 28 2023 at 8:29pm
Marty Black
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2023 at 9:25pm
Sounds like some interesting stuff Marty. Looking forward to seeing the listings.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Dirty30Carbine View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2023 at 9:39pm
I look forward to it, might try to snag some for myself 
Dan Pinto View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Pinto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2023 at 9:17pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2023 at 7:35pm
Hi guys,

I was going to wait until the 1st weekend in May to list (on ebay) the remainder of items that I shipped home from Larry's house. But I work frequently on weekends, often on short notice, so I thought it best that I list the last 26 items now, since I'm commitment-free this weekend.

I'll list half the items tonight (Saturday) - every 10 minutes - from 5-7 pm Pacific Time...and the remainder tomorrow night, same time. This staggered-listing method is for the convenience of anyone who wants to bid on more than one item.

Please have a look at the items on the Ruth family's ebay user name: ruthintheoutfield

For your convenience, below is a synopsis of what will be listed.

Thanks for your interest and support of Larry's family.   

Regards, Marty Black

Several commercial carbine scope mounts. Weaver, Buehler, Williams, Numrich, Alaskan, Redfield

RDC magazine loader and two plastic mag loaders

Two M1A1 parts kits (but no leather cheek piece, no stock)

M1A1 rivets for the leather cheek piece

M1 Carbine Disassembly Mat, white cloth

M2 Carbine Disassembly Mat, vinyl 1949

Package of 10 M12 tool rolls NOS (no tools; canvas only)

USMC marked (very faint, but genuine) Ammunition pouch/bag 7052438, likely Vietnam vintage

Lot of 20 magazine ads featuring the Carbine (all originals, not photocopies) For the walls of your Man Cave!

Irwin-Pedersen Security Officer badge, large size to be worn on chest, but pin on back missing

Buffalo Arms - a named woman employee's awards.

Postwar German M8 cleaning rod and M1 cases NOS (for your "Bavarian" carbine!)

WWII "War Loan" Minuteman pennant for selling war bonds, 8' tall ! Hang this in your bar !

Lot of WWII and later miscellaneous canvas field gear, one is likely unmarked USMC

.30 cal machine gun cleaning rods (2) new in WWII wrap, plus 1 M8 rod/M1 Case named to a WWII GI

M8 cleaning rod new in wrap, 1944

Lot of military marksmanship medals, most for Carbine

WWII Army-Navy "E" flag, 3rd award for Greer Steel Co. of Anderson, IN, nice ! ! ! !

Another Australian mag pouch for Sterling F1 SMG, NOS (Vietnam vintage)

Another Saginaw Steering Gear "Out of the Valley" book, labeled to an individual employee

Marty Black
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2023 at 12:14pm
Marty, That Saginaw "Out of the valley" book named to Henry H. Boyd
If I have the right guy,
 just before the War was with Accurate Tool and Die
During the was he was an instructor for a "National Defense Program"

here is the interesting one, 1950 he is listed as the proprietor of an auto parts factory

Interesting the book is numbered, Anyone see this before, and how high of a number.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2023 at 12:51pm
Very interesting, thanks Dan!   I have only seen 3 of the "Out of the Valley" books, and this is the only one that has a name attached to it.

Mr. Doerfner signed his copy and gave it to me, but it didn't have any kind of "presentation stamp" on it.

The member who runs the Michigan military museum mentioned that he has several copies. He would be one to ask if any of them have names attached.

Regards, mb
Marty Black
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2023 at 12:56pm
Next time I’m at the museum it’s on my list to pull out the books and have a closer look at them.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2023 at 5:32pm
and I stumbled on something else:
Australian mag pouch for Sterling F1 SMG, NOS (Vietnam vintage)
WB 3 page 1637 has the picture of the one listed.
"After they were declared surplus these pockets were sold by Cheaper Than Dirt for use with their 40-round magazines"
The magazines in question are on page 1632
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 5:32pm
Well Jim has gotten on the case!
The Saginaw book presented to George H Boyd was the chairman of the board of the Saginaw Lumber Company.
Sag Lumber co was national company and unclear if he was involved outside of Michigan.

George H. Boyd served as the president of the Saginaw Community Chest where William H Doerfner served as the third vice president.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/7129/GeorgeBoyd.jpg

The listing will be update with information, If anyone is interested in the book, let us know and we can provide all the information we now have.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 7:35pm
Several items sold last night.
Tonight a AS T2 barrel band, IU oiler, IW blued oiler, Underwood trigger housing group that does not have double hammer marks. Wartime correct safety and mag catch
A few other small items as well

Monday night, W flat bolt with internals
F in heart .U. slide,
Italian bayo in an Italian scabbard
several books including some non carbine (garand, M1903 etc) with many more to be listed.

Some items are not allowed on eBay, such as collector ammo and possibly training ordnance. 
These will go to auction houses unless it finds a home first.

If there is something you want, and there are no bids then PM or email me with an offer.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2023 at 10:09am
Lots of great small stuff listed last night (5/31/23). Hopefully some of it ends up in my collection. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2023 at 7:48pm
Wayne, I hope it all winds up in our club members collections! Listed some Rockola parts new in the wrap, SG and S'G' as well!
some T3 bands new in the wrap as well, Previously I have never seen them.
Tonight there will be listings of canvas items. Cary case, Armored vehicle storage bag, Garand case made from a carbine case, experimental holster etc.

What will tomorrow bring?
One of the slow ups is finding certain items in the War Baby books, so anyone following if they see something that I did not cite, please let me know.
Flipping through WB3 I realized I have several sniper type scopes that are in the book, Usually on the M1d or the 03 sniper. Problem is I know nothing about them or values. Anyone?
 Post Reply Post Reply